repair double glazing

Comments

• jud1255
    jud1255 Posts: 22 Forumite
    cheer's i just come across this ,similar idea but i dont fancy the idea of drilling the glass.
    http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/window.html
    Thats a job on its own if i thought i could do it without breaking the glass maybe i would have a go, as it'll be a costly job for a replacement 1-8mtr x 0-9mtr £150-00 ish, i guess.
  • kiteman1,

Could you go into a little more detail about how you removed your units? I've searched on the web but cannot find any details and I've never seen it done. Looking at the windows we have, there is a black sealing strip around the inside and outside of the windows. Do you just remove this and the unit falls out? Can the strip be re-used? Any tips for removing the units?

Thanks.
  • jud1255
    jud1255 Posts: 22 Forumite
    depends if yours are internal or external beads. iether way yes it is very easy , insert a couple of flat knife blades in the joint where the strip is about 1/2 inch wide and meets the main window frame,
    its best to start on the widest part of the window and then in the centre of that part of the frame , once you make a start the rest is easy and yes thats all that holds the glass inso i leave the top one till last
    and yes they are reusable so be carefulnot to mark them .theres normally plastic packers under the window try and take note where they are before you actually lift the glass out
    Hope this helps
  • wadge
    wadge Posts: 140 Forumite
    Good luck in splitting units made with two part rather than hot melt.
  • Jeez,can't believe some of the stuff i am reading on this thread.A lot of it is misinformed and some of it dangerous.Just get someone to come out and change your units.It isn't that expensive and a decent company will give you a long guarantee.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    I thought most tradesmen charge at least 100 GBP just to ring your door bell?
    (Now the credit crunch is biting we might see this figure falling).
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    I dont.Never have.All my quotes and advice are free.

I just rip you off when i get the job;)
  • wadge
    wadge Posts: 140 Forumite
    ^ not just dangerous, but false economy also.
  • webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One point not yet mentioned. The pay back time for double glazing is over 10 years. So if the units need replacing after 10 years DG (sealed unit type) can never pay for itself in heating costs saved. May be an argument for secondary double glazing.
  • ptheta
    ptheta Posts: 2 Newbie
    My double glazing is quite old and the glass is in fine condition but several of the windows have faulty locks/handle mechanisms. Can anyone tell me if I could replace them or if I need to replace the windows themselves?

I think they're fairly standard. They certainly look the same as just about every other double glazing window handle with a lock in them that I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Paul.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family