PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Ellie83
    Ellie83 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    msb5262 wrote: »
    This week I found a good as new standard size Remoska for £4.50! They are currently £109.99 on the Lakeland Limited website. This one has been thoroughly tested and I know it'll be used as I have the Grande (large) one...will probably send this off with my children in turn when they go off to university or wherever. I'm so delighted!

Quite jealous!!! Fab find!
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    Ellie83 wrote: »
    I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months and have now discovered the wonders of charity shops in sizes 12 and 14 :)

In the past month, I have found Laura Ashley tops (3), Phase Eight top, Hobbs dress, Fat Face skirt, White Stuff skirt, Boden summery trousers, Banana Republic mac coat, and plenty of other things I needed for the summer. Because I work part-time, I have time to scour my 2 local charity shops twice a week while taking my usual walk into town.

This has saved me a fortune. Last summer, I was a size 22 so a new summer wardrobe was needed. I must have spend £50-60 (and I'm being generous) but got SO MANY summer clothes, often shops far too expensive for me. :)

Well done on losing all that weight! That's a big achievement! :)

I'm the same now regards looking in a 'proper' shop and thinking "I'm not paying that!!"

I've gone the opposite way to you, and have gone from a size 8/10 to a 12, and so none of my jeans/pants fitted me, I've got so many new pairs and tops etc from the charity shops, some new as well!
  • DulceMiel
    DulceMiel Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Our libraries normally sell old books (paperback, hardback & books on tape) at 10p, sometimes 20p. :)

Aww, now I feel ripped off! lol. :p
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me neither, so I googled it too! It is a bargain! Is it abit like a slow cooker?

No, more like a mini oven...I do jacket potatoes in the Remoska (uses much less energy than putting the oven on), or sometimes fit a Pyrex dish into it and cook a shepherd's pie/fish pie in there; you can also bake bread & cakes in it, reheat ready meals, or do all in one type meals eg chicken pieces and vegetables BUT you need to be careful as there is no evaporation so add very little liquid. It's also great for cooking stuff like garlic baguettes, eggs en cocotte, and (unbelievably) toasted sandwiches.

HTH
  • msb5262
    Options
    wow that is one of the best charity shops bargains I have heard off. Well done I have wanted a remoska for ages but just can't afford one (fingers crossed I might get as lucky)

Must admit I was gobsmacked to see it.
    Very pleased though as I am not working at the moment so money is short...occasionally a Remoska turns up on Freegle, and they can be found on Ebay, sometimes at bargain prices, so have a look.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    msb5262 wrote: »
    No, more like a mini oven...I do jacket potatoes in the Remoska (uses much less energy than putting the oven on), or sometimes fit a Pyrex dish into it and cook a shepherd's pie/fish pie in there; you can also bake bread & cakes in it, reheat ready meals, or do all in one type meals eg chicken pieces and vegetables BUT you need to be careful as there is no evaporation so add very little liquid. It's also great for cooking stuff like garlic baguettes, eggs en cocotte, and (unbelievably) toasted sandwiches.

HTH

Sounds great :D So versatile!
  • msb5262
    Options
    It's very versatile, now I've learned to use it properly - I would definitely recommend it.
  • louise3965
    louise3965 Posts: 687 Forumite
    Options
    Just been to the boot sale and got the most gorgeous Brora green cashmere jumper for £1. It's on the line now and looks to be in perfect condition so I am happier than Queen Happy of Happyland
    Cogito ergo sum. Google it you lazy sod !!
  • Cybi-Ping
    Cybi-Ping Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I found a mouse trap game, which was practically new in my local save the children shop for the ace price of £1.25.
  • starsandmoon
    starsandmoon Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Got a pair of new Dotty P wedges for £4! Similar ones are £38 on the website. Also got DD a Gap cardy for £3 so happy. DD got 3 books for £1 in the Co op charity book sale as well.
    I have every possession I want. I have a lot of friends who have a lot more possessions. But in some cases I feel the possessions possess them, rather than the other way round
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure