Is anyone starting from scratch???

Comments

• Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!!
    Glad I'm not the only newbie!

So, it's Payday today!! Woohoo!
    Just finished a night shift (overtime at time and a half) and have another tonight... But unfortunately won't see that til next month! Still, it's all about the bigger picture!

Done online banking - chucked £300 straight at my ISA bringing it to £1500 since April, which I'm pretty chuffed with! :j
    This is the start of my "house deposit" savings...

Also put £300 into our "Trips and Treats" account for our summer roadtrip in August...
    Then transferred £700 into the joint account for rent and other living expenses (OH puts £400 in as we split it as a rough % of our take-home pay)

I am aiming to live off bare minimum this month so will work out fuel and pocket money spends later, leave that in my current account and transfer the rest to holiday savings for Egypt in October!! We need£1000 and currently are on £0 :eek:

Right, time to get some sleep as I'm back in work 5pm-4am!!
    Have a great day!! X
    :T DEBT FREE AS OF APRIL 2013! :T
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul"
  • davenport151
    davenport151 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Welcome to WinterGhosts and stopbuyingshit. :hello:

ShootForTheMoon - a second WooHoo for payday!

Still trying to hold on to that first £1000.
    As I said before when you get to that first point its almost like starting again because you don't want to touch it!

Very low spend aim this month as hols coming up.
    Back on the trains again!

• Welcome fellow newbies!!

Davenport, definitely know what you mean about not wanting to touch it once it's put away!!

I'm going to try to be disciplined with the ISA, as I really have to knuckle down and save a deposit.
    The rest will be for holidays etc. as we are both addicted to travelling!

WinterGhosts - Funny you say that about teaching - after a crazy year last academic year, my OH (who's 27) finally gave in after a year of unbearable stress. She's now doing HLTA work running a reading recovery scheme. Granted, it's less money and I do worry about pensions etc. but she's so much happier and as a result our relationship and life is better... :)

My family are coming over from Wales tomorrow and OH's family from Bristol, for a big BBQ so best get preparing!!

Have a great weekend!!

x
  • Thanks for the welcome!!

Payday next week and although it won't be a huge amount, every little helps!! Trying to get in as much overtime as possible and also been told the manager is talking about me possibly moving upwards, which is great. Not sure what my long term plans are as yet but any movement is good for now!!

OH got paid this week so tomorrow we're looking at the finances in full to see if we can possibly put any of that money away :)
    July Grocery Challenge - £0/£140
    No more buying DVDs in 2013 - 0/0
    2013 Savings aim - £582/£1500 39% :j
  • My new total is 1111/6000.Finding it tougher than I thought but should get a good total by next April.
  • JoolzS
    JoolzS Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it is amazing seeing people in their 20s wanting to save. I went into debt literally on my 18th birthday (applied for a store card in store on the actual day of my 18th birthday and was given £250 credit!). It took until I was in my early 40s to finally get a grip and pay off the ever increasing debt, and then a few years more to eventually amass some savings.

At 47 I (and DH) finally have some savings and it's a nice feeling. I only wish I'd been able to do it earlier. Even £10 per month starting at, say, 27 would have become £2400 (I'm ignoring interest) by now. £50 per month would have been £12000!
  • Hi Joolz, and thank you for your post!

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, its strange that sometimes saving at a younger age people seem to judge you and think you're a bit strange!! That's why this site is so great for support!
    :beer:

I'm certainly not looking to stash my millions, but the goal is to live a comfortable life, within my means, nice holidays and the occasional treat - as you said, even the small amounts count over time!!

Have a great day! x
  • davenport151
    Arrghhhh!!!:mad:

Fridge/freezer died at the weekend so quick rush for it to be replaced. Usually these items are paid for jointly but OH does not have a savings/emergency pot - I am working on him)!
    So this has come out of my savings. Ouch!
    Plus trip money for summer is working out at slightly more than I planned as once the itinery was worked out we were too late for cheap advances. Though we did still get a good deal.
    I now need to work out what will be left and adjust figures accordingly.

On the other side of things I have asked for extra hours at work from September. We are just on the threshold for tax credits now so i would rather top up my earnings this way.
    Not sure if this will be approved but I have made it known that if I don't get them I will not be as available for emergency/holiday cover as I will be looking for the extra hours elsewhere.

• Davenport, rubbish news on the fridge/freezer front!! Still, that's what the emergency fund is for!

I'm definitely finding our "cheap" weekend in Cornwall is working out waaay more than I'd hoped! I'm sure we will have an amazing time though, so aiming to save as much as possible this month to put towards it!
    Going to use Tesco vouchers for meals out, taking our own surf boards and bikes and keeping fingers crossed this weather continues into August!! :cool2:

Good plan on the work front - love the bribery tactic!!

Have a great week! x
  • davenport151
    Thanks ShootForTheMoon!
    Hey your weekend in Cornwall sounds like our summer trip - we are also determined to have a great time though!

We are off to South Devon at end of month (family holiday) so really looking forward to that as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport