We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2012 at 10:59PM
    Options
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    I dunno what they'd do with our's. We've just extended the garden's curtilage, but I doubt it would be bigger than the limit here. The rest of the land, or at least the paddocks/fields are classed as agricultural...

Not sure, rozee. I know that farmland had IHT Tax benefits which, in turn, were beneficial for CGT but in order for this to apply the farmland had to be run on a commercial basis.
    In theory all of our land is agricultural but none of it is used for commercial 'production'. I guess it's a case of if it isn't farmed when is land land & when is it a garden?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    our land is classed as agri, as we have a holding number etc..

so this tax wouldnt apply if this is the case? or is going to hit the horse people and people who have a few acres of well planted gardens
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Itismehonest
    Options
    No idea CTC. We're still theoretically a farm.
    I think we're just going to have to keep an eye on anything else that gets said on the subject.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, we're a farm. :)

We must be, because we've now got 42 sheep.....and you don't keep 42 sheep in your garden. :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    our land is classed as agri, as we have a holding number etc..

so this tax wouldnt apply if this is the case? or is going to hit the horse people and people who have a few acres of well planted gardens

Aren't all landowners able to have holding numbers? Horse owners too? It's the horses that need our land, and in eu we are properly agricultural...and horses from here still enter meat market.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Aren't all landowners able to have holding numbers? Horse owners too? It's the horses that need our land, and in eu we are properly agricultural...and horses from here still enter meat market.

Yep anyone can apply for a CPH number.

I am just wondering how are they going to 'define' a garden over 1. xx acres?

is this an old form of tax the government are trying to enforce to get more money? surely the government can see there is more than a grey area around this, because if there wasnt, they would be getting mre tax from it now...

I think its the government clutching at straws, to wangle money..I heard on the news last night, that they are borrowing more money than what they are saving with all these cuts, and there is more cuts in the pipe line etc..

42 sheep, thats alot of mint sauce:rotfl::rotfl:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I heard on the news last night, that they are borrowing more money than what they are saving with all these cuts, and there is more cuts in the pipe line etc..

42 sheep, thats alot of mint sauce:rotfl::rotfl:

That's it, CTC, the cuts must go much deeper if we're ever going to balance the books. Of course, there are countries that will never balance their books, and some who would argue that the books don't need to balance anyway. :(

Me, I'd prefer to put my money into this place than leave it in the gentle care of the banks. But then, as some have rightly said, it can be tricky turning it back into £££ when you really need it. :o

Sometime, we're going to re-name this place. We could call it 'Paradise Deferred.' :D Actually, 'Swallowfields' would be appropriate, except it sounds a bit like eating the land, which is where we came in...... 40 sheep and 2 rams, hopefully none with heads stuck in the wire yet! :rotfl:
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2012 at 9:21AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That's it, CTC, the cuts must go much deeper if we're ever going to balance the books. Of course, there are countries that will never balance their books, and some who would argue that the books don't need to balance anyway. :(

Me, I'd prefer to put my money into this place than leave it in the gentle care of the banks. But then, as some have rightly said, it can be tricky turning it back into £££ when you really need it. :o

Sometime, we're going to re-name this place. We could call it 'Paradise Deferred.' :D Actually, 'Swallowfields' would be appropriate, except it sounds a bit like eating the land, which is where we came in...... 40 sheep and 2 rams, hopefully none with heads stuck in the wire yet! :rotfl:
    A sensitive issue, money... I think ordinary folk have to use most of their money to get by! In the past, I've been in the relatively fortunate position of having much more money than I could ever spend when I had my own practice - no longer, unfortunately, but there was no free lunch in my case. I'm seeing more and more financial hardship among people around me, and friends, although I think people don't like to speak of it. There's something of a stigma attached. I don't know how close we're getting to the sort of social unrest we've seen in other parts of Europe, or indeed here, last August, but it's one of the reasons I'm glad to be far from the madding crowd. I've noticed that there's more talk by the Tories of taxing the richer and the corporations. I'm sure it's politically motivated so that it looks more balanced. Like the rich people are taking a hit too, As though "We're all in this together" (as if!)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    A sensitive issue, money... I think ordinary folk have to use most of their money to get by! In the past, I've been in the relatively fortunate position of having much more money than I could ever spend when I had my own practice - no longer, unfortunately, but there was no free lunch in my case. I'm seeing more and more financial hardship among people around me, and friends, although I think people don't like to speak of it. There's something of a stigma attached. I don't know how close we're getting to the sort of social unrest we've seen in other parts of Europe, or indeed here, last August, but it's one of the reasons I'm glad to be far from the madding crowd. I've noticed that there's more talk by the Tories of taxing the richer and the corporations. I'm sure it's politically motivated so that it looks more balanced. Like the rich people are taking a hit too, As though "We're all in this together" (as if!)

I don't think that's necessarily fair on the current governments attempts to go after big corps.

I know, certainly, albeit second hand, but a very close second hand, (dh) that big corps he is involved have been having more pressure on them since the change of government. And the eu seems to be stepping up with their part in this (because some eu info relates back to how we can argue the tax line in uk). In fact, recently dh, who doesn't work in tax, has been seeing more and more of this.

I once started what turned out to be a really interesting thread on the debate board on what was poor, middle and rich and how people's perceptions were. If we had no desire to garden, have pets or had not hankered after kids and suffered I'll health then we would be more than comfortable...holidaying monthly. As it is, choosing not to live a suburban lifestyle costs us a fortune in train tickets and while a fair bit of money comes in....a worryingly similar amount goes out.

I am ripe to employ....both for the business and for the house (a gardener and a cleaner would be very nice, and more than useful on the bad health tipmes) and it seems silly that local, genuinely good employment (as opposed to hoarding) is not enabled via the tax system, though of course, I can see how prone to abuse such a system would be.

Our tax burden is ATM very significant, because it's just dh hauling it all in so a very awkward tax bracket. The difficulty is, rozee, as far as ninety percent or so of the population is concerned your hard work, and dh's have given us this choice of 'not much spare' and choice is wealth. Not many people dh and my age could have bought this house...with all it's woes, because of the structural issues and the impact on lending that came with, a certain percentage equity was required, even fewer can do it and live with their spouse and children as their full time occupation.....your choice, our choice, might not have lots of cash in it, but it has a fair bit behind it. It ways that many think should be taxed harder. While everyone is pointing up the money tiers the gulf between those with, say, under what used to be a huge sum of a million, and those with say, ten times that is big, and those with a hundred times that, massive.
  • Itismehonest
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Well, we're a farm. :)

We must be, because we've now got 42 sheep.....and you don't keep 42 sheep in your garden. :D

:D Never lived near common rights land then, Dave?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure