🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Delivery Company say I signed I was not home

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,357 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely though the basis of the chargeback whether possible or not, would be that the item was not received. So credit card company contacts retailer, who show delivery and claim is then rejected.

I can't imagine retailers pay out merely because a buyer says they have not received their goods, surely they do some basic checks?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    That is ridiculous. So anyone can sign for a parcel and you are left having to pay for it?

OP I would write to the company again, do not go into detail at this point, just tell them that they are in breach of contract as you have not received the item.

It is not for you to take this up with the delivery company , your contract is not with them.

If you get no joy with them, write again and say you are going to take them to the small claims court.
    Maybe I am the only one who can see it from the vendors side. As far as the vendor is concerned it could just be a customer trying it on for a freebie. Why is that so difficult to understand?

What if the OP does take it small claims court? Put yourself in the judges position - what evidence do both parties have? The vendor has loads, the buyer none.

Anyway I've said my piece. I'll leave it at that and say good luck to the OP, I hope you can get it sorted.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely though the basis of the chargeback whether possible or not, would be that the item was not received

I would hope that CC companies do check up on the validity of any chargebacks.

My post was only to point out that chargebacks can usually be done irrespective of the fact that a paypal payment was made, and I wasn't trying to imply that a chargeback would be sucessful in this instance.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    socrates wrote: »

Their response is below:

[FONT=&quot]Good Afternoon [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With reference to an investigation which was raised against the above parcel number.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] I can now confirm from the investigation completed with our local depot, the driver and upon checking the drivers GPS location for the day in question it does [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]place the driver in the correct location and can confirm the delivery was made and accepted by someone at the delivery address and the name on the proof of [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]delivery is the name which was given to the driver. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We also arranged for the driver to return to the address to double check if he did go to the correct address and we can confirm this.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Regrettably we are unable to send him back anymore and all our checks have proved the driver has followed the correct delivery procedure. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] In view of our findings, please note we have closed this investigation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kind Regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sheila Hill[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Executive Enquiry Desk[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Geo Post UK Ltd[/FONT]

First things first, you need to keep your response factual.

Tell them that a GPS cannot pinpoint their location accurately, and only to the nearest 3 to 5km.

I would then ask them to get a description of the person that signed for it. If they claim the person gave your name, AND they went back to the house to verify where they dropped it off, then surely the driver can describe you. If they can't, it shows they're lying. In which case, the company you bought it from should issue a refund.

I would give them a set amount of time to do this (7 days), then tell them that you will be taking the matter further if you don't receive a satisfactory response.

Chances are the delivery driver has delivered it to the wrong place, and is lying.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    socrates wrote: »
    Hence the reason I have asked the retailer to contact THEIR delivery company to ask the driver if he/she can describe my appearance
    I think that's fair. If I was the vendor I would definitely continue to help as much as possible. However there might be a point where if the courier keep telling the vendor that it was delivered what else can they do?

Really hope you can get I sorted.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    When this has happened to me before it's always been the retailer that's sent me a form to sign, to confirm that it wasn't me who signed for package, happened on 2 occasions, one from Very and one from M&MSports. On both occasions replacements were sent.

Hope you get it sorted OP
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Surely though the basis of the chargeback whether possible or not, would be that the item was not received. So credit card company contacts retailer, who show delivery and claim is then rejected.

I can't imagine retailers pay out merely because a buyer says they have not received their goods, surely they do some basic checks?
    Indeed. The seller has proof of delivery, I'm not sure what proving appearance or signature would help, the driver could describe anyone he liked who collected and signed for the parcel at the address and then it would be a matter of one word against another.

The source of the problem is the driver, either going to the wrong address, leaving it with a neighbour or just outright theft.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    First things first, you need to keep your response factual.

Tell them that a GPS cannot pinpoint their location accurately, and only to the nearest 3 to 5km.

I would then ask them to get a description of the person that signed for it. If they claim the person gave your name, AND they went back to the house to verify where they dropped it off, then surely the driver can describe you. If they can't, it shows they're lying. In which case, the company you bought it from should issue a refund.

I would give them a set amount of time to do this (7 days), then tell them that you will be taking the matter further if you don't receive a satisfactory response.

Chances are the delivery driver has delivered it to the wrong place, and is lying.

I will wait for their response on Monday

I will also add some of the points you have made

I have just spoken to a friend of a friend who is a delivery driver and he told me that some delivery companies pay a bonus to drivers who complete all their workload - meaning deliver all parcels and no calling cards dropped and no returns to base

In these cases the delivery driver will put a squiggle on the hand held terminal and leave the parcel 'somewhere safe'

My house is on a main road with plenty of foot traffic but there is nowhere that is really safe

I will leave the rest up to you to work out....
  • greenstreetprince
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »

3-5 km?? what kind of pre-historic GPS is this?

I drive a home shopping delivery van which has a GPS based tracker and it pinpoints to a 5-10 metre range, if the courier company in question has a system in place which is remotely like ours it will be just as accurate.
  • greenstreetprince
    Options
    for those of you asking the OP to ask the courier driver for details about the signatory or premises, forget it. the driver can just refuse on the basis that he/she does not have to, and nor can he/she be reasonably expected to remember such details about every parcel they deliver as they will be delivering around 150+ parcels a day.

even if this was to go to court, not even the judge would find in favour of the OP on the basis of such an argument bearing in mind the reasons i mention above.

I feel sorry for the OP but it aint looking good unless the retailer takes their word for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport