Return to Solvency

Options

Comments

• grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a really weird experience with the courier from Am^zon. He rang to say he couldn't find my house because he only had the name not the number. I told him the number and he said he was just outside so would be with me straight away. :j

When he still hadn't turned up after 10 minutes I rang him back, to which he replied "I've delivered the parcel, almost straight after I spoke to you" :exclamati

I explained that I was in my house, which he knew because he rang me on my land line and that no parcel had arrived. :exclamati::exclamati

He said, "Well I knocked and there was no-one in so I dropped it through the letter box":exclamati::exclamati::exclamati

I asked him why he had posted it when he knew I was in as he had just spoken to me and he said, "I thought you didn't want to answer the door for some reason" :rotfl:

Now, much as I have hidden behind my sofa at times to hide from the scary delivery man on the door stop, especially when he comes laden down with bills, I can assure you I had not on this occasion. :A

I told him that he hadn't and again he said he had, so I asked him to tell me exactly what house he had delivered it too. At which point, we quickly established that he had in fact delivered it to the wrong address. :mad:

So I made him go back to the house and sit outside to wait for the owners to collect my parcel and deliver it to me. After all that, I discovered that it was a RUGBY PROGRAM for my OH and my neighbours could have kept the blooming thing with my good wishes. :beer:

Oh well, after all that stress it could have been something nice for me, although as I'm not spending at the moment I don't know where it would have come from. :money:

BFN Gx2 x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • grannyx2
    Options
    I've just done my 1st snowball calculator :money: using the figures from my Noddle account and I am happy to report that according to that I will be DF by June 2022 - wow, pretty happy with that. :j:j

This is based on 30 April figures so as I've made payments to all bar one shark this month, it should actually be a bit sooner than that. As I haven't spent on any of them this month the balances are lower than shown on Noddle. :A

This is also based on my not paying any extra to the sharks and I am working towards putting money into a F&F pot to make offers later this year to some of the smaller debts, so it will be sooner than that. :j

This ties in nicely with us being mortgage free and will then only have the secured loan to go. Fingers crossed Granny you can do it. :T

Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• gargrave50
    gargrave50 Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    grannyx2 wrote: »
    I've just done my 1st snowball calculator :money: using the figures from my Noddle account and I am happy to report that according to that I will be DF by June 2022 - wow, pretty happy with that. :j:j

This is based on 30 April figures so as I've made payments to all bar one shark this month, it should actually be a bit sooner than that. As I haven't spent on any of them this month the balances are lower than shown on Noddle. :A

This is also based on my not paying any extra to the sharks and I am working towards putting money into a F&F pot to make offers later this year to some of the smaller debts, so it will be sooner than that. :j

This ties in nicely with us being mortgage free and will then only have the secured loan to go. Fingers crossed Granny you can do it. :T

Gx2 x

Well done Gx2, although its very odd weather to be snowballing:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.
    LBM 30/6/9 Unsecured debts [STRIKE]£25,323.48[/STRIKE] £0 :T Debt free
    Left for life Down Under 4th August 2012 - living frugally and have learned my lessons :j:j:j:j
  • grannyx2
    Options
    gargrave50 wrote: »
    Well done Gx2, although its very odd weather to be snowballing:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

hee hee, :rotfl: Nice to see you, its been a while x :beer:

Another lovely day here today at Granny's house. Far too nice to be working but I have so much to do today, never mind, hopefully I can blitz it and finish early. Once I've got off here of course.

Just had a message from my mum and she is coming down tomorrow, which is nice. Haven't seen her for a bit so will be good to have a catch up. I normally go to see her every couple of months. She hasn't been down here for over a year, so she hasn't even met the DGD2 yet. Going to try to arrange to have both DGD for a couple of hours on Saturday, so we can spend some time together. :D

NSD yesterday and another planned today. Hopefully the weekend will turn out pretty LS too. :money:

BFN, off to see what goodies the postie man has just thrown through my letter box. :eek:

Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• grannyx2
    Options
    Oo pretty excited about mum's visit as she's actually booked us a local hotel for tomorrow night, so we can spend some quality girly time without the OH getting annoyed with us. :p

Poor sole is not the most sociable of people and only just about tolerates me being in the same room as him :rotfl:

Had a NSD today but tomorrow is likely to be a non :money: day as we're going for a nice meal somewhere and I want to pay my way.

Saturday, we're going to go on a toiletries freebie finding day before meeting up with the DGDs for a couple of hours and then off to my dad's to borrow his car - reason for my mum's visit. They separated 5 years ago but seem to have a better relationship now they live apart and get on fairly well :)

Hopefully Saturday will be pretty LS, I've got vouchers for coffees and snax and points on my well known chemist card, so no real reason to spend.

May not get a chance to post tomorrow though, first time since joining. Silly but I feel daily posts at the moment are keeping me on the straight and narrow and stopping me from flying off course.

BFN Gx2 x

smiley-vault-misc-076.gif
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a great time with your mum:)
    x
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Granny have the most wonderful day with your mum. I hope you have the best girly day ever with not a rugby program in sight!

Piq
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• newroadahead
    newroadahead Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hope you have a great time with your mum, enjoy the girly day and night out it will do you the world of good.

See you when you are back

NRA x
    NewRoadAhead Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00Debt Free November 2014January GC £ 245.75/£250NSD January 13/10February GC £250.00NSD February 2/15
  • grannyx2
    Options
    Have a great time with your mum:)
    x
    Piquant wrote: »
    Granny have the most wonderful day with your mum. I hope you have the best girly day ever with not a rugby program in sight!

Piq
    Hope you have a great time with your mum, enjoy the girly day and night out it will do you the world of good.

See you when you are back

NRA x
    Thank you all, it was good and bad at the same time.

Bad: It started with her texting me in work to ask me if I had an ipod charger as she'd forgotten hers. Now this is not something I carry in my bag, after all I'm not Mary Poppins with a gadget to fit every emergency. So despite living 10 miles from work and the hotel I had to drive home to pick it up and then turn around and go back. This meant I had to pay twice to park my car :mad:

(BTW, She later charged it and then put it in her bag to take it home and didn't look at it again.)

Good: I met her off the train and picked up my tickets for my business trip later this week, which means I've saved time when I go. Oh dear, is that the best good I can come up with?

Strange: my dad rang as her train arrived! Not sure if he has a tracking device on her, bit spooky. The train was not, as I'm sure none of you'll be surprised to hear, either bang on time or particularly late, so why he chose to ring at that particular time to tell me his plans for Saturday I'm not sure.

Bad: Tried to check into the hotel and discovered after 20 minutes of trying to convince my mum, that she hadn't fully completed her booking so they didn't have a record of her. Luckily not a problem as they were not fully booked.

Good gone bad: they upgraded us to a superior room, free of charge and it was a really nice room. We went for food and although a bit pricey, £20 each, it was fantastic. Really nice chatting too, until she told me that I need to lose weight. I know I do, as does she, we are the same size and I am really diet concious most of the time but really didn't need her to say this straight after we'd had food, especially when she ate more than me.

Bad: Then I told her I'd arranged for us to see the DGDs the following day and she told me, WAIT FOR IT, that she had no real interest in going to see them, :( I was so hurt. She said it was because my son doesn't really bother with her but she doesn't make any effort to see/keep in touch with him either. It's also hardly the little ones fault is it and she really should consider how important they are to me. I'm still pretty stunned.

Good: hardly seems right writing any more after that but anyway, breakfast was very good. Food cooked fresh to order and coffee plentiful. Service excellent.

Bad: drove to dad's at elected time slot, he had a window of about 45 minutes that we could go to see him. However, to be fair my mum did spring coming down on him. His dogs were hyper-actively happy to see visitors, so much so that it took us ages to actually get into the room and in the end he did get around to shouting at them to lie down. This was however, only after he'd pointed out to us that it was the dogs home and visitors either had to put up with them or leave. Another stunned moment. Especially after I'd discovered he had increased his 2 large dogs to 4 and had purposely been hiding this fact from me because I would tell him they were too much for him. I explained that it was only because I was worried for his health, (he is after all 76 and eating so poorly because most of his money goes on his dog obsession - not that I voiced this opinion mind you). He didn't want to know though.

Bad: mum and dad had a row because he thought he was lending her his car, she thought he was giving it to her and has promised her car to my sister. I sat there in silence remembering how bad it was living with the 2 of them.

OK: my mum and I left, with her driving off in my dad's car, after he''d told her she could have it. She moaned to me about his "attitude" and I said that tbh I didn't want to get involved and was not going to take sides. She accepted that.

Bad: my dad has rung me over a dozen times since to "chat" about it despite my telling him I don't want to get involved.

The sad thing is I can see both sides and do slightly err on my dad's - she should have given him the option to agree to her giving her car to my sister because she was having his car. He's not really being mean, he just feels a bit cheated. They are both so opinionated though, there really is no point trying to talk to them about it. I have no doubt he'll try hashing this up to me on a regular basis now as I'm the only one he can "talk" to about it.

Good and Bad: didn't have our girly trip into town, mum wasn't feeling up to it and decided to come home with me instead. So saved money but a bit gutted as I was looking forward to it. Made lunch and OH came home from work and they hardly spoke to each other, so the atmosphere was really tense. She went at 2.30 and I sat on the sofa feeling fairly emotionally drained and bemused about the whole experience.

Result: like the Granny of old I have gone out today and spent £50 on DGD2 to compensate for my mum's attitude and my general disappointed feeling about the weekend as a whole, although I haven't told anyone else about what she said. So my OH is cross I've spent more money and I am a bit too but can't undo it now as the presents were wrapped and taken to their house today ready for her birthday tomorrow. Still I suppose the only compensation is that she'll love what I've bought and in the past I would have sent £100's not £50.

I hope I haven't bored anyone with this post and realise that its a bit personal but I'm trying to record the reasons for my overspends when they happen so I can find a way of avoiding them.

BFN Gx2 x 117-%5BSad%5D-%5BSuperEmoticons_com%5D.gif
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wow i thought my life was like a soap.how on earth did you manage to cope with all that in this heat:eek:
    As they say you can choose your friends but not your family.:)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business