Return to Solvency

Options

Comments

• grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here is a [STRIKE]little [/STRIKE] BIG picture for me and N2O and anyone else who may have an Ostrich Husband, otherwise known as an OH

clip-art-ostriches-552028.jpg

BFN Gx2 x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • grannyx2
    edited 20 May 2012 at 11:22AM
    Options
    In 2001 I had to give up my previous role due to serious ill health.

I spent every waking moment applying for every job under the sun and got very used to rejection letters arriving on my doorstep.

I built up a very good relationship with my postman who was struggling under the weight of his postbag and he had to set up a separate round just for me.

I even applied for a job in an estate agent and having got lost on the way to the interview, decided maybe it wasn't for me as I'd have clients sitting on doorsteps, wondering where I'd got to.

Then in one week things turned around so quickly I felt dizzy and had to sit on the floor to recover.

I applied and got interviewed for:

1) a job in a local car dealership personnel office. Now I'd never worked in an office before so had signed on at my local college to do some computer courses. Having mentioned this on my CV, I was asked what I was studying and when I mentioned excel the interviewer perked up. Asking me in rather an excited voice, "Oh, so you know Excel do you?" To which I replied, (well OK lied), "Yes". The interview carried on and at the end of it the interviewer said he would be in touch. By the time I got home, I had a message on my answer phone, asking me to ring back. Yes, I'm sure you've guessed it, I got the job. Now, despite my pleasure, I had a moment of clarity and thought, "Oh sh*t, I lied, what am I going to do now" You see, I hadn't been exactly truthful and although Excel was on my course, we hadn't reached that module yet. My experience of Excel was, 'open it up, think sh*t, what is that all about and quickly close it back down'. Luckily my lecturer was a great man, I think he actually fancied me a bit, and when I explained the situation, he offered to stay behind after class and show me the ropes. Having a natural aptitude for computers I picked enough up to be able to blag my way through the next couple of weeks if necessary. (I'm now the go to person in my office if you have an excel problem)

2) Next I went to an interview for an insurance re-conciliator. Seemed right up my street and I was really happy with my performance. So imagine my dismay when after 4 weeks I still hadn't heard anything back. As said on other diaries, 'how rude, a simple, thanks but no thanks would not go amiss and would cost the recruiter nothing' After giving up hearing anything, I was offered the job 6 weeks after the interview because "the person who was offered it has decided they don't want it after all" I politely accepted and smugly failed to turn up on my first day. Granny is no-one's substitute, I'll have you know. Seriously, I wouldn't have minded if she had at least had the courtesy to tell me I didn't get the job, rather than keep me waiting. (I did already have another job by now so wasn't totally barking)

3) Finally, I went for an interview at my local Jobcentre plus. I parked my car outside and sat there trying to steady my nerves. A bang on my car window shook me up a bit, especially when I looked out to see a wizened old face peering through the window. It was a traveller selling lucky heather. Now came the dilemma, I did not have much money in my purse but so did not want to risk her hexing me before my interview. So I decided to come clean and explain my situation to her. I gave her 50p from my purse, all the change I had and in return she told my fortune. She told me that good things would come out of that day, although not straight away and that she saw a very bright future ahead of me.

Still feeling a bit shaken up, I thanked her and crossed the road for my interview. Now I'm sure that some of you have had the lucky opportunity to visit the local JCP+ at some point in your life and are well averse to the colourful variety of characters that frequent this venue. Being my first visit, I crossed the threshold and rather bemused found myself having to clamber over the vagrant sleeping drunk in the doorway at 11am in the morning. Walking into the room, I was approached by a "floor walker" who said, "I suspect you are here for an interview?" Rather bemused, I replied, "Yes, how did you know?" To which, he replied, "you don't look like our usual clientèle" I hadn't the heart to joke that if I didn't get the job I soon would be. Anyway, the interview went well, although I was shocked when asked by one of the panel, how I would cope with being one of the minions, when I'd previously been in charge of a staff of 10, his actual words!!!! :shocked: I kindly explained that I felt everyone had to start somewhere and that I couldn't expect to start at a high level when I had no previous experience. Silently I was thinking under my breath "What a condescending pr*ck you are" I got offered the job, though gladly in a side role, not directly dealing with JCP+ claimants, as I know I would have been on their side and would have not fitted in with the general ethos of the place. I left after 18mths for a higher role and have moved on a few times since, so the traveller was right. This interview and subsequent job gave me the step up I needed. I'm also a higher grade than the pr*ck and hope our paths cross again one day.

My mantra has always been, treat others how you wish to be treated yourself, which really helps in my current role as I deal with people going through a rough time and who expect to be judged. I don't judge, because I always think, "there for the grace of god go I" :A

BFN Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello Granny :), just read through your diary and subscribed.

It's a shame your OH (do we call him Grandpa??) isn't more supportive, particularly as he seems to have control of some of your joint finances. I'm also tackling this alone, though for different reasons, and it most definitely CAN be done. Actually, although Mr Happy has no idea of the figures involves, I have to say he has completely accepted the changes to our domestic economy and never quibbles about the cutbacks and changes I have made. Basically he realises we need to work on our finances and is up for doing his bit, but the organisation side of things is left to me. Exactly the way I want it!

I was cruising Ebay today and I thought of you. There seems to be a brilliant market for hand-knitted dolls clothes. Like miniature versions of real baby clothes. They were attracting good bidding numbers and figures and I bet someone like you could knock them out in no time and for little cost. If I could knit, I would be on it. Worth a try?
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • grannyx2
    Options
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Hello Granny :), just read through your diary and subscribed. Hi Happy :wave: Thanks :T

It's a shame your OH (do we call him Grandpa??) depends how much he's annoyed me at that moment, but generally I call him the OH, aka ostrich husband. :rotfl: isn't more supportive, particularly as he seems to have control of some of your joint finances. most of the important ones to be honest I'm also tackling this alone, though for different reasons, and it most definitely CAN be done. Actually, although Mr Happy has no idea of the figures involves, I have to say he has completely accepted the changes to our domestic economy and never quibbles about the cutbacks and changes I have made. That's good. Mine has accepted that I don't have money to waste and that I now refuse to try to match him when paying for treats such as nights out, coffee or holidays. In the past this has made me feel miserable and guilty and I've seen me ordering the cheapest thing on the menu or going without when he's treating himself. Now I think, sod it. It's me that is ensuring we don't lose our lovely home, I'm as much entitled to be treated as him and if he wants to be silly with his money he can be. I'm just not going to be any more and will be debt free long before I retire. Basically he realises we need to work on our finances and is up for doing his bit, but the organisation side of things is left to me. Exactly the way I want it! Sounds like a good idea and pretty much the way I feel about the debt busting

I was cruising Ebay today and I thought of you. There seems to be a brilliant market for hand-knitted dolls clothes. Like miniature versions of real baby clothes. They were attracting good bidding numbers and figures and I bet someone like you could knock them out in no time and for little cost. If I could knit, I would be on it. Worth a try?

Oh, now there's a thought. It would take so little wool and time I could knock them up in a couple of hours. Will get on to this this afternoon I think. :money: well money making rather than saving.

BFN Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• grannyx2
    Options
    My MSE DFDs subscription update emails end up in my spam box. I get all excited now when I see I've got spam, only to discover it's an email offering me dr*gs to enlarge my pen*s. !!!!!!

Anyway, off out shopping now, planned, with list and just the right amount of money and vouchers in my bag.

See you later

Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• newroadahead
    newroadahead Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Gx2

Hope you dont mind I have subscribed to your diary, have seen you on Mrs Pinot's (although having been posting a great deal just lately)

I so understand about your OH situation. My OH also likes good holidays, meals out etc oh and his beloved Golf.
    Like a lot of others on here it is me on the DMP paying off debts that are in my name but not all made by me.

Love the sense of humour on here and although I may not be a regular poster will definitely keep tabs (as Mrs p will tell you normally on my phone at 6.00am on the commute to London) :rotfl:

Enjoy the rest of your sunday

NRA x
    NewRoadAhead Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00Debt Free November 2014January GC £ 245.75/£250NSD January 13/10February GC £250.00NSD February 2/15
  • grannyx2
    Options
    Hi Gx2

Hope you dont mind I have subscribed to your diary, have seen you on Mrs Pinot's (although having been posting a great deal just lately) :hello: I certainly don't mind, the more to join me on this long and tedious journey, the better. It'd get a bit boring for others if it was just me rambling to myself all the time. Although of course, they could always just ignore me like my OH does x :p

I so understand about your OH situation. My OH also likes good holidays, meals out etc oh and his beloved Golf.
    Like a lot of others on here it is me on the DMP paying off debts that are in my name but not all made by me. It is so nice to know that I'm not alone, although I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone else :(

Love the sense of humour on here and although I may not be a regular poster will definitely keep tabs (as Mrs p will tell you normally on my phone at 6.00am on the commute to London) :rotfl: It's funny over the last couple of years I thought I'd lost my sense of humour and a bit of me, but I've found since signing up to MSE DFDs I'm getting me back again. My OH won't know what's hit him in the end as he's slowly, (well probably quite rapidly actually), turning into a Grumpy old man whilst I am getting my spark back. :rotfl: I don't mind what time of the day it is. I'm often lurking around at all times of the day :D

Enjoy the rest of your sunday I have had a really good day and hope you have too. Although when I got home to eat my pizza, shop bought (not home made but not restaurant/take away either), I found the greedy thing had eaten my share as well as his, so I had to have beans on toast instead :hmph: :exclamati

NRA x

See you again soon. Feel free to pop round whenever, as long as you don't mind a bit of mess now and again. Then again if I don't run around tidying up before you turn up, it means I think of you as family

BFN Gx2 x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• newroadahead
    newroadahead Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    grannyx2 wrote: »
    See you again soon. Feel free to pop round whenever, as long as you don't mind a bit of mess now and again. Then again if I don't run around tidying up before you turn up, it means I think of you as family

BFN Gx2 x

Thanks Gx2

Now if my OH had eaten all of the dinner he would find himself eating gruel and water for the next week. That was very mean of him.

I know what you mean about sense of humor I only seem to get mine back when I'm on the diaries which is great.

Have a day off today waiting for BT to put in my new line, got up early so whats the betting they dont arrive till lunch time :rotfl:

Have a great day

NRA xxx
    NewRoadAhead Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00Debt Free November 2014January GC £ 245.75/£250NSD January 13/10February GC £250.00NSD February 2/15
  • never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I put my sense of humor bypass down to carrying this burden on my own.Im always so angry at OH for not supporting me that it always seems to everyone that im miserable( and im not honestly)

Have a good day ,i must go to work (lifting herself of the sofa and attempting to let go of the laptop)or i want earn any money to be able to pay my debts off:)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business