OH's best mate looking at photos of me on PC!!

Options

Comments

• raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be annoyed if someone was rifling through my stuff when I was not here so you are not alone butterfly.

Why is it no-one has any manners or respect for others peoples things these days? It sounds like it is almost expected these days! No!! If I leave an album or photos on the table then yes, please have a look that is what they are there for and I have left them in a public area, if something is put away in a cupboard or is on a computer then you can only have a look when invited.

People should not have to encrypt their computers in their own homes? What next, he nicks something and you say it's her fault for letting him in!!

People should not be rifling through other peoples things - friends or not - unless invited to do so. I've had long term friends and I would not dream of going to their houses and rifling through their stuff. That is just down right rude and bad mannered.

That's what I find surprising too, that people don't seem to think there is anything wrong with someone looking through your laptop. I have my own laptop but it isn't password protected because I don't feel the need, but if someone was staying in my house and decided to go through my laptop without me being there I would really pee'd off! I have no problem with people using my lappy to check things like Facebook/emails/etc but to actually sit there and go through my pics/files (unless a really good friend) while I wasn't there I wouldn't be best pleased.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would be annoyed if someone was rifling through my stuff when I was not here so you are not alone butterfly.

Why is it no-one has any manners or respect for others peoples things these days? It sounds like it is almost expected these days! No!! If I leave an album or photos on the table then yes, please have a look that is what they are there for and I have left them in a public area, if something is put away in a cupboard or is on a computer then you can only have a look when invited.

People should not have to encrypt their computers in their own homes? What next, he nicks something and you say it's her fault for letting him in!!

People should not be rifling through other peoples things - friends or not - unless invited to do so. I've had long term friends and I would not dream of going to their houses and rifling through their stuff. That is just down right rude and bad mannered.
    raven83 wrote: »
    That's what I find surprising too, that people don't seem to think there is anything wrong with someone looking through your laptop. I have my own laptop but it isn't password protected because I don't feel the need, but if someone was staying in my house and decided to go through my laptop without me being there I would really pee'd off! I have no problem with people using my lappy to check things like Facebook/emails/etc but to actually sit there and go through my pics/files (unless a really good friend) while I wasn't there I wouldn't be best pleased.

I would be annoyed too if somebody used my computer without asking me first - whether it had been left switched on (fat chance lol) or not! I have many files which are personal/ financial files which are for my eyes only.

My other issue would be regarding them using the internet. There are so many dangers to letting another person use your computer for surfing the internet if you are not around and I don't just mean viruses.
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. Welshwoofs.. I dont look too bad but still no reason to go looking!

I know he only looked at the bikini pics because they are the ones that show in the history. I have no special folder.. They are all shown on the screen..albeit tiny pics and you select the ones you want to see in greater detail in a new window. These show on the internet hx. If he likes looking at people..then then there are plenty to choose from!

I must admit i couldnt resist looking to see if he'd looked. I had the pc on anyway. We dont have the pc on security or pw protected as theres just me and OH.

Not sure i can make a joke out it... I'm fuming!! I think I'll have to tell OH. Perhaps when he's gone? Its his life long mate. I made the point of telling you his age so you can appreciate its not some randy teenager getting cheap thrills. That i could forgive!

For those that think its acceptable to look at such photos... I disagree. I was on public display on the beach but my photos aren't! I think it was disrespectful for him to look at ANY of our photos on our pc without asking first.

Really. Get over yourself.

It sounds almost like entrapment. What's the difference between prancing about in a bikini in real life in front of people you don't know and looking at pictures?
    If it creeped you out so much the last time and you knew he was staying, put a password on your computer.

Disrespectful? Gah!

It sounds like you're enjoying all the attentio to me.

Oh and 40 isn't old. :mad:
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    pimento wrote: »

It sounds almost like entrapment. What's the difference between prancing about in a bikini in real life in front of people you don't know and looking at pictures?
    If it creeped you out so much the last time and you knew he was staying, put a password on your computer.

Disrespectful? Gah!

Not really enjoying OH's best mate going into my private files to look at my holiday snaps. Not enjoying the attention. Entrapment...no, it was a long time ago he looked and i did try and do something about it but ... You know what i can't be arsed to explain to you...!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    I personally wouldn't be happy. If I was staying with someone I would not use their computer without their permission, and I would certainly not access personal files.
    I don't blame you for feeling upset.
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    OP, have you put any of said pictures on Facebook?
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I find it utterly unacceptable to go through anyones photoes without consent. It dosen't matter if they are encrypted or protected in any other way. He shouldn't have looked in the first place.

The fact that he was only looking at bikini shots makes it so much worse. I don't see why you should feel flattered at all by him perving, as suggested by other posters. I suspect he didn't have you in mind and not hes best buddy either. If he did, he wouldn't have done it.
  • mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Options
    OP, tell your husband he has been looking at pictures of you again and you are not going to make an issue of it but this guy is not to use the PC when you are not there. If it is a laptop, remove it or take it with you. If it is a standalone desktop computer, remove the keyboard while you are not there - HE will know that you know, if he does needs an explanation then tell him that you know he has been looking at pictures of you and YOUR HUSBAND has suggested removing the keyboard while there is no-one else home. I cannot imagine for one minute he would challenge that decision and ask your husband why he has done that.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    pimento wrote: »

Disrespectful? Gah!

There is a huge difference between 'prancing about' in front of people you do not know and people you do know actually. I would NEVER wear a bikini in front of people I do not know, I would in front of people I did not. They could have been on a secluded beach as well, the OP has not told us it was a packed beach.

Entrapment !!!!!!? The woman does not trust him and so she checked up on him - and guess what? She has every reason not to trust him. It's like having £100 tucked in the back of your bedroom drawer and then checking that it is still there because you know the guy has taken money from you in the past. If he had done this you would make sure there is no money left lying around...... PC's are not so easy to remove.

If the lady wanted to be seen she would have the pictures all over Facebook or around the home, the fact that they were on the computer shows that she did not want to share the pictures with everyone and they were PRIVATE memories for her and her husband and he should not have been looking through their personal files.

I know what she were saying about the age, she never implied he was 'old' she said it so people could see that this was not some kid perving over pictures but someone who is old enough to know better not to go rifling through someones personal things!!!!
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    And if any of you found out that someone you had invited into your home had gone onto your computer, searched through your PERSONAL pictures and had been accessing pictures of your husband/wife wearing not much then you would be far from 'flattered'. What if it was private pictures of your teenager or child? Would you still feel comfortable? Would that still be acceptable? Would it matter if she is in her underwear? Is it OK because it is a bikini? She was still wearing something she did not want people to see her in.

Out of curiosity for those who think it is OK - would opening her mail before she gets home be acceptable? What about going through her drawers, clothing, personal possessions or belongs? I am genuinely intrigued as to whether you think this is acceptable behaviour from a guest in your home and if not, why it differs from him looking at pictures of her on her computer.

I am still absolutely stunned that people think that going through someones' pictures on their computer is acceptable - it's a huge invasion of someone's privacy. I guess that those people would be more than happy to do this themselves which just shows you have no manners or respect for other peoples personal things and that, in itself, is pretty disgusting tbh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure