We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not as bad here as they said it would be. :)

Just made the panel we shall install to block up the gateway when we finally complete on the bit of garden at our old place. We're having the gate itself, which cost £120. :D

Always difficult making things to fit when the opening or whatever is 100 miles away. I did it once before when we inadvertently damaged a fence at a holiday cottage. We thought we'd get away with it, but then the vicar came calling, slipped and fell right through it! (I kid you not :rotfl:) We did some very careful measuring for that one. The owner was gobsmacked, because it fitted perfectly. In fact, he made us look at photos after he'd fitted it.:rotfl:

I'm not expecting this one to go so well. Just two measurements, which show that the gatepost is bent!

On a similar theme, we've repaired our rope and post fence out at the front. It was partly damaged by Mr Tesco backing a van into one of the end posts, but then we noticed the ropes were breaking. The real hemp rope we used was rotting inside the posts, so it was a case of the natural product being not very suitable. We now have new ropes which are 100% synthetic, and I can't tell the difference when it comes to appearance. Not often that happens.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Who does one call? Access for the stone trough is iffy to say the least.

How far away are they? I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow and I could pick them up in the van if there's someone around to help load/unload.

I can't do tight accesses in the van though!

At worst I could do the staddle stones. :)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    How far away are they? I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow and I could pick them up in the van if there's someone around to help load/unload.

I can't do tight accesses in the van though!

At worst I could do the staddle stones. :)

Wncanton, but noone about to help tomorrow. :(.

They might be a bit heavy for the van? I don't know. One is normal size and weight, the other just slightly bigger. Dh said its was a crucial slightly though:D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Wncanton, but noone about to help tomorrow. :(.

They might be a bit heavy for the van? I don't know. One is normal size and weight, the other just slightly bigger. Dh said its was a crucial slightly though:D

Doubt if the van would complain. It's taken a few tonnes inside on many a trip. Think 20 breeze blocks and 15 big paving slabs, just as the first layer, then pile everything on top of that. :eek:

But yes, I'd need help. I am the weakest link! :o
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Doubt if the van would complain. It's taken a few tonnes inside on many a trip. Think 20 breeze blocks and 15 big paving slabs, just as the first layer, then pile everything on top of that. :eek:

But yes, I'd need help. I am the weakest link! :o

What a shame. Would have been great. :(
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Grrrrrr!!! I'm grumpy about neighbours again! :mad:

No, not Mr D, who's mostly behaving himself, but our next door family, whose privacy I normally respect. They're quiet, pleasant, and apart from being messy, well-behaved, but their thoughtlessness has just about caused me to blow a gasket.

There I was thinking these two, who are both long-term sick, were just having a hard time keeping up, what with the weather etc, but now I hear the 3' high grass seeding all over our newly planted border is there because their daughter asked for a "faerie glade."

Now I realise that faeries are a bit particular, but don't you think that having watched us put many weeks of work over two years into reclaiming the ground, planting up and weeding etc they might have chosen somewhere more appropriate to grow their own hay field........like, for example, next to our hayfield!!:mad::mad::mad:

There's no cure for f e c k lessness, but surely even the daftest person has some understanding of what grass and thistle seeds do?

Words fail me.

Rant over. Some of you folk have more important things to grumble and be upset about, but I just needed to get that off my chest. :(:o:o
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ach, thats neighbours dave. Maybe it has a better view from the house or somthing? Can you panel the back of ypur border top minimise seed spread?

Re gardens, we have tried another risky mid summer move of things. Two rose suckers, some aqualegias and .....cannot remember what else. Having to take anything we want from the old garden in the next month.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Aquilegias don't like being moved,. They must come with the original soil around the roots, undisturbed.

No we can't really put a physical barrier between us and next door now. We'll have to wait on the beech hedge . We have enough windbreak netting which we could hoist on poles, but that wouldn't be the most attractive garden feature, being bright green! Besides, we know that would be a provocative thing to do.

It's all about attitude. I wouldn't be upset if they were having a hard time physically, even though they qualify for gardening help and choose to refuse it. But they're just saying "We want this wild area here" without a thought to us. If we'd said "We want a laurel hedge 8' high here" that would have been equally thoughtless.

Right now, I wish we had! :(
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd go for the hedge.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    LIR..... if i can swop something from tomorow to tuesday [very possible] am i any good to help dave with the STONES ?? i do have a heavy duty flat moving trolley 3' x 2' ? cant get to you till 12 tho. could bring u some off cut oak for your fire to keep yr tootsies warm aswell....
    i will hear in next hour if i can swop day.. so cant promise till then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure