Smacking. Could you/would you/do you?

Options

Comments

• Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    I have no children.....but I've certainly come across other people's children who would benefit from a smack.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Welshwoofs
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    If there was, then such a child would be extremely under developed emotionally and think the world is pink and fluffy, and the slightest bit of pressure would tip them over the edge.

So giving your child a perfect, idealistic childhood can have a rebound effect because the world is a jungle out there, and one they would be too weak to survive in.

Unfortunately I think there are a fair old number of young adults who are emotionally undeveloped and 'lacking backbone' (as my Mother would say) because they've been cossetted during their childhoods. I encounter young people a lot in my line of work and it does seem to me that there are some who really aren't equipped to weather the normal knock backs everyone in life gets. I interviewed one 18yr old lad for a job who literally gave up 5 minutes in saying he couldn't cope as it was 'too hard' and it was 'really stressing'.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »

If there was, then such a child would be extremely under developed emotionally and think the world is pink and fluffy, and the slightest bit of pressure would tip them over the edge.

So giving your child a perfect, idealistic childhood can have a rebound effect because the world is a jungle out there, and one they would be too weak to survive in.

There's evidence that its not how tough and hardened you are, but how fundamentally happy you are, that affects how you'll cope with hardships and traumas in adult life.
  • Person_one
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    I have no children.....but I've certainly come across other people's children who would benefit from a smack.

We could bring back capital punishment too, or the stocks!
  • Person_one
    Options
    Unfortunately I think there are a fair old number of young adults who are emotionally undeveloped and 'lacking backbone' (as my Mother would say) because they've been cossetted during their childhoods. I encounter young people a lot in my line of work and it does seem to me that there are some who really aren't equipped to weather the normal knock backs everyone in life gets. I interviewed one 18yr old lad for a job who literally gave up 5 minutes in saying he couldn't cope as it was 'too hard' and it was 'really stressing'.

Why would you assume that lad had been cossetted though? Seems more likely to me that his emotional development had been neglected.
  • Welshwoofs
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    We could bring back capital punishment too, or the stocks!

I'd be up for a return of the stocks. It'd benefit local communities in all sorts of ways - a use for out-of-date vegetable matter, a boost to the local economy as tourists came to watch and naturally want a nice ice-cream or cup of tea afterwards, public shaming of the local criminal element, a fun family day out etc etc.

Yup, can't see any downsides to the stocks :D
    Dylan Moran
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be up for a return of the stocks. It'd benefit local communities in all sorts of ways - a use for out-of-date vegetable matter, a boost to the local economy as tourists came to watch and naturally want a nice ice-cream or cup of tea afterwards, public shaming of the local criminal element, a fun family day out etc etc.

Yup, can't see any downsides to the stocks :D

I think you should have Jeremy Kyle there as an on site reporter, maybe have grandstand seating for the victim and perpetrators family to thrash it out.

It must also be sponsored by Greggs.
  • Welshwoofs
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Why would you assume that lad had been cossetted though? Seems more likely to me that his emotional development had been neglected.

I think that a child brought up to have some independence, encouraged to take part in activities that promoted confidence and communication and generally brought up to be a robust and outgoing individual would manage to get through an informal interview for an entry-level office job. We had a girl last year who was a total prima-donna; texting friends all day, on the phone to her Mum to tell her she wanted picking up or what she wanted for tea......she caved like a limp lettuce leaf and left after a mere 3 weeks because the work was 'too hard' (it was junior office stuff - answering the phone, doing errands, photocopying etc)
    Dylan Moran
  • Person_one
    Options
    I think that a child brought up to have some independence, encouraged to take part in activities that promoted confidence and communication and generally brought up to be a robust and outgoing individual would manage to get through an informal interview for an entry-level office job.

Absolutely, nothing to do with smacking or cossetting though!

(I thought you worked from home?)
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Over-smacking can cause trauma. I would never over-discipline my kids the same as what I was sometimes. It was a long time ago, so was I suppose the norm, but when being extremely naughty, just the threat of a well earned tap often works wonders.

Notice I said threat, as rarely have had to follow up.
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family