We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's very cheap, but it's only a very basic level of cover.
    It does not cover "at home", "recovery" (after breakdwon or accident) or "onward travel".

Fine if your happy with that but the cover is very limited (fixing at roadside away from home only).
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    The other reason I was interested in the AA cover was because it saves me a bit on my maintenance costs at NAtionwide Autocentre too
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • spongebrain
    Options
    Hi, I have the AA's breakdown repair cover currently. For those who aren't familiar with it the scheme essentially pays for the repairs (or upto £500 of) if you breakdown and it can't be fixed roadside;
    http://www.theaa.com/breakdownrepaircover/index.html

However, this year's renewal from the AA is taking the mickey and I'd really like to ditch them. The repair cover is tied into being with the AA so was wondering if anyone was aware of a similar scheme with other firms? RAC don't appear to do it.

thanks
  • gallous_boy
    Options
    has anyone used I C BREAKDOWN? its only £29 p/y for roadside, relay and local recovery. can anyone give me feedback before i purchase this.

or any other deal that anyone knows of that better.
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a heads up with regards to payments, i have had an experience with the AA, where I joined over 14 months ago, then i moved, cleared the credit card (egg - email statements only) i used as payment and put it away (for a rainy day) - of course as i had moved, i had a new email address, postal address etc. And i had changed my car that came with frre recovery. Completely forgot about the Subscription payments from the AA, i did not recieve the letter for renewal - which if you don't respond it carries on for another year automatically.

I actually ahd to use the credit card i used for something, and went to check when the new payment would come out and update my details, to find an AA payment of £50 + a late fee & interest on top :eek:

Luckily i maange to get the AA money refunded and after a few weeks of compalining got tthe charges refunded also.

I know there is a small chance of this happening, due to moving etc, but thought i'd share my nightmare LoL.
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Options
    has anyone used I C BREAKDOWN? its only £29 p/y for roadside, relay and local recovery. can anyone give me feedback before i purchase this.

or any other deal that anyone knows of that better.

looks good.... any body got any feedback pls.

Spikey

ps.. the gold cover looks good for £69.00?
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Options
    if you have boiler breakdown cover with First call then can you get a discount from their breakdown cover?
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • scjbutler
    Options
    Hi all,

As with most on this forum, I am currently looking for new breakdown cover and am finding it difficult to make a decision!

My requirements are:
    1. Roadside assistance
    2. Recovery to garage or home/destination

Considering the price and feedback, AutoAid is looking very good, however im not to keen on 'pay and reclaim' - though i could probably be convinced

Ive done a seach on Moneysupermarket and found the follow top two:
    1. RescueMyCar (cheap however has a 40 excess)
    2. First Call (im avoiding due to negative feedback)

Anybody got any thoughts?

I dont mind paying an average price for the service,

Ta
    Steve
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    however im not to keen on 'pay and reclaim' - though i could probably be convinced

Let me try and convince you then :-)

The anecdotal time to pay record on AutoAid is very good.
    Much better than the 14 days stated.

If you have a credit card this shouldn't really be an issue.

How often do you use it anyway?
    I've not used my policy for the last 4 years.

This should only be an issue for anyone who either
    doesn't have a credit card
    would be really stuffed if they didn't get the money very quickly
    or can't do very simply admin (filling in form, putting in the post).

I must admit I put my elderly parents with First Direct rather than AutoAid because they are very elderly and really honestly can't fill in a form.
  • scjbutler
    Options
    Hmm, AutoAid is looking top at the mo. I think this is the way forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport