PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

one for the ladies

Options

Comments

• amarillo_2004
    Options
    Had mine for nearly two years: it paid for itself after month 5 and has been saving me money ever since. (I've read the pin challenge: when does a saving stop counting??)

Anyone with a heavy flow might need to use a sanitary towel on the worst days because you can't always get to a suitable loo in time. Mine gets changed in the shower (ick!) for the first 2 days but I'm not at all squeamish: it's my blood, so why would it worry me? Just don't believe the retailers about how little blood comes out!

Womens Environmental Network has great info about the harm we're doing with tampons & towels.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I just came across this old thread and thought that I'd tell you what a friend told me - one day in a 'ladies' emergency she used a couple of crumpled tissues in place of the tampon, it worked so well she didn't ever buy any more. Over the 20 years she has been doing this she has saved hundreds
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just came across this old thread and thought that I'd tell you what a friend told me - one day in a 'ladies' emergency she used a couple of crumpled tissues in place of the tampon, it worked so well she didn't ever buy any more. Over the 20 years she has been doing this she has saved hundreds
    I am not sure thats something to be encouraged though. My elderly mother started using loo roll instead of a proper incontinence pad. She just refused to wear one as she refused to tell anyone she had a problem. Then she had a number of really bad urine infections knocking her off her feet. No one knew why they kept re occuring, but even the huge doses of anti biotics didnt stop them coming back. It was only in hospital at one of these times i stumbled across what could have been the reason behind it. When i helped her undress, i found she had big wads of loo roll in between her legs to soak up any leakages. She was angry when i mentioned she should be using pads instead of the wads of loo roll - she didnt see it as a problem and said she had been using loo roll for months.

I mentioned it to the doctor when he came round that day and he told her, that loo roll or tissues werent to be used that way as it would promote infections in women who are prone to them. She stopped using the loo roll and started using pads, and the problem went.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I think that that's a very fair point to make.

I assume my friend has been OK (I asked her) for all these years because she is younger and not susceptible to problems like this.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that that's a very fair point to make.

I assume my friend has been OK (I asked her) for all these years because she is younger and not susceptible to problems like this.

Age isn't a factor with urinary tract infections and I think Judi has raised a very valid point. Not to mention the possibilty of leaving remnants of tissue behind thus causing vaginal infections which can lead to more serious problems and sterility. I think it would be a very foolish idea for anyone to replace their tampons with tissue paper!!!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there's another thread discussing the mooncup and the keeper on the health board.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=42427
    If anyone wants to shorten that link, pls feel free!!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are most of you using it for environmental, cost effectiveness, or because it's just plain better? I've worked out that it costs me about £35 quid for the entire year for sanitary items but if its that much better, I'm thinking about giving it a go.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    all the above
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :j Just to say thanks for the advice on this thread. I took the plunge and bought a Mooncup and I'm really happy with it!

To anyone considering it I'd say give it a go - it takes a bit of getting used to but its not as scary as it sounds!!
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    oh thats brilliant honey! am so pleased - i really like mine and thats why i like to tell people about it lol
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family