We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rummer, it's ok here this morning, but the weather kept me awake through the night.

It has been horrific. The builders have built little tents around the windows so they can paint them, and I am amazed they are still in place this morning, I thought one of them at least, and I with it, were heading off to the Land of Oz last night.

No sign of my rooster last night, and someone else, but I cannot tell who, so just as well May did not hit the stock put or head to Alfie yet. He and the American hen via Alfie can move out to the big chickens tonight, they are certainly big enough. The silikies, Linen and Cotton bud, cottoneye jojo and the two hospital case ex batts will stay on the front lawn.

There really is so little one can do outside in this weather. I dare not continue with the weeding and mulching as the ground is just too darn wet.

The old hedge was to come out this week, but it's too wet and too much hassle for the builders to take down the tents (digger is actually coming in to lower ground levels more around the house, even the foot plus gone is still too high, yet it's all clay, no hint of topsoil left, ...I am panicking about planting.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    For a change the bad weather has hit us at night over past 48 hours with bright but blustery days. Brightness levels over last 3 months 6% better than last year..official!

No eggs for brekky this morning, moult and light levels having their usual effect :(
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not sure what dog dog saw that saw her leg it in to the muck heap tonight, maybe the fox? In anycase, one big stinking, shivering dog I had to crudely shower and put by the woodburner to dry off tonight.

She seems really distraught too.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had quite a productive day, though some things were not to do with the holding and I had one disaster. I put all of October's photos into the Recycle Bin by accident and deleted them, although I swear the button I pushed said "Restore" :o:o:o:o

So, I lost hours downloading recovery software and then searching through ten zillion files for the two dozen I'd lost......:( And were they all nicely grouped together? No! But they blooming well were when they went awol! Grrrr! :mad:

Anyway, most of them are back from beyond the grave now, but not the one I did specially for alfie, with the pink wheelbarrow in it. :p

We bought eggs again too! :(:o:(
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    evening folks....

im in a MOO mood...:(

got in last night to NO generator..:eek: but son managed to pull start it..which even he as a fitness fan finds tough to do so i have no hope !
    got the old boy who "knows wots wot" round this morning to be told the solonoid had gone ...which was what the previous "company" who did my repairs , replaced not so long ago with a bill of over £300..............:mad:
    the old boy checked the old starter motor/solonoid theyde taken out [ i kept it ?] and couldnt find a fault so he took off the solonoid, replaced it and genny up and running !! which makes me ask the question..what exactly did the "company" do ? i took thier word that it was that ...:mad: makes me wonder if it was in fact a NEW one theyde put in ............i dont know and dont care any more...........
    im fed up with the bl**dy thing... fed up with struggling.......

BUT.... i will smile again...;) probably tomorow...:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2012 at 12:22AM
    Options
    I will have some shark fin melon seed as well if Dave has any problems. I understand you have to let the melon sit for several months for the seeds to turn black, which means they are viable. I think I've found the best page by far for a recipe for SFM's. http://fridaysspecial.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/my-vegetable-sellers-recommendation.html Yes it's only got one recipe, but shows you best how to prepare them. After a bit of faff, I've come up with my best way. Clean the melon and cut it into chunks, about 5cmx5cm (for the rind base, I leave the flesh towering towards the middle of the melon) , rind and all, leave the seeds in. Steam for about 20mins, leave to cool in the steamer, when cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh from the rind and remove the seeds . You can now use it in a soup, or I used some in a stir fry, basically the same as you would use a spaghetti squash. I made the soup above, but without mushrooms and added an onion at the start and some diced softened potatoes when the bacon had fried. I think this would be great with diced gammon. I used the steaming water to soften the potatoes, the used that same water to make the stock, to lesson any loss of vitamins. It worked out great and has a really nice taste. HTH's someone.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Alfie....:mad::mad: no wonder you were piddled off....

Davesnave you too, losing your files ,glad you managed to get them back.

LIR... It wasnt anyone snooping round was it?

Life is a rollercoaster...it feels as though we are taking 3 steps forward and about 8 back:o with home life and work.... why does all the poo comes together:mad::mad:

but at least my nylons are selling:p
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Davesnave
    Options

Life is a rollercoaster... why does all the poo come together:mad::mad:

but at least my nylons are selling:p

There's usually a silver lining, if we look for it. :)

Yesterday, some people who owe us money finally gave a date for payment, we heard our new plans are ready for inspection, I located some telegraph poles to mend the barn and Pete said he'd start the fencing soon.....oh, and we had a delivery of logs. :D

Thanks to someone else helping, I also discovered a possible way to help some people we're worried about. I can't say much here, but it's been a niggling away for some time. Unlike stuff related to physical things, like drainage, it isn't so easy to research, or know what to do. :(

While the log people were here, I told them about the septic tank. They just laughed and said "Oh ours gets like that too, mainly because the soakaway is 70 years old and the bullocks are stomping over it!"

I won't tell you what their remedy is :eek:, but anyway, that made me feel better. :)

Crikey lotus, what have I done? We're going to be living on soup.....till 2014! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    the old boy checked the old starter motor/solonoid theyde taken out [ i kept it ?] and couldnt find a fault so he took off the solonoid, replaced it and genny up and running !! which makes me ask the question..what exactly did the "company" do ? i took thier word that it was that ...:mad: makes me wonder if it was in fact a NEW one theyde put in

It's like garages. I've found some of them just can't be trusted.

At the old place, a mate kept us on the road at minimal cost and was 100% straight. (Though my car had a genuine garage sticker on the rear window proclaiming it was originally sold by Benter Motors. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:)

Here, the garage I've used is also 100% straight.....just not terribly good. :( I have sought advice....;)
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Well, the injections on Monday have had some beneficial effect, beginning to be able to use my right arm more, though still painful and restricted. Arm can bear weight again, which means I can once again start doing physio for back :j.

Comes to something when you measure the quality of life by absence of pain and injury. But when I start to feel sorry for myself, I'm reminded there's always someone worse off...heard yesterday that a neighbour had a serious fall down stairs while on holiday and broke her spine in two places, poor woman!

Yesterday planted up a trough with muscari and bugle, a small job but one which I havent been able to tackle for a month and I felt so pleased! Small things amuse ....

Just finished doing questions for a village cheese tasting while DW packs last nights Bay sales. Okehampton buys are now in profit, with more to sell so we'll be off to another auction on Saturday :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure