MSE Pregnancy Club 25

Options

Comments

• Rups32
    Rups32 Posts: 4,745 Forumite
    Options
    I hope not to spend much time on public transport at all and if i do, it would be to go see daddy at his work, so then yes, bus, train and tube.
    Became Mrs H on the 1st of October 2011!!

Little Kung fu bubba due on the 24th of December 2012. :j

Cutie pie Andre born on the 3rd of January 2013 via C-Section. :-) :j
  • Rups32
    Options
    thanks for the shop info ems2 :) will have to drag out DH and go see prams as he is just busy this week!

• LittleMoog
    LittleMoog Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Rups32 wrote: »
    I hope not to spend much time on public transport at all and if i do, it would be to go see daddy at his work, so then yes, bus, train and tube.

Don't forget about when you go back to work - where will your childcare be, will you have to drop baby off on the way?
    Little monkey born November 2012:j
    Froglet due March 2016 :D
  • savageHK
    savageHK Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Options
    Rups, might be worth asking John Lewis if the Croydon one is big enough? There are a load of considerations and you should try it out in person to see if it's comfy to push and so on. As for the forward/backward facing thing I'm sure some of them can swap around and do both?
  • Rups32
    Options
    The croydon JL is a bit small so not sure if thy will have it. think will try that valley park mothercare and also the independent one that was mentioned here to try it out. have warned dh that we need to make time for the trip now as we def need to sort a car seat.

sorry tmi, but i am so gassy today..lol and to top it up, havent helped myself and made myself some lentils and rice for dinner. my tummy is struggling. lol.

• martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2012 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Rups, it is going to be very difficult (and expensive) to get everything you might want, I think it would be good to make a list of what it is most important for you, and what it would be a bonus, so you can make a shortlist or go to a shop with a list of essential requirements.

Have a look here at John Lewis guidelines. I think the main things to think about are:

1. Where will you be using it? If you will use it mainly to go around the park, you live near the countryside or you have uneven terrain, then you might need a sturdy one, all terrain, with air wheels. If you will be using it in the city, maybe one with swivel rubber wheels. If you plan to go shopping with it, you will need a bigger basket. The carricot is not a requirement unless your lifestyle says so. If you plan to walk a lot then it will be good to have one, because it is better than using the car seat. If you do not have a moses, you might use it around the house to carry the baby around and allow her/him to have quick naps in it. But if you plan short trips and you have a moses, then it might not be needed. Your baby will be able to hold his/her neck in a few months (4-6) and you will move into a standing position anyway. If storage or money is an issue, see if you really need it.

2. Who will be using it? If both you and your husband are going to use it, then maybe you need one where you can change the height of the handles. If you are going to use it mainly on your own, you might want one that it is easy to fold and lightweight. If you have the infant car seat aswell, consider the fact that you will carry the seat with a baby in it when thinking about its weight and how easy it is to click back in the system or out of it. If you are on your own most of the time, and you need to fold and unfold, you might consider the ones than can be folded/unfolded with one hand if you are planning to have the car seat permanently in the car. Think how much weight you will be able to carry, a big one will give you more storage but you might find it difficult to manoeuvre and it might not be easy to store. A lighter one might be easy to drive but maybe it won't give you as much basket space. Consider not only how easy it is to fold but also how easy it is to put it back together when you take it out of the boot.

3. How much room does it take? Will it fit in your car boot? Where will you keep it? If you have a hall area where you can leave it open, then it might not be important how small it folds or how easily, only when putting it in the boot. If you have little room and needs to be store by the door and folded, then you need to prioritize space when folded. Where will you keep the car seat? Can you leave it in the car at all times? Will you want to just take the car seat with you back home if the baby is asleep in there? If you buy a base, this will be fitted in the car, so you will lose a seat permanently but it will be easier to click and unclick the seat, specially if you have a three door car, as it has been mentioned. If you have two cars, you will have to think about this as well, as you might need to buy a base for each, or just move the car seat from one to another when needed.

4. Will you have another child soon? What will you prefer if so:? a double pram (then do not invest a lot of money now), a carrier and your current pram (then make sure it will last), or a board attachment for your toddler and the pram (then make sure you can attach the board for the toddler to stand on it). If you plan to have another child, consider looking for neutral colours. Also, if you plan to use it a lot, maybe look for darker colours, as they will hide the stains better. And if your hubby is like mine, he will just prefer neutral darker colours if he is thinking of driving the pram himself.

5. Other: accessories can be purchased separately most of the times: cosytoes/footmuffs, umbrellas, rain covers, drink attachments, etc... all these might be available separately as universal attachments. Think if you want rear of forward facing. If you get a travel system with the car seat, it will face you anyway. Some research says that it is better for the baby to face you and see your face and your expressions because it stimulates the baby and learns to copy much faster, other research says after certain age it might be better to face out because there are more things to see and it stimulates the baby because s/he will be more curious about the environment. Whatever you think. I have the baby carrier and the car seat so she will be facing me, but I also have the pram facing out, I have not decided yet what to believe! Lol. Make sure whatever you buy it is suitable from birth, so it either has a carricot or it reclines about 150 degrees if the baby might have naps in it and you plan to be out and about for long periods of time.

For me, it was easy: I will use it in the city, I might shop occasionally but probably only small items or a couple of bags, I will use public transport a lot and the car seat will only be used at weekends when DH is around and can take us to places. I have a moses and I have little room in the flat. I went for a pram+car seat, swivel wheels, lightweight, easy folding, small basket, and one that took little room. I also have a baby carrier for more general use and specially because I use public transport a lot. Think of what you need, think of your lifestyle, and go for what it is practical to you. It is easy to be overwhelmed by all the options, narrow them down to 3-5 essentials and work with that.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    I know, babymonster, she should just refund or offer a partial refund at least! She has just sent me a message saying she will refund if I return the item. I have replied saying that if I do not return it, I will be £3.60+ out of pocket with a top I cannot wear; if I return it, I will be £6+ out of pocket without the top. I have asked if she would also pay the return costs... and she said she would only pay for second class. She wants me to get proof of posting, but what should I do? If she then says she has never received the item back, I would be out of pocket about £6-£7 for the cost of the item plus my return p&p second class. Or I can send it traceable, but she would only refund the second class value, which would make me around £3.30 out of pocket anyway... if that is what she meant, she might mean she will only refund her second class post! She obviously does not value her feedback very much, she is being really difficult to deal with, starting with the insinuation that I was making these stains up!! :( If I get proof of postage only, I will have to rely on her honesty for a refund, but will still lose money. eBay and Paypal require me to use a tracking number if I open a dispute through their resolution center, which would also leave me out of pocket. If I do nothing... I will also be out of pocket... Argh.... I hate the situation, thanks god that it is just petty money, I would be crossed if it were something of more value!!!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Rups32
    Options
    thanks marta. that is very helpful and hopefully we can save loads too as DONT want to spend loads on it nd not use half the stuff. :) will you sort your refund then? i bought something ages ago and it was an indian suit. it was so huge that it looked like a tent. they made it so hard for me to return and i would have to pay loads to post it back. i left it. :( and it cost me 40 quid. what a waste. i want to try and sell it on ebay. i hate doing stuff like that.

• dizsiebubba
    Options
    Toys r us has all the buggys out to test too
    :jBaby Boy born December 2012 :heart:
  • LittleMoog
    LittleMoog Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Morning ladies :)

Had a very sore bump all day yesterday, but feeling much better today (so far at least!) hope it continues as I was a bit of a misery last night, and I'm out for dinner with my NCT ladies tonight so want to be sociable :)

DH is going to his mum's tonight as his brother is coming back from NZ after 2 years away and he's going to collect him & his GF from the airport at 5am (:eek:) tomorrow. Can't wait to see them, it's been such a long time :j We've got lots of family stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks, as BIL is only home for 4 weeks then off to Japan for 6 months! Hopefully Beanie will make a slightly early appearance so they can all be introduced before they go. :cool:
    Little monkey born November 2012:j
    Froglet due March 2016 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family