Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Some more bad news NS& I have dropped the rates on it's Direct Cash ISA to 3.3%. It's standard ISA is paying more at 3.9 :(
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    is it time to quickly transfer to a fixed rate ISA to guarantee a good rate for a while?

if so what are the best ones still available?
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yup, I think last week was the best time to pick a fixed rate.

NR 6% fixed for 1, 3 or 5 years has just gone. I took a punt and opened that one for 3 years. Thought 1 year was too short, would have preferred 2 but opted for 3.

There seems to be a big lack of good offers round now, things like the A&L 8.1% a couple of years ago are a distant memory. Not a good time for savers.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The first post of this thread has been updated.

It was a major update this week*, as so many providers have cut their rates. Unfortunately, there will be more rate cuts to come, as most of the providers haven't yet factored in the huge 1.50% UK interest rates cut into their ISA rates.

It makes me thankful that most of my ISA savings are fixed.

*I expect to be making another major update to the first post next weekend.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome back Kazaa! Have missed you on the boards for quite a while. Hope all is getting back to normal. Thanks for the update
  • Kazza242
    Options
    mary wrote: »
    Welcome back Kazaa! Have missed you on the boards for quite a while. Hope all is getting back to normal. Thanks for the update

Thanks mary. Yes, I haven't been around on the boards very much lately - partly due to securing a major promotion at work. As always more money £££ = more work.;) :D

Can you believe the 1.50% cut? Still I think the BOE had to do something.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • jessicajay
    Options
    Hi all,

Is there a fixed rate cash ISA that one can transfer to? I am with if.com (Halifax) and after the furore recently, I checked the interest rate which is a startling 4.6%. RBS are offering over 6% if I transfer, but I wondered if anyone knows the following:

- are these rates fixed? I'm pretty sure it's not, but where else would there be a better deal with a fixed rate?
    - I've searched their legal document for notice periods and penalties, but cannot find anything. After 12 months, is there a notice period/charge to transfer back out?

Thanks

Jess
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    jessicajay wrote: »
    Is there a fixed rate cash ISA that one can transfer to?
    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4603369&postcount=1
    Fixed rate mini cash isa's that accept transfers in:

If you are choosing a fixed rate mini cash ISA - do ensure that you can leave the money untouched until the ISA matures, as making a withdrawal or transferring out before the ISA has matured will usually incur a loss of interest penalty.

1 Year Fixes:

Birmingham Midshires Fixed Rate ISA - 6.15%
    Minimum deposit: £1.
    Notes: Fixed for one year from ISA opening.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why have Kent Reliance disappeared from the list?

Direct ISA 5.76% variable (accepts transfers in)
    Under 25s Direct ISA 6.26% variable (accepts transfers in)

Kent Reliance have not yet announced the impact of the rate change, but these rates as they stand are not bad: the under 25s one particularly.

And Kent Reliance are top of the consistency-based "best return over 18 months" and "best return over 36 months" tables for ISAs, if I recall.
  • Kazza242
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Why have Kent Reliance disappeared from the list?

Direct ISA 5.76% variable (accepts transfers in)
    Under 25s Direct ISA 6.26% variable (accepts transfers in)

Kent Reliance have not yet announced the impact of the rate change, but these rates as they stand are not bad: the under 25s one particularly.

And Kent Reliance are top of the consistency-based "best return over 18 months" and "best return over 36 months" tables for ISAs, if I recall.

Kent Reliance fell off the list during last month's updates when the other providers were paying a minimum of around 5.50%. I've added the Direct ISA back onto the variable rate section as it is again currently competitive with the other variable rates on offer. I've also added the Newcastle Building Society 6.00% ISA to the list.

More updates to follow at the weekend...
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure