PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Finally, after decades of looking, a Remoska turned up in my local BHF together with the cookery book. Fortunately OH had wandered off to a delicatessen so there was no one to stop me buying it and at £15 it's one of my more expensive CS purchases. It's the one with the window and has better reviews that the newer ones, and I am delighted as the possibilities look endless....

WOW :T . Jealous or what? :beer:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Why on earth do people pay full whack for hats, scarves and gloves when charity shops are full of them, all colours and styles, for a fraction of the price?

I got a serviceable scarf & gloves to wear at the stables (what's the point of buying posh branded stuff from equine catalogues, when it all gets covered in mud, hair and !!!!!!?), a North Face fleece-lined hat for my boyfriend, and two scarves in different colours/styles for my dad whose just lost his favourite one. All £2-£3 each.

Also a 100% cashmere jumper for £4 and a CD of classical Christmas music (20 tracks) for 49p.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    WOW :T . Jealous or what? :beer:

I was just reading back on some old posts on this site and found one lucky lady who had found a new boxed one for just £4 at a car boot! It was probably a Grand Remoska too!!!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Why on earth do people pay full whack for hats, scarves and gloves when charity shops are full of them, all colours and styles, for a fraction of the price?

I got a serviceable scarf & gloves to wear at the stables (what's the point of buying posh branded stuff from equine catalogues, when it all gets covered in mud, hair and !!!!!!?), a North Face fleece-lined hat for my boyfriend, and two scarves in different colours/styles for my dad whose just lost his favourite one. All £2-£3 each.

Also a 100% cashmere jumper for £4 and a CD of classical Christmas music (20 tracks) for 49p.

Some charity shops take the mick a bit with seasonal items. I've seen quite ordinary hats for £3.99, gloves likewise. Scarves usually under £3 but not always.

I bought a lovely warm Thinsulate hat from Edinburgh Woollen Mills' sale basket at the weekend for £2 :) .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've not had a hunt around the charity shops in town for ages. After losing some weight I'm in dire need of a few basic pieces, especially for work. Today I got a lovely dark navy Jasper Conran cowl neck top with a flattering draped front for £4 and a hardly been worn, by the look of the soles, pair of Bally grey leather knee high boots for £6.50!!!

The boots are gorgeous, I'm delighted as I needed a second pair for work so I'm not wearing the same ones every day.

It surprises me to see items from eg Primark costing more in the charity shops than they do in the store themselves. Also noticed all the rails are jam packed making it difficult to look through.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some charity shops take the mick a bit with seasonal items. I've seen quite ordinary hats for £3.99, gloves likewise. Scarves usually under £3 but not always.

I bought a lovely warm Thinsulate hat from Edinburgh Woollen Mills' sale basket at the weekend for £2 :) .
    I hate to take the edge off but Thinsulate hats are back in Poundland.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I hate to take the edge off but Thinsulate hats are back in Poundland.

But how much of the hat is actually Thinsulate fibre and how much is ordinary fibre?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options

I'm quoting London Zone 4 prices; £3 for a scarf, £5 for a shirt and £5-£10 for skirts/trousers are normal here. I do notice the difference when I go to charity shops out of town.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm quoting London Zone 4 prices; £3 for a scarf, £5 for a shirt and £5-£10 for skirts/trousers are normal here. I do notice the difference when I go to charity shops out of town.
    I think you are right to point out regional variation.

I am in a deprived part of Notts atm and got some amazing stuff for our princess in the local chazzers today. 2 good quality smart dresses, one padded winter anorak and 2 pairs of handmade indoor shoes for all of £2.99.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've bought what I think is a bargain.
    A 100% silk sleeveless top (bum length on me) in a fab (read a lady who luuurves tropical print) design.
    It will look great with linen trousers,
    £3.00 from our Hospice shop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family