PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Tip of the day for all you c/shoppers... always have a tape measure about your person. Found a pair of really smart and unworn looking trousers in OH's style on a 50p rail, but every single label had been cut out. My trusty tape measure (out of a cracker actually :D) showed that they were potentially his size and length, so I bought them. After a wash and iron to remove the 'c/shopness' they are perfect, and we're almost sure they are probably M&S :T.

Sometimes M&S donate new clothing if it's end-of-range, and cut the labels out first, so some good bargains to be had. Of course if it's for yourself you can usually try it on, but it's handy to measure things that are for someone else.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• piecemeal
    piecemeal Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Just been in my local CS. They were asking £4.99 for bags of odd wool, acrylic yarn, should I say; cheaper than new but a bit too much, in my book. Anyway, real bargain; M&S jumper, £2.99 and my favourite denim blue. Lightweight, ribbed, long sleeved and suitably nips in at the waist (I look 2 st lighter with a nipped in waist!) but v shaped neck a bit low. Thought I'd sew it up a bit but DH had great idea that I crochet an insert for the neckline; he's learning!
  • andthethreebears
    Options
    Children's books are 4 for £1 in our local Oxfam and I was so pleased to find (in perfect condition) 2 'Brambley Hedge' books, I loved them when I was a kid and am so excited about getting to read them with my daughter! She's only teeny but already has an impressive book collection thanks to CSs (and amazon!!)
  • Penguin1970
    Options
    I love charity shops. My best bargain this week was a brand new pair of girls clarks winter boots, still in the box. I paid £9.99 but the box price was £38.00. My friends daughter loves them and think I've now converted someone else to charity shops!!!!!
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    Gerry Webber pink corderoy jacket for £4.50p
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    hi all
    Monsoon tunic top so gorgeous ideal for summer holiday £2 :)

delighted.
  • maddeningly
    Options
    Not a charity shop bargain but one all the same. My son recently got into mr men books and there was loads at the school fete - I got 13 for £2 (she asked for £1). I went back later and got 3 traditional stories and a Charlie & Lola book for 50p (I gave her a pound)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    oh, joy! joy! joy! Found two unread (by me) books by my favourite author for 10p each. All hardbacks were priced as such. I've seen them on offer - but not this cheap - several times recently. I think they take up a lot more space & less likely to sell (unless new) than a paperback.

In another shop, I got an old 1939 dictionary for 50p. Has sections at the back showing:- how to correctly address members of the aristocracy (pm me if you'll be meeting any & I'll tell you what you should say :D) ); how to play Bridge; important details from the 1931 Census; a table of common abreviations; common mis-spellings & loads more - has kept me fascinated for hours.

Just by-the-by, discovered that diphtheria was always pronounced diftheria which makes sense because of the spelling, but now diptheria is mostly used. It has loads of little gems like that - was great value :)
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This weeks find is a large brownish pottery bread crock for £3, now sat by my back door with a plant in it!! Also got myself a Lazy Jacks polo shirt looks unworn but I did pay £5 for it which is probably a bit much. Good hunting everyone.
    Slightly bitter
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    We went to a charity barn,they sell a lot of furniture.I spotted a 4 draw unit made of metal with the name Chubb stamped on it.All the draws had keys in them,my husband took a bit of convincing we needed it but when we asked how much...£10,we thought it was worth buying.It has fitted very neatly into a cupboard (took 3 people to lift it into the car).I think it may of come from a shop the top draw if for putting money in.I had a look on the Chubb web site and new it would cost about £1200.00 pounds,its firesafe for about 20 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport