Excessively High Broadband Usage with BT

Options

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Either BT's internal usage meter is b0rked, or they are being disingenuous and trying to fleece customer's. ;)
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my neighbour had the exact same problem.. only had his vision box connected up. went from being charged £5 for a months broadband to use the box to owing £90 a month for excessive broadband. they tried to blame them even tho the wireless was turned off (by me) and they dont own a computer.
    tbh they've never said what happened either
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • spike2012
    spike2012 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a thought here, and apologies for pushing up an older thread, but, (and I apologise if im wrong) but don't BT own openzone? Or the other one, the network that provides people out and about with wifi. All they need is to have a log in or to pay. This wifi is provided by people's home hubs (a tiny portion of the speed is taken by it) and I'm wondering if the BT calculator disregards this usage or counts it in what the customer has used. Any thoughts?
    Baby daughter born 13.2.10 :j 6lb 11.5oz
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    spike2012 wrote: »
    I've had a thought here, and apologies for pushing up an older thread, but, (and I apologise if im wrong) but don't BT own openzone? Or the other one, the network that provides people out and about with wifi. All they need is to have a log in or to pay. This wifi is provided by people's home hubs (a tiny portion of the speed is taken by it) and I'm wondering if the BT calculator disregards this usage or counts it in what the customer has used. Any thoughts?

Now that is a very interesting theory. I'd like to see the response to this.
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    spike2012 wrote: »

Perhaps the BT Representative could clarify this point. BTFON is switched on bt default now allowing you to use other hubs whilst out and about. As my neighbours have BT hubs I can log onto them for unlimited WiFi usage according to bt. In theory I could switch off my hub and log onto their hubs albeit at a slower connection speed and save my allowance. As there is no such thing as a free lunch someone would have to pay for this data usage surely. Does the hub allow you to see which ip addresses have accessed you hub I wonder.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • Thank goodness I switched. Though I was on a plan that ended in 2004, and was unlimited, I was still paying over the odds.

Shifted to sky last week, no problems. Although the guy in the O2 shop was about as much use a chocolate fireguard, I asked him for unlimited, he kept fobbing off. Sorry, customer wants this product, you could not offer it.
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • eljmayes
    eljmayes Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So if someone has infinity and you have normal ADSL you could if you lived close enough get a quicker speed through their broadband?
  • ballunatic
    Options
    I don't normally write on forums but BT is ripping its customers off. My mum recently changed from aol broad band to BT first of all with only 10gb data. As you would expect with BT she easily went over this upgraded to 40gb. I assured her 100 percent she wouldn't go over this as it is the same as what I have with virgin broadband and I have never gone over. I watch netflix and youtube nonstop have a ps3 and and xbox and 2 smart phones and a laptop connected. According to virgin I don't even use 30gb (as they send an email warining you that you only have 10gb left). Yet lo and behold her bill come in this month and she has gone over 40gb . Which is impossible as ahe only has a computer and and xbox connected doesn't watch a quarter of the films that I do. Occasionaly uses youtube. All this is switched off by 7pm most evenings. Plus she has been away a lot on the weekends. I don't understand how she can go over and I don't wen I pratically live on the internet!!!!!!!!! Surely someone knows how we can all get some help because I'm sure from my own usage that BT is ripping off its customer :mad: sorry for the long post but something has to be done :(
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eljmayes wrote: »
    So if someone has infinity and you have normal ADSL you could if you lived close enough get a quicker speed through their broadband?

Not clear what you are asking here, but if you mean that you have adsl, and a neighbour has infinity, and the neighbour is part of BT fon, then by connecting to their router rather than your own, would you get faster speed than your own adsl ??, then the answer is no, anyone connecting via fon is limited to 0.5Mb
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi ballunatic

I have just seen your post and I would be more than happy to look into your mother???s usage and go over it with her if she feels it is incorrect. If you check out my profile section you will find my contact details.

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure