PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Or put on the sale rail.

Or that. I guess it depends on the charity. I volunteer at the BHF and they don't have a sale rail, I always think that they should though, they a great idea.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Or put on the sale rail.

There's only 2 shops out of the 17 that I visit at least once a week :eek: that have a sale rail.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Or that. I guess it depends on the charity. I volunteer at the BHF and they don't have a sale rail, I always think that they should though, they a great idea.

Surely they would be better getting £1 for a (say) Wallis tunic that they'd originally priced at £3.99 and then after a fortnight in the shop put on the 'Sale' rail than letting it eventually go for rags?
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    I do sometimes buy cheaper brands in charity shops if the garment is something I really like. I have a Primark jersey blazer which I think I paid £1.99 for from BHF and I absolutely love it. Admittedly the quality is not amazing, but I just love the style of it and have worn it loads. I also bought a Primark cardi for £2.99 the other day, just because it was a gorgeous burnt orange colour that I absolutely love, and will go beautifully over the many black tops that I already own.

Today I bought a boob tube style top in Age UK for £2.99. It is only a New Look one so probably only cost a fiver new, but I really like the length of it and the colours so I'm happy to pay £2.99 for it. Having said that nothing beats the thrill of finding a bargain Monsoon or Boden piece in a CS!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    I have been on a self imposed charity shop ban. I went in today to drop a donation off and found this for 79p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-1598-Cooks-Measure/dp/B000SA8996

It looks brand new.
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    Shelley_crow- I am very jealous of that!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Surely they would be better getting £1 for a (say) Wallis tunic that they'd originally priced at £3.99 and then after a fortnight in the shop put on the 'Sale' rail than letting it eventually go for rags?

Yeah, totally agree. I'm guessing that's what they do, I don't know for sure, but it seems like they only rotate things between shops about 3 times. I guess they hope that it's a got a good chance of selling if it's in different shops.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    I have been on a self imposed charity shop ban. I went in today to drop a donation off and found this for 79p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-1598-Cooks-Measure/dp/B000SA8996

It looks brand new.

Good find! :T
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, they are fab! Really handy.
    I'm kicking myself for not snapping up a teak sixties style coffee table for£12.99 by the time I went off and thought about , it was gone.
    Honestly, it was nice! teak is now an endangered precious hardwood and no longer regularly used in furniture manufacture.its very durable too.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I claim the prize for seeing the most expensive item in a charity shop (along with the other folks who have been in Sue Ryder Downham!!) a chiffonier (probably spelt wrong - basically a huge sideboard) for..............wait for it...................£1,500!!!! beautiful piece of furniture for anyone who is interested. I brought a 60's double flat sheet with a funky pattern for £2 and a couple of books 95p each.
    Slightly bitter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport