Smacking. Could you/would you/do you?

Options

Comments

• Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    gingin wrote: »
    I think you should have Jeremy Kyle there as an on site reporter, maybe have grandstand seating for the victim and perpetrators family to thrash it out.

It must also be sponsored by Greggs.

Jeremy Kyle is essentially a televisual version of the stocks...only where the participants don't realise they're being pelted with rotten tomatoes. The downside with it is that only a television company (and Jeremy Kyle) get the profits.

Now if you followed my plan, instant benefit to the local community! We could even invent a nice quirky name for it (American tourists love quaint rural British sports)....perhaps something like 'Chav Splatting', or 'Ned Pelting'. No to the Greggs though, that would only encourage more of their ilk into the area - unless of course you were thinking of using it as some sort of lure to catch them? That could work....NEET wanders out of Greggs chomping on his pasty and boom...pressure triggered net system that hoists him into the air. Good plan gingin...you may earn yourself a place on my committee!
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Absolutely, nothing to do with smacking or cossetting though!

(I thought you worked from home?)

I do work from home....but my company does have an office and I do visit it regularly.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    There's evidence that its not how tough and hardened you are, but how fundamentally happy you are, that affects how you'll cope with hardships and traumas in adult life.

Of course happiness play a part.... But its not the whole picture. Resilience helps, as does stamina.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2012 at 6:39PM
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    Of course happiness play a part.... But its not the whole picture. Resilience helps, as does stamina.

My point was that happiness and security create resilience. It doesn't have to come from hard knocks!

In fact people who had the toughest childhoods don't always become super resilient adults, they often struggle the most to find their way and cope with life's ups and downs. Look at the percentages of care leavers in prisons and out of work, look at the outcomes for children who grow up with domestic violence in the home.
  • verysillyguy06
    verysillyguy06 Posts: 37,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    I have no children.....but I've certainly come across other people's children who would benefit from a smack.

I come across dogs that deserve the 'kick treatment'....:cool:
    You have the right to remain silent.Anything you do say will be misquoted and then used against you ;)

Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.

Bruce Lee
  • lilymay1
    lilymay1 Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    I was smacked as a child - didn't do me any harm.
    14th October 2010
    20th October 2011
    3rd December 2013
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lilymay1 wrote: »

Good job you came along.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2012 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    I'd be up for a return of the stocks. It'd benefit local communities in all sorts of ways - a use for out-of-date vegetable matter, a boost to the local economy as tourists came to watch and naturally want a nice ice-cream or cup of tea afterwards, public shaming of the local criminal element, a fun family day out etc etc.

Yup, can't see any downsides to the stocks :D
    This is a money saving site, you should be using that out of date vegetable matter to make big batches of soup, not throw it at !!!!less youths! :p

Oh I didn't realise that was a swear word. :o
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Anubis_2
    Options
    lilymay1 wrote: »

You think it didn't do you harm, but it could have without you realising it and it could be a subconcious factor in some choices you have made.
  • Anubis_2
    Options
    My point was that happiness and security create resilience. It doesn't have to come from hard knocks!

In fact people who had the toughest childhoods don't always become super resilient adults, they often struggle the most to find their way and cope with life's ups and downs. Look at the percentages of care leavers in prisons and out of work, look at the outcomes for children who grow up with domestic violence in the home.

All I am saying is a happy and secure childhood are not the only tools to deal with life's issues when grown up. Once the sadness comes with insecurity, those children will have a rough time dealing with it.

Not sure what you are trying to say about children who grow up with domestic violence..... I was regularly beaten and sexually abused, I have brought four kids up without hitting any of them, and I am certainly no pedo.

Infact I was determined I would never hit my kids because of what I suffered, and I never let anyone babysit my kids, as I did not want anyone else looking after them.

It has to be in the makeup of a person, and being brought up in such circumstances can have the opposite effect and make someone determined to not let their children suffer in the same way.

Even happy and secure children can go off the rails. Nurture is only ever a part in determining the behaviour of someone. There are other factors, just as happiness and security are only a part in determining how someone deals with life's knocks.

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure