We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nokia lumia VS Samsung Galaxy S3? - Please Compare them...

Options

Comments

• buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 July 2012 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Dreamnine wrote: »
    The 710 suffers poor battery life, notification sounds ending a voice call, a keyboard that annoyingly disappears..Zune - why no drag & drop?
    I agree no drag and drop is stupid, it's the same with iOS and there's no good reason for it as far as I'm concerned. Battery life can be sorted to an extent (although you shouldn't need this workaround) - http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/14729_Upgrade_your_Nokia_Lumia_710s_.php
    There are apps being written today that will work on Android 2.3 - almost every app will work on 2.3; apps written for WP8 won't work on any current Windows Phone. And I can't see developers bothering with making special versions for the few who bothered with 7 or 7.5.
    Windows Phone 7.5/7.8 apps will work with WP8 so I suspect that most develoers will stick with that until WP8 reaches critical mass, much like Android developers do in developing for 2.3.x.
    As I wrote elsewhere, Nokia must have an ignominious record for introducing a new top of the line phone in the UK - the Lumia 900 - and obsoleting it in the same month. One could blame Microsoft for this, but then Nokia decided to get in bed with MS.
    The Lumia 900 isn't obsolete is it? Granted, It doesn't look good from a PR point of view but the phone still works as well as it did before WP8 was announced and it will work better when it gets WP 7.8.

Perhaps Nokia & Microsoft should have announced that the current WP7.5 will get WP8 but with certain features missing similar to what Apple do. It's not just the Lumia 900 this affects, the HTC Titan is in the same boat but no one seems to talk about that.

This is clearly one case where honesty was not the best policy.

Read these articles for some balance on the subject.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/news/item/15093_Introducing_Windows_Phone_78.php
    http://www.zdnet.com/windows-phone-7-8-is-it-more-than-a-start-screen-4010026455/
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    Lets not forget that all current windows phones have recently been obsoleted by Microsoft. So really you're better off with the S3.

Never mind already covered.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Nokia Lumias are rubbish, frankly.

I own the 710 and it's the worst piece of tech I've ever used.

And every current Lumia is now obsolete as they can't be upgraded to WP8.

Samsung (and Android) is a whole lot better imho.

I disagree. My personal preference is for Android, but the Lumia 710 I bought for Mrs F is a great wee piece of tech; simple user interface but very capable and everything just works. The battery life is fine. Being unable to upgrade to WP8 does not make the phones obsolete. They work perfectly well with WP7.5 and an upgraded version of 7.x is promised.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2012 at 8:24AM
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »
    Lets not forget that all current windows phones have recently been obsoleted by Microsoft. So really you're better off with the S3.

This is true for many Android phones as well. Most Android phones do not have path to upgrade to newer version of Android 4.1. Do you mean all Android phones which cannot be upgraded to new 4.1 version are obsoleted? The samsung S2 may not get 4.1 update. With windows phone at least update to 7.8 is available.

For now no update path is available to even S3 only 2 month old. The Samsung is saying we will release later. Until the update is released the S3 and all android phones are obsolete.

To OP play with both phones and see which one you like.
    The windows phone is easy to use, the Nokia phones have built in satnav which work off line, you don't need the Internet to use. The built in worldwide satnav along have a value of around £200, you are getting it free with Noka.

The Android os is good but also have many problems.
    The malware is the main one. Try to search in Google malware android and you will get 1000's of news pages. Many malware is to tick people into paying money via text messages.

If you are into on demand tv such as sky go and iplayer, many don't work.

The update to newer version of Android is also not always available for example the update for S2 was released six months late with more bugs.

The Google satnav use Internet so you cannot use it outside the uk. Unless you have unlimited Internet this will eat your Internet use.

By the way every post by 23n1th is pro- Android, you will not find one negative comment about Android os, known as Android fanboy.
  • buscape
    edited 3 July 2012 at 12:15PM
    Options
    23n1th wrote:
    Lets not forget that all current windows phones have recently been obsoleted by Microsoft.
    Explain.
    thegoodman wrote:
    This is true for many Android phones as well. Most Android phones do not have path to upgrade to newer version of Android 4.1. Do you mean all Android phones which cannot be upgraded to new 4.1 version are obsoleted?
    Same point I made above. No one seems to be able to me tell how the current Windows Phones are now obsolete.
  • daindian
    daindian Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    This is true for many Android phones as well. Most Android phones do not have path to upgrade to newer version of Android 4.1. Do you mean all Android phones which cannot be upgraded to new 4.1 version are obsoleted? The samsung S2 may not get 4.1 update. With windows phone at least update to 7.8 is available.

For now no update path is available to even S3 only 2 month old. The Samsung is saying we will release later. Until the update is released the S3 and all android phones are obsolete.

To OP play with both phones and see which one you like.
    The windows phone is easy to use, the Nokia phones have built in satnav which work off line, you don't need the Internet to use. The built in worldwide satnav along have a value of around £200, you are getting it free with Noka.

The Android os is good but also have many problems.
    The malware is the main one. Try to search in Google malware android and you will get 1000's of news pages. Many malware is to tick people into paying money via text messages.

If you are into on demand tv such as sky go and iplayer, many don't work.

The update to newer version of Android is also not always available for example the update for S2 was released six months late with more bugs.

The Google satnav use Internet so you cannot use it outside the uk. Unless you have unlimited Internet this will eat your Internet use.

By the way every post by 23n1th is pro- Android, you will not find one negative comment about Android os, known as Android fanboy.

I'm bored of your anti-android rubbish, you spout the same rubbish on EVERY THREAD! Learn to spell check your work before posting.... I know English is not your first language, but all your posts seem to filled with grammatical and spelling errors. Anyway back to the question, op go into a phone shop, having a play around with both phones, get opinions from store staff, and see which one you are more comfortable with.
  • thegoodman
    edited 3 July 2012 at 3:44PM
    Options
    daindian wrote: »
    I'm bored of your anti-android rubbish, you spout the same rubbish on EVERY THREAD! Learn to spell check your work before posting.... I know English is not your first language, but all your posts seem to filled with grammatical and spelling errors. Anyway back to the question, op go into a phone shop, having a play around with both phones, get opinions from store staff, and see which one you are more comfortable with.
    Nothing in the post is anti-Android. If you read the posts the user 23n1st started to go on about pro android.
    The point is still the same because update for many Androids are not available does it mean all are out of date?

Am I write in thinking you only like to read good things about Android phones such as how great all phones are, all are perfect, best in the world etc.

I think you need to think before write.
  • thegoodman
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »

You need to understand that Android phones are not everything. People like to use other phones as well.

Why not answer my question about Android update?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It isn't that the current Lumina range will be obsolete as such, but buyers do need to realise that they have bought a "stop-gap" product that kept Microsoft and Nokia in the public eye as far as smartphones go, in order for them to buy some time to bring out their real product.

See here http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/windows-phone-7-was-doomed-by-design-microsoft-admits-50008466/

Now, as long as the Lumina with Windows 7 does what you want and you don't suffer from product envy when new features appear elsewhere, then go ahead.

What seems to be happening is the latest releases from Samsung in particular have some new features - significant some may say - that may be matched on Windows 8 but won't be on v7.

There is not going to be any significant apps development for Windows 7 as all the app writers know it has a shorth shelf life left and when Windows 8 comes out, watch the current Lumina range drop in price like a stone.

But weigh up the facts, and then you decide. :beer:
  • buscape
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    There is not going to be any significant apps development for Windows 7 as all the app writers know it has a shorth shelf life left and when Windows 8 comes out, watch the current Lumina range drop in price like a stone.
    I think developers will most probably continue write apps for Windows Phone 7 until there are more WP8 phones out there than WP7, much like Android developers writing apps for 2.2/2.3 rather than specifically for Android 4.0.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport