We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vent - My local Co-op.....

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son is a student who works at the Co-Op. I always get good service.

I'm sure the two are not connected.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • marywooyeah
    Options
    there used to be a big co-op by us staffed by miserable old hags and was overpriced too - even when reduced the stuff was the same price as other shops!
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    Dreamnine wrote: »
    I refuse to shop there... If I was going to spend that kind of money I may as well go to Waitrose.

Nowadays I do! I find Waitrose is in fact cheaper!

And don't get me started on the awful "fresh" fruit and veg at the Co-op. Floppy broccoli... no thanks.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love my local Co-op. I call in on the way back from the school run sometimes for bread, milk and stuff. They do lovely fresh french bread every day, sometimes their offers are good too. I got 2 packs of toilet rolls (9 per pack) for £5.50 last week. I wouldn't do my main shop there but if i factor in the cost of travelling to my local Tesco or Asda, it's cheaper for me to buy stuff at the co-op. The staff are lovely too, if you need something specific, they'll save it for you.
  • Absinthe_2
    Options
    bcl999 wrote: »
    At noon today (Friday) there was only one till open and that was at the cigarette kiosk. It's not one of their tiny stores - it used to be a Somerfield. I put down my shopping and walked out as I decided that they didn't deserve my custom if they can't be bothered having sufficient tills open at a peak shopping time. They are the dearest supermarket in town so staff costs shouldn't be an issue.

I've done so on several occasions previously at Tesco's. My local used to be terrible for queues, and not enough cashiers when busy. One occasion there were all these managers around when I, and some others did so (a full trolley in my case).

Never had a problem in there since that last occasion.
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
  • Alex-Riley.
    Options
    Absinthe wrote: »
    I've done so on several occasions previously at Tesco's. My local used to be terrible for queues, and not enough cashiers when busy. One occasion there were all these managers around when I, and some others did so (a full trolley in my case).

Never had a problem in there since that last occasion.

if everyone did this then they would never be enough tills open
  • Absinthe_2
    Options

Exactly. As a consumer will vote with my feet, and take custom elsewhere if receiving poor service. Think they got fed up of people abandoning trolleys full of shopping, so bucked up their ideas. Good service in there now.
    Oh well...
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Can you explain the logic behind this statement?

Exactly. As a consumer will vote with my feet, and take custom elsewhere if receiving poor service. Think they got fed up of people abandoning trolleys full of shopping, so bucked up their ideas. Good service in there now.

Unless I'm being particularly obtuse, you seem to have read Alex's statement to mean the opposite of what it says.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2012 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Azari wrote: »

Unless I'm being particularly obtuse, you seem to have read Alex's statement to mean the opposite of what it says.

I know what he mean't, but disagree. I stand by what I have said and will do time and time again, if it means getting good service in future.
    Oh well...
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know what he mean't, but disagree. I stand by what I have said and will do time and time again, if it means getting good service in future.

I thought you must disagree but starting your post with 'exactly' rather implied that you agreed with him.

Although quite why he seems to think that people leaving loaded trolleys will mean there "would never be enough tills open" I can't imagine.

I agree with you. Once the cost of putting goods back on shelves (and possibly disposing of frozen goods) exceeds the cost of having sufficient checkout operators it will be apparent to even the densest of managers which is the most profitable option.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport