We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• blueclouduk_2
    Options
    DeLorean wrote: »
    I'm off across Europe in 4 weeks and need European breakdown cover.

I've done the journey to Slovakia by road before, but as I’m going to be making the trip more frequently I now need annual cover.

I'm already a member of the AA and was wondering if anyone knows of any promotion codes or loop holes to get the European Breakdown Cover premium down even lower.

I’d consider another breakdown organisation if it beats the AA price of £83.70 :D

Many thanks

Chris

Last year, I made a 3600 miles tour of Europe. I used the RAC to top-up existing cover and it cost around £100 for a year.

Not the cheapest, but the least hassle for us.

The big bonus came when the lady at the other end of the phone reminded us that, providing we didn't make a claim on the policy we could cancel within 15 days.

We were away for 13 days. When I got home, I cancelled the policy and the full amount was refunded.

Some may argue that we played the system, but isn't that what MSE is all about. ;)
  • sonic
    sonic Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I took out cover last year with GEM Motoring Assist following a recommendation on this site. Just had my renewal through for £103 for joint cover (Roadside assistance, Recovery, Onward travel, Home service). Called them to see if they could reduce it and they matched a website offer for new customers which is £81.90 for the year! Looks good to me.

http://www.motoringassist.com/home.aspx
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Last year, I made a 3600 miles tour of Europe. I used the RAC to top-up existing cover and it cost around £100 for a year.

Not the cheapest, but the least hassle for us.

The big bonus came when the lady at the other end of the phone reminded us that, providing we didn't make a claim on the policy we could cancel within 15 days.

We were away for 13 days. When I got home, I cancelled the policy and the full amount was refunded.

Some may argue that we played the system, but isn't that what MSE is all about. ;)

So let me get this right....if I top up my RAC cover and cancel within 15days, I don't have to pay?! Thats a bit mad! :)
    Debt busting 2022 Total £15842.68 £0 (100% paid since 1/1/22)
  • billybobberyl
    Options
    Gutted!!!
    In a very non-mse way, we broke down today, and rushed into paying £115 to join the AA and be fixed at roadside.
    We had no other choice as highways agency could only put us through to aa, and that was the cheapest they do it. Have seen its only £36 to join the basic cover online, how can they charge so much at the side of the road when you are stranded and vulnerable.
    We were 3o miles from home with our toddler on the verge of a busy motorway and just wanted to get to safety really.
    I know there isnt but wish there was something i could do, this seems so unfair i could cry!
    sorry just needed to vent!:mad::mad::mad:
    SAHM getting organised 2010.
    baby BBB due 18/10/10:j Fern born 10/10/10:eek: on holiday in a caravan!!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems fair to me, your buying it because you want to claim. The people paying the low price have the foresight to buy it in advance and the chances are they will only claim very few years so the breakdown companies can make a profit.
  • billybobberyl
    Options
    i know they are a business and have to make money but we were only borrowing the car because ours was being fixed and we have the rac on our car, so dont even need a policy with the aa but had no other way to get home.
    i understand the "foresight" as we have cover, the person whose car were in doesnt.
    SAHM getting organised 2010.
    baby BBB due 18/10/10:j Fern born 10/10/10:eek: on holiday in a caravan!!
  • debs_woo
    debs_woo Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 April 2009 at 1:22PM
    Options
    i have a 99 astra, been serviced every year and been reliable, i travel no more than about 6000 miles a year, this includes a 70 mile trip about once a month. usually drive within 10 miles of my home. only me that drives.

what covers the best to get? i have a 2 year old thats with me 90% of the time. if i breakdown during the long drive, i'd have no way of getting home or back to get the car other than public transport so would it be an idea to get a policy that includes being taken home rather than a garage i have no idea about, on the way there/home.

a friend said to get basic cover then if you need a tow, call them and pay the extra to get towed home. not sure about this? help please!!

also just read AA and it says car has to be serviced regularly by a garage. A friend (who worked as a mechanic) does our car for us, so this would surely mean if i got aa cover it's void unless i pay more to get it serviced at a garage
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk Full at home / roadside repair / get you home / hotel cover for £37 .... but ..... you have to pay for the recovery and claim it back. The are very efficient though and pay back quickly but you need to have that amount of money available to you. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=382667 for what others think.
  • Smokeyone
    Smokeyone Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone used the NW advantage breakdown service - checking because my wife wants to cancel her RAC cover and take advantage of my NW service....
  • tfdodo
    tfdodo Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, have auto-aid for UK & delighted with that. But moneysupermarket seem to have pulled or hidden their bike recovery comparison page referred to in the article [I used it OK last year but its gone], so a little more rooting around necessary. These are the results...

Needed 5-day single-trip on a 12-year-old motorcycle for Spain.
    Auto-aid's european cover was way too expensive [£59], I suspect as they have a supplement for bikes over 10yo.

Insure&Go [with whom we have annual european travel insurance, as their C004 supplement to cover "motorcycling over 125cc" is very cheap - £7.35 for 5 days this time!] short-term recovery insurance for Europe doesn't cover bikes [although the web doesn't say that explicitly]. Europ-assist also don't cover bikes.
    Last year I used nci, = rescuemybike.com - came in at £32.50 [getting better]
    But the winner - vehiclerescuedirect - £21.75. at https://www.vehicle-rescue.com/motorcycle .
    Specific bike cover, vehicle age limit 15 years. So [this plus auto-aid] still come in [just] cheaper than £60 for the Best Buy european annual cover :D [especially as Auto-aid also include the isle of Man, which the big boys all exclude from their UK cover]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport