IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals guide discussion

Options

Comments

• bchase
    bchase Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Today I visited Studland in Dorset. All up and down the road to the Sandbanks Ferry cars are parked on the verge both side of the road.

I decided to do the same a way further up the road. There was a yellow line on the road but as there was a verge which allowed me to park completely off the road in no way touching the yellow line or impeding traffic I assumed I was ok.

Returned to a £70 Dorset County parking notice.

Do I have a case?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You might, but as this seems to be a Council Penalty Charge, you need to ask this on PePiPoo.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

We major on private parking; PePiPoo is your place for council tickets.

You will need to submit photos/scans with your first post (via a new thread) otherwise you're likely to be passed by as they are very busy. Do have a look at a number of the newer threads there to see how others have presented their queries before posting yours. They have an excellent success rate.

HTH
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    near-criminal cowboys
    Now that MSE calls them this, can we use that word now?
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pixwix wrote: »
    My wife parked at our local general hospital in the Scottish Borders a few weeks ago. She's disabled and has a badge, so she parked in a disabled space. Returned an hour later to find a PCN from Minster Baywatch (a York firm, we understand) on her windscreen because her disabled badge "wasn't straight and couldn't be read." Complete BS of course. The time of the ticket was within seconds of her leaving the car, so the **** who issued the ticket must have watched her park before moving in. Everyone we spoke to advised us to ignore it. Alarmed enough to ask the advice of our solicitor, who just laughed at the ticket and advised us the same.

Then the threatenening letters started. Contacted the hospital but got bureaucratic platitudes. Eventually sought the help of our local MP - less to stop the ticket (which by then we were confident was unenforceable) - but to have some sort of enquiry into the whole system of demanding money with menaces on on the way into a hospital, of all places. Minster Baywatch withdrew the ticket 'on appeal' though no official appeal process had been instigated north or south of the Border. Despite the withdrawal, the threats from the 'debt recovery' firm continue - I've ignored them.

So - sorted I suppose. But no subsequent official enquiry or apparent concern from anyone about the overall situation - which has caused parking problems on adjacent roads, as even hospital staff are being penalised.

Quite apart from winning or losing this argument - what the hell is going on in this country, when publically-funded services are employing cowboy firms - at the very limits of the law and well beyond the limits of decency and common sense? For that matter - when it comes to councils, hospitals trusts, etc - at what point did public servants become our masters? Did I miss something over the years?

Thanks for the advice and support Martin (and other contributors) but for me, winning a single dispute isn't enough. This kind of nonsense needs sorting out once and for all at Parliamentary level. Bad enough a country over-run by near-criminal cowboys of every kind, without our public servants employing them to harass the very taxpayers who pay their wages.

So what exactly has this to do with the MSE Appeals Guide...?
  • stitchandfern
    Options
    hi i got a parking ticket and i was displaying a blue badge
  • Dee140157
    Options
    Stitchandfern

You need to a) read newbie thread, b) start new thread (see my signature) if you don't understand something in the newbie thread c) give more details so that we can help you.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    I bought some bananas at Tesco and got a ticket....can I appeal??
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2014 at 1:48PM
    Options
    hi i got a parking ticket and i was displaying a blue badge
    As ever, if his was a private parking ticket this is covered in the sticky thread at the top of this parking forum - which is why I wrote it. Sadly, last year it got silly as we could not keep up with all the ''help I have got a private parking ticket, what do I do?'' threads so I wrote a sticky thread BEGGING newbies to 'read these FAQS first'.

Private Parking tickets are easy to appeal. Use the forum jump (bottom right) to get to page one.

If it was a Council ticket then post about it on this pepipoo forum:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Council PCNs are also fairly easy to appeal!

PLEASE NO REPLIES HERE ASKING WHAT TO DO ABOUT ANY TICKET!!!!!!!

I'VE JUST TOLD EVERYONE WHERE TO FIND WHAT THEY NEED WHETHER IT'S A COUNCIL OR A PRIVATE PCN!

I REPEAT - FOR THOSE WITH THEIR FINGER HOVERING OVER THE 'REPLY' BUTTON - STOP!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE NO REPLIES HERE ASKING WHAT TO DO ABOUT ANY TICKET!!!!!!!

I'VE JUST TOLD EVERYONE WHERE TO FIND WHAT THEY NEED WHETHER IT'S A COUNCIL OR A PRIVATE PCN!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Suityou316
    Options
    Wonder if anyone can remember as my mother got a ticket on her Motability car which was parked in her disabled bay (registered to her) just because her blue badge had slipped down, but this isn't mean to matter as she paid for the disabled window sticker which was recommended as blue badges had been stolen by smashing cat windows in their road.
    Also she got another ticket outside my uncle & aunt's house but didn't know about it as there was no ticket on the car just a PNC letter in the post after the 14 days, my dad wrote to the council to appeal but there was no indication that there was any photographic proof.
    My dad asked me to help by finding out the person who could advise
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
  • Dee140157
    Options
    You need to start your own thread (see my signature)
    Read the newbie thread before you do
    Then come back and in your own thread (or possibly 2 threads since it seems like you are dealing with 2 PCNs.) and ask for help as we all will give you good advice.

However if these are both council PCNs as opposed to private parking company PCNs, you will have to go to the council ticket forum on https://www.pepipoo.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure