🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ecoelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning Ocoelle, you seem to have achieved a lot of things in a short timeframe. Well done for taking so many positive tips.

ATT is right, the mindset has to be, using your disposable income in the best way for you. Many people on this forum have areas of speciality as you will see from advice you are given and this helps you to get an all round view of what else can be achieved.

For example, I always pay my council tax by credit card, as I get clubcard points or cash back and then pay it off each month. This keeps us in cinema tickets, or money to OP depending upon which card I have used. Providing you keep good records and pay early enough for your money to hit the council tax account on time it's easy.

Secondly I meal plan - normally 4 weeks in advance, with a clear record of freezer/larder contents. This enables me to plan interesting healthy meals and keeps my costs to the minimum. I also batch cook and freeze, then use those meals as well, in my menu plans, for the nights when the kids have activities and I can't cook from scratch.

Finally, if you are on BT, you can save up and pay your line rental a yer ahead, that saves even more money, which reduces your monthly DD.

The guys on this site have been amazing - we all have different goals but it truly comes down to using the cash in your bank in the most effective way. Good luck, Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hiya, just one more thought to add, having read your last post. How about setting yourself mini goals and focus on the next one on the list, rather than think about the whole journey. Perhaps goal 1, pay £1000 OP in a year, goal 2, 4 NSD in a week - little goals will build up.

Finally I was recommended to keep a spreadsheet, or a notebook etc, of free money. So your survey, TCB, Quidco, eBay, car boots etc as this free money has a habit of disappearing - also if you plan on OPing this cash, either do it as it comes in, or do as Jock T suggested and open another cash generating account, and pop it in there until you can OP. That keeps it safe from temptation.

Best wishes Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my ebay products has got a bid:) and now there are two people watching it:) Hope that some of the other things sell too. There are a few people watching some of the other products too. Really hope they sell for more than the starting bid...but def made £20 before the costs are taken off. I'm well happy, stupid isn't it, but i was about to take all of it to the charity shop so hope to get something for it.
  • ecoelle
    Options
    Just completed an IPSOS survey meaning i had enough points to send off for another £10 voucher:) That means once it comes i can use it in Boots to buy little girls formula.

Not sure how well we're going to do on the £1100 pound challenge. I'm worried that we won't have enough this month to pay anything above the usual £100:( although i suppose ther is the ebay stuff. Anyone know if the car boot on Easter Sunday is worth doing? Would it be quieter or busier than normal? i am not Christian and so i would consider doing a car boot that day as hubby is off work as they shut on Easter Sunday so he can look after baby and i can go and do the car boot. Ho hum...keep going...
  • ecoelle
    Options
    Woop Woop! Inland Revenue have refunded my hubby for tax he paid in tax year 07-08, he was only working for half the year then got made redundant and they owed us £235!!! Managed to persuede him to buy his comic he wanted (he is a grown up, honest) then we're having the family meal deal from the local chippy for tea, then the other £200 is going off the mortgage next month:) *goes off singing happily*
  • EvieSaver
    EvieSaver Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    ecoelle wrote: »
    Does it ever just feel like a long way off to anyone else?

:)

Yes, all the time. Every day I swap between wanting to pay off even more to just spending everything on crazy fun.

I guess we need to keep having little treats and focus on the long-term.
  • EvieSaver
    EvieSaver Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    ecoelle wrote: »
    Woop Woop! Inland Revenue have refunded my hubby for tax he paid in tax year 07-08, he was only working for half the year then got made redundant and they owed us £235!!! Managed to persuede him to buy his comic he wanted (he is a grown up, honest) then we're having the family meal deal from the local chippy for tea, then the other £200 is going off the mortgage next month:) *goes off singing happily*

Great news! That's a long way towards your target already! It made me laugh about your hubby being grown up - honest. :rotfl:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello ecoelle :)

I too make lots of my OPs from ebay/ nct nnsales/ cashback. I also save £2 coins and 20ps and below - we did this when we were saving for our wedding back in 1995 and it meant we ended up paying for everything from funds, rather than having to borrow - all the little bits really do add up. My annual mortgage statement shows lots of little OPs of £5 here, £10 there :D I also round up my OPs - so if I claim £3.38 cashback I OP £5. I try and cover ebay postage from my money so all ebay money received goes as an OP, too. Others include money they've saved when using vouchers when shopping at the supermarket. I don't :) Pretty much any 'extra' money goes, sometimes with some taken off for treats (like your husband's tax rebate situation) Also if we get a refund for something and the money was from a while ago I include that (I claimed some expenses spent in Jan & Feb this week and sent the money as an OP because it was from more than a month ago)

Sounds like you're on the right track. As to ebay, I don't like it, but view it as a necessary evil. Where I once would have freecycled/ freegled something I generally try and ebay it now (using either a 99p start or a free listing weekend - these are usually every 3-4 weeks) with no listing fees - that way I've spent nothing if it doesn't sell. I sold a BBQ for £10 which I had been planning to freegle and a laptop which I'd offered to a charity and they declined for £25. If it doesn't go then I'd freegle it, but it usually goes, even if only for a few £. I also make use of cash for clothes organisations. I sell better high street label stuff (Next, M&S, Designers at Debenhams stuff) on ebay, NCT NNS lots of kids stuff (in bundles if necessary - then putting it on ebay in bundles on a FLW if unsold after the sale) and then amke use of C4C for lower end tshirts, stuff which isn't suitable for NCT sales, part worn shoes etc. I know some won;t agree with me and would donate it to a charity shop, but I donate 'hard' items there such as books, bric a brac, toys/ games which don't sell instead. There's a balance to be struck everywhere! I also volunteer about 20 hours a month minimum for a charity, so my conscience(sp?!) is clear ;):D

Look forward to following your progress :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    Hi
    Enjoying reading your MF diary.
    Great work on the ebay front. It always takes me ages to get into gear and put anything on there. Like most things though, once into the swing of it, it's much easier. My partner will be finishing work in the coming months and our figures in/out are quite similar so we will be checking back on here to look at your progress and to gain motivation.
    Great diary.
    BandE.
  • ecoelle
    Options
    Ahh, thanks guys! Feel more motivated now i know people are watching:)

Had a great day today, my mum and dad took the little one from 12 - 5 and i got masses done. Cleaned her room and our room, dusted and hoovered. Then cleaned the oven, don't like doing it when little one is here because of the fumes, then i got the ironing board out, and put the west wing dvd on and ironed all the baby clothes i've been going to dort out for ages. I bundled them into cleaar plastic bags, about 4-5 items per bag and labelled them up for the nearly new sale coming to the nursery soon. Then i did the same with the hanging stuff, and also with some tommee tippee bits and pieces that we had bught when our daughter was born and never used so there was a whole bottle feeding kit and some milk dispenser tubs, all new and in their boxes. Fell like a really good job well done. The nursery take a percentage of the sale price but i use the sure start centre there for free every week and so i don't mind if they take a cut. If everything sells i would make £52.95 which would be brilliant, don't think it will happen but i'd be happy if i make £25 then anything left is going to the next car boot:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport