We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I knew I would be tired today. :)

It's so cold and the weather is grim again so I am glad I threw myself into it yesterday.

The farmer next door has said he will harrow my summer grazing when he does his in a month or so, weather depending of course, which timing wise should be perfect for us and should get us back on track done there. I need to book our hedges in for a trim too. We did a hard cut first winter, but only a side trim last year, (best wildlife practise is every three years) but we will have to go for a harder cut this year again, to encourage some more thickness in the base of hedge if we can.

We want to keep encouraging hedge growth up, for a weather break and for privacy, but also because we don't have the best hedges. They are mainly blackthorn where they are best, which is saying something. We have a high percentage bramble (one whole hedgerow is JUST bramble, and that needs cutting back hard, hard) and a lot of elder too. We can only find one hazel here, but must have more, as we get a couple of nuts on it. I hope to plant predominantly hazel in new hedge, because it's a useful thing to have, and we use the nuts.

Hedge is going to have to go on hold. A surface for the horses is really priority now, for clients.

I am trying to find out why I need sand under rubber, I am resigned to the fact it's not going to be a surface I like ( I like quite a 'dead' surface but we are going to have to go for rubber shred for the top of ours). And a debate rages in the household whether to lose a useful gate and go full size areana, or have a smaller arena and retain the gate. (the gate is great for deliveries to the barn, but also a security annoyance). Tractor would not be hindered, and deliveries should be possible through the main yard gate, but entrance to the barn is fairly tight, so it would have to be yard drop then moved.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not feeling great today, and as the weather seems to change every 2 minutes, I'm doing nothing sustained. :p

Here's part of yesterday's harvest:

9bep10.jpg
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    talking BUGS............whats this one ? small,fast....

219cosj.jpg

p.s. dont ask re "the event " ;):( :rotfl:

Is it a sexton beetle?

What have you been burying in your garden? :eek:
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow Dave what a harvest!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    Wow Dave what a harvest!

Yes, there are 40 of them. :D We've picked 36 and left the others to grow larger.. perhaps....it depends on how lucky we are with frost.

I did go up on the shed roof to finish it off. We had a couple of hours bright sunshine and it seemed a shame to waste it. :)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,709 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can see why I only grow one or two plants (I get 3-6 sharks per plant). Make jolly good cover to hideous sheds etc.

At least they keep well!

Think you might be able to keep the West Country in seed next year Dave?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got 12 full size SFM's from my 2 plants and although we have eaten a few small immature ones, tonight I will be using half a full sized one to cook with.
    I'll LYK how it goes :D

ps, you should try to cut the stems longer Dave, squashes don't like them cutting short. Shortens the shelf life.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    evening all......

i spent this morning "working on the railway"... owner has put in a new big junction thingy so's trains can now go in opposite directions and pass each other... :o

so ive been laying all the stone between sleepers and resoning them....
    i will do all major repairs in the spring... no point now as all sorts of critters move into the buildings,tunnels etc for the winter. we had squiggels move into the tunnel taking the trains into the big [life size] signal box last year ... took ages getting all the nest materials out !!:D

i went to scats to stock up on hoss feed [1st sign of winter on my calender :eek: ] im lucky they do so well on grass rest of the year.. theyve enjoyed munching the old long grass in the side field [2 acre] for the last 2 weeks :D
    its ruby that i want to ensure keeps a heftier weight on as she's built to carry that bit extra ...;)

not a lot else to report today, just kept myself busy..:)
    stayed fine until about 4 pm when it chucked it down ......then stopped dead after 10 mins ......dry since....Bl**dy cold tho this evening :(

p.s i didnt sell bu**ar all on the bay except the gate for £70...:( so thats my pathetic weeks add , rhiwi

my son put some monster thingy fancy dress outfit on the bay tonite for 60 BIN and sold it in 22 minutes...:eek: :D gotta be a record..:rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    dave..........love YOUR wheelbarrow, knew youde find your inner female side ;) :rotfl::rotfl:

please dont tell us unconvincingly that it "is the wives"....yeh yeh yeh :D
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    please tell me i wasnt the only one to "look up" the HOGWEED BONKING BEATLE.....:o:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure