Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges

Options

Comments

• coda
    coda Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Hey moneysavers...

I have gone in the RED and recently and now face some serious debts (well... marriage, baby and so forth) so I thought to give it a go with the reclaiming of bank charges from my cooperative bank account...

anyway, i got the letter back and it is not exactly helping me in determining what I can claim back and what I can't...

basically, I have the following columns:
    COMMISSION
    COMMISSION REFUND
    DEBIT INTEREST
    FEES
    FEES REFUND

the issue here is, there is no description to the items being listed, just costs. so which column (amount) is likely to be the applicable one for charges I can claim back? commission or fees or a mix of both? for instance, in the fees column I see the regular charges for the 'privilige premier' bank account itself alongside of other charges, so that's not all refundable....

or do i just draft the letter with the amounts they pulled out and see what they counter offer me with? what's the best practice here?

thanks in advance,
    Dimitar
  • nicolajane1
    Options
    co-op bank ppi re-claiming

have sent off first template letter to co-op bank for mis-selling of ppi, due to them not asking me about pre-existing medical conditions. Had a standard letter back saying they are looking into it. Has anyone had any joy with them. Spoke to insurance company before i sent it off to ask if would be covered for these conditions and all they said was "i couldn,t say until you made a claim" no help there then!
    Any advise much appreciated!!!
  • norbury10
    Options
    traceyj wrote: »
    Ive just logged on to my co-op bank account to order copies of statement, and it says they charge £5 per copy, and as I need at lest 10, its gonna cost me! Im surte I read somewhere there was a maximum chagre of £10 ....... am I right?

Many thanks

Tracey

The £10 fee you are referring to is for Subject Access report. This will give you a copy of all correspondence, notes on file held about you. You do not need this to get a list of your bank charges. All you need to do is write in to the bank to request a list of charges you have recieved. By the way, you should be keeping your bank statements.
  • JoJoArmani
    JoJoArmani Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if Co-Op have always had this "informal overdraft" thing?

I always take money out without checking my balance as I have always thought if I have no money the ATM will refuse the cash. Unfortunately Co-Op have this informal overdraft thing which has made me overdrawn when I could have just taken the cash out of my savings account.

Apparently because I have money in my savings account they kindly let me go overdrawn as they know I can cover the payment...how kind... and only £20 a time for this kindness!!!

How annoying...I'm off to another account....
    You're my wife now Dave.......
  • Squirtgem
    Options
    Hi, hope someone can help me please. I have already written to my bank and they have sent me a list of my charges under the titles 'commission' and 'debit interest'. I have searched through my statements and have noticed that the 'commission' totals they are stating are actually split into two charges on my statement, Service Charge and Daily excess. I have read the rules on this site which says you can't claim for service charge, does anyone know why this is? do I claim for the total that the bank has stated to me or do I have to take the service charge out? Thanks to anyone that can help.

:confused:
  • Squirtgem
    Options
    PLEASE can anyone help as I do not know what to claim for. The commission fee stated in the letter or just the daily excess in my statements. HELP!!!!!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would help if you said which bank it is then someone can help.
  • borgbaiter
    borgbaiter Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    hi

if its in the order of £5 to £7-50 per day then its a panalty charge. its just the way some have restructured their charges to appear fairer. they actually earn more from this method than the old one.

Borgbaiter
    claimed/settled - Natwest £2,535/£2,535, HSBC visa £80/£80, MBNA £1,258/£1,258, capital one £282/£282, tesco visa £515/£515, HSBC visa £140/£140. HSBC £1,450 MCOL Stayed for OFT case. Chelsea Mortgage charges & cashback £5000/£672. complaints with banks pending OFT Halifax £30, A&L £35. TOTALS £11,325/£5482
  • Squirtgem
    Options
    Oh sorry it's the co-op bank. as an example they state in the letter for one day a total of £100 under the title commission but my statement has it split £25 Service Charge and £75 Daily excess. do I claim for the £100 or just the £75? sorry if this is something i should know.

Thanks everyone
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've popped you into the Co-op thread and other people mention the same problem.

At a guess I'd say its similar to the Clydesdale bank who also charge a monthly amount if there are any charges in that month so I'd include the £100 and the bank will soon tell you if you are wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure