Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Is anyone starting from scratch??? - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Is anyone starting from scratch???

edited 21 December 2012 at 3:32PM in How much have you saved?
326 replies 87K views

Replies

• edited 22 March 2013 at 9:10AM
    davenport151davenport151 Forumite
    647 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 22 March 2013 at 9:10AM
    Well (sigh of relief) that could have been worse!

Mot/service done and only cost a little more than last years. I did add an extra £10 as the chap thats took care of my car(s) over the years (Since 1990) is giving it up for other things. He's always gone above and beyond in terms of customer service so will be sorry to see him go.
    That means my total is below £1000 atm - but I had intended this to be included with Marchs wages (Mot was due 6th April and I got it done early) so all should level out.

Will re do totals when I know where I am on 28th (next payday for me)
    Back on the trains again!

• Havent been on here lately.Managed another £100 to the total which doesnt seem much but have dd birthday this Sat and Car Tax to pay in a few days time which is £93.50.This bring my total to 659/6000.
  • edited 29 March 2013 at 4:37PM
    davenport151davenport151 Forumite
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 29 March 2013 at 4:37PM
    Ahh broke! Sounds familar. But thats still a good amount.

Totals updated. Suffering from expenditure from car expense. Slightly below last months but nothing (expected) due until May when I plan to haggle on my breakdown cover renewal.

Though we have a few trips out planned for Easter hols (one paid for apart from lunch/snack which we take with us). I intend to go easy this month with spends.

I have yet another idea on my extras account which I am mulling over at the moment. Watch this space!

• Willow92Willow92 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starting from scratch again! I did save about £200 a couple of months ago but my bed broke so I had to pay for that.

Saved £200 so far this month, I took it out of my account as soon as I got paid. I'll be able to save between £100 and £200 per month hopefully :)
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • also started from scratch a couple of months ago, all my debt is on an interest free credit card, and I was doing what I presume is the right thing and using my left over money to pay off my debt.

Only problem is I was then having to use my credit card to pay for those little things that always crop up when you have no money.

So I now wait till i get paid, look at what was left in my account just before I got paid then split it in half, half into my savings and half into my debt.

That way I'm paying off my debt but also got a little bit saved for emergencies.

Not sure if this is the right way but it works for me.

Currently saved about £300.
  • davenport151davenport151 Forumite
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    Hi to all newcomers.:)

CharlieRabbit01 - Good thinking on that. Its the hardest bit having something by for thoses things that crop up. And they do no matter how good your budgeting/savings. That's they key though - finding what works for you.

I sem to be forever topping up my total now so not getting any further ahead!

• Hi to all newcomers.:)

CharlieRabbit01 - Good thinking on that. Its the hardest bit having something by for thoses things that crop up. And they do no matter how good your budgeting/savings. That's they key though - finding what works for you.

I sem to be forever topping up my total now so not getting any further ahead!

there always seems to be things cropping up as well.
  • Teacher2Teacher2 Forumite
    546 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Don't worry about saving pennies, they soon add up. I saved £25 a month for a particular purpose and virtually forgot about the direct debit. A couple of years later I had over £1000.

Set up a direct debit into an ISA and leave it to accumulate.

Also, if you ever get a payrise, however small, don't spend it. After all you are used to living on what you have. Instead direct debit the payrise into your savings.

Another tip is to do a money audit (plenty of advice on how to do this elsewhere on Martin's site) and identify any unnecessary spending. A coffee a day from Starbucks could translate into £10 a week or £40 a month to save. Take a flask of something delicious to work so you do not feel you are losing out. While you are at it, make your own sandwiches.

'Drop a brand' is good advice. Don't buy the fancy brand name, buy the store's own version and save the difference.

Make 'Secret Santa' type price limits with your friends and family for all presents. Ask people for cash or vouchers for things you really need.

Get your friends and family on board to help them encourage you. If they are horrible and encourage you to spend instead of saving (like people who offer dieters cake) realise that this is very nasty and take no notice. But the support real friends give will offer you fantastic encouragement.

Good luck. Remember: 'Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.'
  • davenport151davenport151 Forumite
    647 posts
    ✭✭
    Teacher2 - some good ideas there, thank you.

I am struggling from two months of over expenditure. Though the car thing was expected. Add Easter hols to that and things seem tight money wise.

I need to re do my budget I think. Check where everything is going.
    All I can see at the moment is a few months until summer (with days out and a holiday) but each month there is an expenditure. Not much chance to put money aside.

I think I feel like i'm starting from scratch once again as I am determined not to touch that £1000.

Needing a boost to get me back on track!

• Good work everyone, this is my first post, better not bore everyone...

I'm basically starting from scratch, I'm 23, never had any savings but have been working full time since leaving college in 2007. I've owned thirsty cars and rented a house with my mates in between so. Never spent every penny but never saved any either. Regretting it a bit, but I wouldn't change what I've done.

Now however, I have built up a decent amount of savings, £100 a week and £25 a week into another savings account. Aiming to clear a car loan that I've had for 2 years and my credit card which has got this years 3 holidays on it (a few days away in May, Week away with the girlfriend, and a mates wedding in Lecce).

Looking forward to re-building my savings and having very few money worries :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support