We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vent - My local Co-op.....

Options

Comments

• s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    does it not strike any of you that its odd you keep mentioning the great reduced section?
    if i was in retailing of perishable goods i would only have stocks sufficient to supply needs as marks and spencers do etc this way it keeps costs down through wastage
    it therefore follows that if they overstock due to poor housekeeping or bad management then prices will have to be large to cover wastage

think about it
  • squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    does it not strike any of you that its odd you keep mentioning the great reduced section?
    if i was in retailing of perishable goods i would only have stocks sufficient to supply needs as marks and spencers do etc this way it keeps costs down through wastage
    it therefore follows that if they overstock due to poor housekeeping or bad management then prices will have to be large to cover wastage

think about it

If only it were that easy.

Surely it must be impossible for the co-op to judge exactly how many of their customers are going to choose to buy which specific perishable items from their range, within the few days shelf life of each individual packet, when there are several hundred if not a few thousand product lines displayed at any one time?

If it were rationed to a quantity they knew they could sell all of without fail,at full price, the shelves would be as bare as a Soviet supermarket when one line after another sells out.

Having a well stocked reduced section for still-fresh items is the co-op's main attraction as far as I'm concerned. Up to 90% off quite often.

I'm sure M&S have wastage too, its probably taken off the shelf and hidden away in a back room somewhere, they may have a different approach, that having a !!!!-bin devalues the brand and is a magnet for the less desirable class of customer

keep snapping up the bargains folks
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    If only it were that easy.

I'm sure M&S have wastage too, its probably taken off the shelf and hidden away in a back room somewhere,

Marks has been doing yellow stickers now for a while.
  • Grandmasu
    Options
    My local Co-op is abysmal, the lighting is very low (you often wonder if they are actually open) as others have said, prices are high and the meat on the deli counter looks stale. At Christmas I had been into MOrrisons, absolutely heaving with every checkout open queued 5 0r 6 deep.

When leaving realised I had forgotten some sauce and could not bear the thought of going round again so went to the Co-op about a mile down the road and about half the size of Morrisons.

It was like a ghost town, probably only half a dozen people in there and only 1 0f their 14 check-outs open! How can they survive, if I was a manager I would be seriously worried, when it was Somerfield at least there were a reasonable number of customers.
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love the Co-op. They've really pushed "Fairtrade". They seem to have a responsible attitude to food. A lot comes from their own farms.

Here in Belper the aisles are twice as wide as Morrisons, they look after the old & disabled. The people on the tills are always cheerful & appear better paid than in the other stores. They'll always remind you if you miss a 2 for 1 or similar better deal.

I am a member & believe in this system. And their bank is great.
    Nice to save.
  • Furrtiv
    Furrtiv Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    My local Co-op is also pretty good, as is the next nearest - managed to buy huge amounts of meat for the freezer for less than £20m - three large packs of pork ribs, two packs of eight chicken thighs, and three packs of mince, plus some extras, all of it reduced and not nasty cheapo meat, tasty stuff. Most of the staff are okay, too. And the fresh bakery stuff is delicious, especially their Rolo cookies!
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furrtiv wrote: »
    My local Co-op is also pretty good, as is the next nearest - managed to buy huge amounts of meat for the freezer for less than £20m - three large packs of pork ribs, two packs of eight chicken thighs, and three packs of mince, plus some extras, all of it reduced and not nasty cheapo meat, tasty stuff. Most of the staff are okay, too. And the fresh bakery stuff is delicious, especially their Rolo cookies!

wow are you victor kiam?
    you probably could have bought the company with that amount of dosh:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furrtiv wrote: »

How big is your freezer :eek::eek:
  • bcl999
    Options
    It's likely an average size one - it's the Co-op prices that bring it to £20m.
  • bcl999
    edited 18 February 2012 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Do the Co-op read this thread? See post number 50 above.

I passed my local this morning. They have a large poster in the window advertising 4pts milk at £1.25! They are now only 25% dearer than the Iceland right next door instead of 60%.

Another MSE result! (Well, kind of...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family