MSE Pregnancy Club 25

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,062 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry! I will put a warning next time ;)

They freak me out too... Worst thing I YouTube'd was "natural breech birth"... OMG.

Although at least I'm prepared.

it doesn't matter what the video's look like.. you can't see down there so who cares?!

My sister was breech..and a friends son and my ex-BIL .. it is normal for them to come out 'smiling' sometimes.. it is the medical profession that has prevented it because it requires a bit more care and attention than a head first delivery so there were fewer staff with experience but managed properly it is fine.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've tried to video Wriggler so many times but I swear he knows I'm doing it! For ages if he was going nuts I got DH to put his hands on my tummy and he settled immediately - it was fab for going to sleep but it doesn't work anymore.

Well, he's still breech, I'm back for a scan in 2 weeks (36 weeks) and they're going to book me in for a section if he hasn't turned. However, it does explain me feeling sick the last while, his head was over on the right side of my abdomen at the last scan but he's much more central now so he's using my stomach as a pillow and is sitting on my bladder! They were able to get a fab view of his face, he has wee chubby cheeks and gave us a good flash of his boy bits (he's definitely his daddys boy!) He also gave us a wave and was blowing kisses which delighted the girls!
    Norn Iron Club member 273:beer:
  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Girlzmum wrote: »
    I've tried to video Wriggler so many times but I swear he knows I'm doing it! For ages if he was going nuts I got DH to put his hands on my tummy and he settled immediately - it was fab for going to sleep but it doesn't work anymore.

Well, he's still breech, I'm back for a scan in 2 weeks (36 weeks) and they're going to book me in for a section if he hasn't turned. However, it does explain me feeling sick the last while, his head was over on the right side of my abdomen at the last scan but he's much more central now so he's using my stomach as a pillow and is sitting on my bladder! They were able to get a fab view of his face, he has wee chubby cheeks and gave us a good flash of his boy bits (he's definitely his daddys boy!) He also gave us a wave and was blowing kisses which delighted the girls!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh your post made me smile!!

My mini-person is the same, head on stomach (heartburn), bum on bladder (uti) and legs on top of cervix... Fun fun fun.

Did you have a 3d/4d scan to see everything you describe? We have one Saturday and excited is an understatement :j:j:j

Pigpen - knowone has agreed to a planned breech natural birth... So I a, tempted to refuse a section and someone will deliver it in the hospital right?

Otherwise at 36 weeks im booking in for a section too :o
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • Oscar_the_Pug
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    I believe my daughter has an M&P base.. I can ask if you want.. M62 area is possible for drop offs.. .

Yep would def be interested if it's compatible with the car seat we have: we've already got the Cybex Aton (it was Which Best Buy when I looked, so that's the one we've gone for). Because our garage is so narrow we're not bothered about a travel system - LO will have to be wrestled out of the car cos it's not wide enough to take the whole car seat out! We got the Oh Baby Zezu when it was on offer a few months back: however it takes up most of the boot, so I'll be glad to downsize to a foldable buggy in due course!

I'm still obsessively asking all the mums I know what stage they were at when their 1st baby arrived - I felt more back pain today as though LO was moving down a bit more. I've read it's common for them to start engaging a few weeks before the birth for first timers - just intrigued to work out whether I'll get any me time beforehand as I only go on mat leave at the end of this week. I have dreams of chilling out and watching Wimbledon all day, but can't work out how likely it is I'll get to enjoy it all!

36+0
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,062 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2013 at 7:51PM
    Options
    :j

Pigpen - knowone has agreed to a planned breech natural birth... So I a, tempted to refuse a section and someone will deliver it in the hospital right?

Otherwise at 36 weeks im booking in for a section too :o

They cannot refuse to deliver your baby if you don't want a section. They will try to talk you out of it because you will require more attention and care but there is no reason to immediately jump to a section. They will use all manner of scare tactics but I don't know any breech births where the baby was brain damaged or died.. including my friends very quick unattended unplanned homebirth.. her husband delivered their breech baby girl at home!!

You can be taken for a section if baby gets upset same as any other delivery.

Oscar.. I've messaged DD1 .. so I'll let ye know.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Bangton
    Bangton Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok thank you for the ideas... I need to get the video camera out... This is what I've been experiencing today! http://youtu.be/LSbgBPTu85M

Pigpen - we play that game too except, I poke it, it moves, I shout "Simon Simon come feel", baby stops moving, I poke it, no response, OH gets bored and walks off, I poke it, baby moves, I shout "Simon Simon quick", baby stops moving .... And so on until OH gets bored.

He has felt it move before though - he is waiting for the obvious movement which is almost guaranteed, he's too impatient to sit waiting. Maybe the time has come - I've never felt or seen so much movement!

This is exactly what keeps happening with my partner. I said to him 'why won't you be more patient?' and he asked if I'd ever tried holding my hand in a weird fashion over someone else's belly, then made me do do it to him so I could experience it! It was uncomfortable!

The thing is my baby is a real wriggler, moves quite a bit so I don't know why he never moves when my partner cops a feel. Then again, whenever he does come for a feel this massive claw comes slapping down and probably scares baby away. He doesn't seem to grasp that a lightly rested hand is enough to feel baby! :D
  • Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options

Did you have a 3d/4d scan to see everything you describe? We have one Saturday and excited is an understatement :j:j:j

Nope, ordinary scan but she got a fantastic view of his face! You could see his wee lips moving so clearly and his cheeks were very obvious. I have to say its one advantage to having gestational diabetes - lots of scans! I've had them every 4 weeks until 28 weeks and fortnightly since then.

If he's still breech in a fortnight I'm going to go for the section, I'm not keen on it but I'd rather have him here safe and sound.
    Norn Iron Club member 273:beer:
  • Sparkles87
    Sparkles87 Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like a proper massage (I had a sample), has anyone had one?

29+6 weeks today :)

Yup! LOVE them, been having back, neck and shoulder every two to three weeks since 20-something weeks. It's helped so much with the aches and pains, especially since I've been so poorly through my pregnancy :)
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    Have you thought about cutting up sheets & hemming, or using pillow cases? I saw this suggested elsewhere on the site.
    We're going to have a hand-me-down moses basket for baby that my Mum bought for my sisters two. But neither stayed in it for very long.

I'm using pillowcases after hearing the tip as I don't think she'll be in the Moses basket very long (we were given it too). Plus, I figured she'll be likely to explode out of nappy for ill-fitting etc. in the first couple of weeks so worth having several "sheets" to hand until we get it right - we have a few different brands to try.
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm going to have to stop asking family members questions about pushchairs, car seats and travel systems. My mother has just argued with me when all I was asking was why I might need a car seat on a travel system if I'm not going to be using the car very much, if at all. This might just be my irrational first trimester hormones kicking in, but I wasn't too impressed with her arguing with me instead of answering my logical questions.

I've also just realised I have no waist anymore :'(
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • amyloofoo
    amyloofoo Posts: 1,804 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    They cannot refuse to deliver your baby if you don't want a section. And if you say that you are planning to try for a vaginal delivery then you will get the most experienced and skilled clinical team they have available, as well as continuous monitoring. They will try to talk you out of it because you will require more attention and care (AND because it has been shown to be safer, on average, for the baby, although admittedly not for the mother - some interesting reading here, just so I'm not accused of being biased - although it's older and some of the figures are disputed, this is also a helpful article) but there is no reason to immediately jump to a section. They will use all manner of scare tactics but I don't know any breech births where the baby was brain damaged or died.. including my friends very quick unattended unplanned homebirth.. her husband delivered their breech baby girl at home!! The majority of deliveries, breech or otherwise, are fortunately very safe in this country and I also don't agree with scare tactics being used in these circumstances. The majority of breech babies could be born safely by a normal vaginal delivery, and the decision to try should be one for the mother and her family with the support, rather than pressure, of clinical staff.

However I have been unfortunate enough to be present on the ward when a baby was delivered flat and with suspected brain damage following cord prolapse during a (footling) breech vaginal delivery. It was an absolutely devastating situation for the parents and their older daughter and left them second-guessing their choices. It's rare, but it shouldn't be swept under the carpet. Unfortunately this is a complication which is associated with vaginal breech deliveries, and it should be discussed in order for the mother to make a full and informed decision - along with all the complications associated with caesarean delivery which are also serious and often not fully explained.

You can be taken for a section if baby gets upset same as any other delivery. And they should offer ECV in any case which, depending on who you get, can be very effective.

Pigpen, I agreed with what you said and think women should be supported in trying vaginal breech delivery when this is their choice. I disagree though that the reason for increased section rates are about making things easier for the doctors, I believe most are acting on the best available evidence.

Helen, I really hope you don't think I'm trying to scare you, I'm not - but I know lots of the information out there can be very biased one way or the other and the arguments of both sides are sometimes very emotion laden. The decision is yours to make either way, and the clinical staff should support you - if they don't then AIMS can be helpful, as can engaging a doula. I hope baby turns naturally and it all becomes moot anyway :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure