We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous

Options

Comments

• Tiger_greeneyes
    Tiger_greeneyes Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I keep seeing the kleancolors on eBay and was VERY tempted. However OH and I today had a rather shocking letter from the bank, so cannot buy any more polishes again for some time. :o(

However I do have loads of stuff to play with so that should fill my varnish addiction hopefully!!!!

Aw, that sucks :(

You can play with franken and do swaps on the facebook page so don't lose heart hun :(
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a little play with my Illamasqua polishes from their nail event a couple of weeks back
    7322172704_02f9d7e256_m.jpg
    This is Bacterium (nice name lol) on it's own but then I decided to give taping a go and added some Scarab on thumb and ring fingers

7322180084_ec4214575a_m.jpg7322177854_22739ffc50_m.jpg7322175998_be99b8154e_m.jpg
    That flipping tape is so fiddly!!! I really, really hate doing my right hand!

That looks fab. I love that Bacterium....horrible name...gorgeous colour. Might need to add that to my ever expanding wishlist. (Skint though, so won't be buying anything for a while.)
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I repainted my nails last night and used one of my oldest lacquers that I don't think I've worn for years - still looks lovely though. OPI Suzy Loves Sydney.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • HanSpan
    HanSpan Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ida_Notion wrote: »
    It must be the day for that kind of thing. I'm itching to do something football-related for Euro 2012, but it doesn't kick off until the end of the week and so last night I thought I'd join the fray and do something for the jubilee instead. I sponged dark blue onto the tip half of bright red nails and stamped it over with silver Konad.

Unless you're looking at it extremely closely, it looks like I've spent the evening digging the garden with my fingernails, neglecting to wash my hands and then chewing my cuticles until they've bled profusely. Needlessly to say, the whole lot will be coming off ASAP in favour of something a bit less gruesome looking :)

The 'Long Acre' green reminds me of how processed peas used to look until manufacturers were forced to cut back on the E numbers and stop putting the dye in :D

Oh god your description made me laugh till I cried - really. Did you take a picture? I really want to see it now.
  • HanSpan
    Options
    backhoe wrote: »
    Well have had my first attempt at water marbling. Not brilliant but pleased that it didnt go horribly wrong.

Please excuse the state of the cuticles. They need some serious attention!!!

I think the marbling looks great - particularly for a first attempt.

My cuticles are a complete disaster - all self inflicted as I poke and chew and pull at them till they bleed. Yes I know its idiotic - I don't do it consciously;)
    Anyway in Greece I went into a pharmacist and asked for some cuticle remover, after a fair bit of mime she gave me bottle of something called GEHWOL med Nail Softener and told me to put on one or two drops a day, and that I could put a drop under the nail too if I wanted.
    So I did and it was bizarre - my cuticles were really easy to remove with orange sticks and where my nail beds were wonky I've been able to push them around a little without pain and get them a bit tidier looking too. After a few days I realised I was in effect peeling from under the edge of my nails. I googled the stuff and its actually meant for softening toe nails and the skin round them where you have ingrowing nails. Tyically Greek to use something ferocious for a purpose it was not intended for, but seems to be working a treat for me (except when I still unconsciously grab the odd hangnail and just pull).

Do NOT take this as advice, I am not a doctor and all that, plus I have nails that are as hard as nails - I can turn screws with my thumb nails and my cutucles are like the hard skin on some people's feet from years of abuse. For someone with soft, nails and delicate cuticles I suspect they'd probably have no nails at all in a few days!
  • HanSpan
    Options
    I'm now an addict. I spent the morning perusing Boots and Superdrugs nail polishes looking for a very glittery topcoat. They're all too ickle flecky and I sort of want a chunky effect. Eventually bought 2 Cover Girl crackles in £land - red and gold.
    I have never, ever used a crackle :o

I also have 24 kleancolor polishes coming from ebay soon.
    I'm beginning to dread reading this thread as it's causing me serious pain in the credit card :rotfl:

*ignoring the Nails Inc offer* ;)

24? I feel quite virtuous now. Thanks to this thread I feel far less guilt:D
  • HanSpan
    Options
    That's who I ordered from. Am so looking forward to getting them! My daughter is frantically trying to grow her nails as I told her no nails = no polish. Sounds mean but if I can get her to break the habit is all to the good. :)

Does she chew? I used to chew mine terribly, my mother used to say I chewed up to my elbows and it was definitely not pretty! I tried all manner of stop and grow type things but what eventually worked was my mother bought me some cheap stick on nails so mine could grow underneath. Once they had she took off the fake ones and filed mine tidily.

I think for me having catchy bits that irritated me made it impossible to resist picking and chewing. Once that had gone and they already looked quite nice it was easy to not start again.

I think its why I still have problems avoiding chewing the cuticles, I just can't stand the little catchy bits and feel compelled to get rid of them.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    HanSpan wrote: »
    I think the marbling looks great - particularly for a first attempt.

My cuticles are a complete disaster - all self inflicted as I poke and chew and pull at them till they bleed. Yes I know its idiotic - I don't do it consciously;)
    Anyway in Greece I went into a pharmacist and asked for some cuticle remover, after a fair bit of mime she gave me bottle of something called GEHWOL med Nail Softener and told me to put on one or two drops a day, and that I could put a drop under the nail too if I wanted.
    So I did and it was bizarre - my cuticles were really easy to remove with orange sticks and where my nail beds were wonky I've been able to push them around a little without pain and get them a bit tidier looking too. After a few days I realised I was in effect peeling from under the edge of my nails. I googled the stuff and its actually meant for softening toe nails and the skin round them where you have ingrowing nails. Tyically Greek to use something ferocious for a purpose it was not intended for, but seems to be working a treat for me (except when I still unconsciously grab the odd hangnail and just pull).

Do NOT take this as advice, I am not a doctor and all that, plus I have nails that are as hard as nails - I can turn screws with my thumb nails and my cutucles are like the hard skin on some people's feet from years of abuse. For someone with soft, nails and delicate cuticles I suspect they'd probably have no nails at all in a few days!

I use Gehwol for my toes as the big nails alway want to embed themselves into the skin. Not quite ingrown but getting there. Gehwol is quite cheap as well, about £6 from my chiropodist. Never considered using it on my fingers. It does smell lovely though.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ummm not sure if funky or cheezy ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67469783/nails/IMAG0404.jpg

* ps before clean up as not sure if i am keeping....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • iamashoppingaddict
    Options
    I think they look very classy!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family