We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Pregnancy Club 25

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poppy27 wrote: »
    There is def too much choice! Went into Kiddicare to look at car seats and there were so many! I said there should only be 3 choices - a big n bulky one, a lightweight one, and pretty patterned one!

Car seats are easy..

Pretty = sold to look nice not usually fare well in tests.
    Lightweight = not usually very comfy as meant for occasional use
    Big and bulky = not to be carried about or used outside of the car

Have a look at the which buying guides they are usually pretty good.

We had the Britax shr for the last 2 and while the seat was fantastic and sturdy and best in trials the babies were too upright and uncomfortable. I got the besafe izi go for this one (it matches my 2 bigger seats :o) and it is a lovely seating position for the baby, laid much flatter so better for the monthly 2-3 hour trips we do.. light enough for lifting out of the car and didn't break the bank!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • bella2121
    bella2121 Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    Options

Stressing slightly over DHs leave, as he started a new job in April, he's not entitled to paternity leave, so work have said he can take two weeks annual leave, and anything over that as unpaid which is fair enough. But they want him to fix the dates now (understandable really, as other people might want to book leave too). But obviously we not know exactly when bump will arrive, we can't really afford for DH to take the unpaid leave and don't want DH to spend two weeks off sat waiting on bump! So have no idea what he should ask for.

Surely he could just give them a rough idea maybe give them your due dates and say it'll be within either 4ish weeks after that date unless baby comes early then possibly before, I'd like to think they'd have the common sense that these things can't be planned for exactly but saying that a lot of employers are from a different planet :rotfl:
    ***** on the road to debt freedom *****

Baby girl due September 2013
  • bride2be2012
    Options
    bella2121 wrote: »
    Surely he could just give them a rough idea maybe give them your due dates and say it'll be within either 4ish weeks after that date unless baby comes early then possibly before, I'd like to think they'd have the common sense that these things can't be planned for exactly but saying that a lot of employers are from a different planet :rotfl:

You would've thought so, but no! They're not exactly on the ball when it comes to, well anything, really! My main worry just now is that if DH leaves it much longer to decide, other people will book off holidays around that time, and he won't get anything! My due date is the Friday, so I'm thinking he should say the two weeks immediately after..up here they book you in for induction 10days after your due date, so taking weekends into account DH would still have at least a week at home with us before going back. Of course, if we do this, bump will prob decide to show up 2 weeks early or something!
  • ktb
    ktb Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stressing slightly over DHs leave, as he started a new job in April, he's not entitled to paternity leave, so work have said he can take two weeks annual leave, and anything over that as unpaid which is fair enough. But they want him to fix the dates now (understandable really, as other people might want to book leave too). But obviously we not know exactly when bump will arrive, we can't really afford for DH to take the unpaid leave and don't want DH to spend two weeks off sat waiting on bump! So have no idea what he should ask for.

My hubby is in almost exactly the same situation b2b. He has been offered 1 week off (paid) but no concurrent annual leave paid or unpaid, due to the team's workload. I know we should be grateful for the 'good will' paid week (& I am!) but as he worked as a contractor for the company for almost a year before going perm, I do feel a bit short changed somehow.

However his work aren't asking us to specify when he'll be off - I have absolutely no idea how that would work? Seems totally unreasonable to me as baby could arrive within such a big window!?

If it were me, I think I'd opt for a week when I definitely knew the baby would be here ie not necessarily the first week after birth, but a week we could all spend together after 42+ weeks. Although not ideal, I'll have Mum around so will manage the early days, whenever they might be, and would rather hubby got some definite time with our new arrival, rather than trying to predict arrival week & just sitting around waiting for something that may/may not happen! I feel your frustration though! Is there any room for flexibility at all do you think?
  • Sparkles87
    Sparkles87 Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have the Mothercare Trenton system, doesn't take up too much room in the cupboard but we have two family-size cars so didn't have to worry too much. It's really sturdy and feels safe. Plus I can collapse it with one hand.

Bride2be2012 - I'd go from the Monday after too. If bump is early, then at least he'll be home with you at some point and hopefully you can rally up some other family support until then? If bump is late, then as you say, he'll still be around post induction.

My OH isn't off until August as I don't see the point in him being off when baby arrives - I'm hoping to BF and have both our mums around so he's going off when baby is six weeks and he can help me a lot more with her.
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from the shop where a small child asked his mother why "that lady" (me) was "circle shaped". I suppose it's better than fat but not a lot :rotfl: To be fair, he was only about 2/3 years old and his mother was far more mortified than I was!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Claree__x wrote: »
    Just back from the shop where a small child asked his mother why "that lady" (me) was "circle shaped". I suppose it's better than fat but not a lot :rotfl: To be fair, he was only about 2/3 years old and his mother was far more mortified than I was!

Did she not just say you had a baby growing in your tummy? It isn't like she could tell them babies grow on trees!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Did she not just say you had a baby growing in your tummy? It isn't like she could tell them babies grow on trees!

She did explain that it was a baby and she was perfectly lovely about it but I think she thought I'd have been seriously offended - I guess it's something I'll have to get used to :rotfl:
  • baleb
    baleb Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I was sitting alone in the pub last night waiting for hubby, when an old man told me that if my mother knew I was here she would be ashamed because someone in my condition should be at home cleaning! I don't know how I didn't smack him lmao!
    I was just sitting there minding my own business with my apple juice...
  • NikkiAnn
    NikkiAnn Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun!

OH has decided to take me out tonight so we're going to a country pub down by a canal for a little walk and some food so I'm going to spend my afternoon having a relaxing bath and getting myself ready - may even brush my hair for the first time in weeks and put some war paint on!!

Shows how much my life has already changed with this being the most exciting thing I've got to look forward to today

Wouldn't mind if baby decided to throw a spanner in the works and make an appearance though!

39 weeks today :)
    New first time mummy to a gorgeous little boy!

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family