We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my chickens hasn't laid now for over 2 weeks at least.

Should I be looking for something, or is this a normal thing?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    Wow Dave, I didn't expect you to say 45 trees!! I have orchard envy!! :rotfl:
    Hope you don't mind me [STRIKE]interfering[/STRIKE] saying, but you haven't been feeling great for a while (long-time lurker, not stalker :o) hope you feel better soon.

We didn't plant the original orchard, though we've moved some trees and replaced others that were doing poorly. I'd prefer a differently shaped orchard and fewer varieties, or more of one kind, like cider apples.

I like apples when they're fresh, but I'm not very keen on them after storing for a few months. The quality seems very good this year. We keep what we can well into winter and the hens have the rejects. It's a good supplement for them at a lean time.

Thanks for your concern, but my health is really OK.:) I've had two bugs in the past month or so, which is unusual for me, but I guess the old teacher immunity is wearing off now!

Went to a Beetle Drive tonight. Yes, I didn't know what they were either, though as a child, I remember seeing them advertised.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Should I be looking for something, or is this a normal thing?

It's likely the moult, and normal, though we check further if the hen looks unwell.

Only had one case of egg-binding... and we couldn't cure it. :(
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Lotus.. I normally find our chooks stop laying in th autumn through to the spring..

I dont fret too much, as Its nature giving them a bit of a body rest....

Plus when they do start laying again.. the eggs taste wonderfull, its a bit like eating food in season....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be fair, she is the only pure bred amongst the 3 of them and she does look like she is moulting.
    I think this is the first time all our hens lay different colour eggs, so I know it's her that's not laying. otherwise I wouldn't even think about it, as we are still getting 1 a day from each of the others.

I work to the James Herriot way of thinking, if you can't catch your patient, there isn't much wrong with them and there is nothing wrong with her in that respect. :D

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yep, not unusual at all lotus.

:)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all............

i am sat freezing here :(

its not raining at least. i have now virtually dug over my lawn [haha..mud heap] i have never had it like this ! just nowhere for the water to go.. i noticed that a "hole" beside my outside sink drain hole is FULL of water :eek: which as my house has a hollow under it , worries me that there is a swimming pool under the floorboards....:( if my cuppa and newspaper float off then i will know it is rising..;)

i am putting as much as poss on the bay as i have 2 major bills coming up and im in panic mode. not sold much this month so far...:(:( but lowering prices seems almost negative re the faff of packing/posting etc....we will have to see !

i hope your gardens are fairing better than mine ....

now wheres that super glue....:rotfl::rotfl:
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Alfie, the garden here is a mud bath at the back, the builders drive up to the house through there so what was green is now ....brown.

Is the little stream over flowing?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    We are a little drier up at the house now, at last, but the ground is still saturated further down the slope.

I even have the mower out! :D
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We are remomiving loads f straw from the attic.

Quick question, instead of muck heaping it,I am thinking of keeping last load for winter plant thatching.

Any benefit to thatching beds? Like a mulch of straw? It's weed free, but a bit dusty. Worried it mild hold moisture around the bases of things and cause mildrew type things or rot (I worry about that when I thatch stuff for winter and fleece it too) , but on the other hand it might protect stuff?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure