New Post Advanced Search

repair double glazing

87 replies 440.7K views

Replies

• edited 12 July 2011 at 4:30PM
    CDGR_2CDGR_2 Forumite
    4 posts
    edited 12 July 2011 at 4:30PM
    Yes, some companies are claiming that misted units can be repaired but (having been in the trade for over 20 years) I've yet to see this as a long term soulution. Double glazed units need to be sealed, and as far as I am aware the process your refering to involves boring a hole in the glass to inject a gas. So far all the units I've ever heard of having this process done have failed within months of the work being done. Also the damage to the glass from condensation is very often advanced that immediate replacement of the units is required. IF YOUR GLASS IS MISTED, GET THE UNIT REPLACED BY A PRO. IT'S NOT THAT EXPENSIVE!

People very often forget to read the purchase agreement, or ask questions when getting double glazing fitted, i.e. a 20 or 25 year guarantee only covers the glass! It's a bit of a con, because glass doesn't really erode. So remember that your guarantee will not be covering you for the fittings or surrounds (UPVC, Wood or Aluminium). IF YOUR GLASS IS MISTED, GET THE UNIT REPLACED BY A PRO. IT'S NOT THAT EXPENSIVE!
  • sashmansashman Forumite
    321 posts
    glazier wrote: »
    external georgian bars were never a good idea. There are some seriously strong glues on the market now . I think I would try this route .Do a sample experiment first with a plastic strip on some old glass.

When we started offering plant on georgians we had huge problems, not with the externals as you might expect but internals, because on sash windows customers want to open the window lifting the sash by using the bar!

There are good glues but they aren't sufficient, we use Georgi clips a metal clip that clamps both bars to the glass surface so they cannot become detached.

So actually, if done well, they can look fantastic and stay fixed onto the windows.
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• i have read all this thread and everytime a "Glass expert" posts they are screaming it wont work ! well tbh i think it will .. i am an engineer and i can see why the units fail and why this repair will fix the foggin. lets be honest we are looking at a percentage of heat loss compared to a higher one for a repaired unit so they will not be as efficent i admit.
    but you also have to weigh up the cost of replacing the units compared to the extra heating required to maintain a repaired unit.
    one glazer says he does not know what thermal pump is, well time you go back to glazer school then m8 ! its a basic principle that things expand in heat and contract in cold so there you go.. another says that drilling holes in glass weakens it ! well no really !!! drilling holes in anything weakens it ! the thing here is can you defog the units and get them cleared cheaper than paying theses experts :P to do it for you, with units that will eventually break down again ! they know they will, because they give a limited time guarantee not a lifetime one !
    another point is the commercial people who do this drill outside so they can work without creating undue mess in your property, if you just have foggin i thing drilling the inside will do just as well and avoid rain problems that may occour from drilling outside. dont forget all you need to do to clear the fog is circulate the air to prevent moisture build up. one way to force the issue would be to drill 2 holes on oppersit side's of the unit and put a vacume cleaner hose over 1 hole and change the air inside. but the unit will clear itself i would think over time due to the thermal pumping action mentioned earlyer. i have got 3-4 misted units in my home and will be trying this outmyself soon theres nothing to lose because the units have already failed so are not working as such anyway.. just the "experts would prefer we give them lots of money for new units so we can sit back and wait for them to fail also !!
  • hi guys, i came across this forum while i was checkin my site for s.e.o's.
    i bought into a company that repairs your units and got ripped off.

the process works, around 90% of the time, you cant get rid of any stains but can get rid of the water.
    drilling small holes in the unit, 1in bottom corner and 1 in opposite top corner, the air circulation created dries the unit out. providing the unit isn't sitting in water/lots of water is somehow able to access the unit. if you play it safe by deglazing the units and wet seal them in(silicone around outer gaskets where glass will go back to). you effectively make them water tight.
    i've started a business doing it loacally and where 1msquared unit would cost around £80-90 to replace, i can repair for half the cost. i give 10yr guarantees on the basis if it fails or i cannot sort the problem, i replace the unit for the difference. so effectivly you never lose out.

i am not spamming i am just trying to explain in a good enough way what can be done.

just to be clear to people that arent sure about window repairs of all aspects. everything is possible to be repaired. locks, handles, hinges, rubber gasgets, gearing even if you have actual cracks in your pvc frame, i havent looked into that yet but it can be done apparently.

im not going to name the company that took me for a ride, and if you want to know my company name then please ask.
    i just dont want you to think im spamming.

hope this helps guys
  • leveller2911leveller2911
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    djnew001 wrote: »
    hi guys, i came across this forum while i was checkin my site for s.e.o's.
    i bought into a company that repairs your units and got ripped off.

the process works, around 90% of the time, you cant get rid of any stains but can get rid of the water.
    drilling small holes in the unit, 1in bottom corner and 1 in opposite top corner, the air circulation created dries the unit out. providing the unit isn't sitting in water/lots of water is somehow able to access the unit. if you play it safe by deglazing the units and wet seal them in(silicone around outer gaskets where glass will go back to). you effectively make them water tight.
    i've started a business doing it loacally and where 1msquared unit would cost around £80-90 to replace, i can repair for half the cost. i give 10yr guarantees on the basis if it fails or i cannot sort the problem, i replace the unit for the difference. so effectivly you never lose out.

i am spamming i am just trying to explain in a good enough way what can be done.

just to be clear to people that arent sure about window repairs of all aspects. everything is possible to be repaired. locks, handles, hinges, rubber gasgets, gearing even if you have actual cracks in your pvc frame, i havent looked into that yet but it can be done apparently.

im not going to name the company that took me for a ride, and if you want to know my company name then please ask.
    i just want you to know im spamming.

hope this helps guys

Just corrected that for ya fella..Welcome to the board ........:D
  • Just corrected that for ya fella..Welcome to the board ........:D

believe what you want

p*i*k!!!

oh and the reason why it wont go to mass production by big firms is
    a: like i said its only around 90% successful
    b: how many window companies will end up going under will be unreal and bad for the economy. simplez!!!

like i said believe what you want! im an honest lad trying to make a living for my new family!!
    hope there are some decent people on this forum!
  • ButtiButti Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grovey1 wrote: »
    I have been replacing broken down double glazed units for about 7 years now I also manufacture the glass and in my expert oponion the only way is to replace the complete double glazed unit. Who would want holes drilled into there glass anyway and the cost is probably more expensive as I would supply and fit a double glazed unit 750mm wide by 250mm high for about £45 with a 5 year guarantee

Grovey are you anywhere near the North East?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (02/21) £661
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage[/COLOR]
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • btsimonhbtsimonh Forumite
    1 posts
    I found this very useful, did a recon myself, and it looks lovely. For how long i don't know, and I'd do the next one slightly more carefully next time, but for the moment, i'm very happy.

Good info I found at mymistywindowfix dot com (sorry, won't let me post links here :( - maybe a moderator will convert it for me as it's a genuinely useful link).

I have about 40 sq m, and have been quoted £45/sqm to supply new units, which is not a bad price, cheaper than the conservatory company who wanted £10000 to do it. But cost to recondition yourself is ~£4 sqm if you just use silicon sealant and recon the dessicant.

if paying for the time, then reconditioning is probably not as economic as replacement, as it took me ~2 hours of my time.
  • Hi All,

Came across this post and unfortunately one of my window panes have failed. It is starting to steam up and will need replacing.

Lardy2 - How did your replacement went?

My DG is around 60cm by 45cm in size, any idea how much it would cost for a replacement window? I do not want to be ripped off.

I am based in the Barking Essex area

Thanks in advance
  • lardy2 wrote: »
    had quote today for one sealed unit ( 38" by 31") sorry old school
    cost of £60 pounds plus vat will get him out in next 2 weeks to do the repair i will watch him and let ya know how he does it and if it works.

Lardy2 how did yours went and if the company was good, can you forward me the details. Ta