Talex Lite Speed Cam Detector £59.99 in Aldi - Hurry!!

Options

Comments

• kevrex
    kevrex Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks sco0ter you have cheered me up!!
    i will wait this time
    will the update come from novus or from the ?new talex technology ltd. on the old talex site?
    It is better to contemplate writing a malicious comment that can make you appear stupid, than to write and confirm it.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that i will try it later and switch my firewall off.

ours is a novus rider, was thinking of taking it back for a refund, and £60 is a lot to have stuck in a draw.

so the up-dates are def working, as i just kept getting an error 16
  • Kremmen_2
    Options
    I bought my TalexLite about a year ago after reading the AutoExpress review and fortunately just subscribed for a year.

If either company start the updates again then that suits me as I have no brand loyalty for this issue. Under the circumstances though I doubt whether I would purchase from either company for quite a while until firmly established.

This is a shame because the new Talex Elite / Novus Alpha looks like a decent piece of kit.

2 companies though, both selling what looks like the same equipment with what also looks like identical style databases. It will be interesting when some of the GPS websites start to compare them back to back along their test routes. Surely one of these 2 will collapse once the reviewers get hold ?

I have looked at alternative units......I am staggered at the price of the Pogo Alert - £250, plus a hefty subscription fee !
    Snooper are no better at £5 a month.

If this is not sorted soon then it's a TomTom OneXL for me with the cameras from PGPSW at £19 a year. Information overload for me as my car has a built in SatNav but at least their camera database is safe.
  • nobody_cares
    Options
    i have been following this thread for some time and, after becoming totally confused decided to take the plunge. I went to my local halfords to buy a Talex-lite for £59.00, almost next door was Aldi's so i went in for a look and saw the gps rider for £59.00. after a quick "erm" i purchased the gps rider.
    At the moment i am very pleased with it, it detected the five speed camera's and three mobile sites on the way home - Perfectly. and it works through my electrically heated front screen.
    So why did i go for the gps rider? Well Aldi's 30 day money back offer helped,
    it has the database online at the moment and it can be used off battery. Also i am concerned about the Novus bashing on here and extremely "sceptical" of the company / person who has purchased Talex!
    Time will tell if the Novus data base will be any good - i hope so but tbh a free database sounds too good to be true.
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that i will try it later and switch my firewall off.

ours is a novus rider, was thinking of taking it back for a refund, and £60 is a lot to have stuck in a draw.

so the up-dates are def working, as i just kept getting an error 16

Make sure you download the update again as earlier versions didnt work,, It should be around 1.5MB.. The original one I downloaded was only 800Kb
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Kremmen wrote: »
    This is a shame because the new Talex Elite / Novus Alpha looks like a decent piece of kit.

2 companies though, both selling what looks like the same equipment with what also looks like identical style databases. It will be interesting when some of the GPS websites start to compare them back to back along their test routes. Surely one of these 2 will collapse once the reviewers get hold ?

Despite what has been said here it does look like NOVUS have the rights to the Talex Technology as they wouldnt be able to sell it otherwise and the product would have been pulled if any legal issues remained. As for TALEX TECHNOLOGIES.. They have not said anything about selling the ELITE,ALPHA. there is no product info whatsoever so I would take it they are going to be releasing new products but are just wanting to keep hold of the customer base.

As for the person who seems to be involved with TALEX now... He had his own company that sold these type of detectors and then started selling the LASER/RADAR ones instead saying GPS ones were no use so maybe this is the route TALEX TECHNOLOGIES will go down which could meen the database will suffer.

As for people buying these and getting worried... If the database doesnt get updated or dissapears then you can return the item as it was falsly advertised and misleading.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sco0ter wrote: »
    Despite what has been said here it does look like NOVUS have the rights to the Talex Technology as they wouldnt be able to sell it otherwise and the product would have been pulled if any legal issues remained.

it looks to me that the pcb hardware is bog standard oem from china, all the various firms do is put a slightly different plastic case or led colour etc on it. I would go so far as to guess the talex/novus hardware might even be identical with just options on the board selected or a few extra components put in for the differences of the various models etc.

So the only issue is the quality of the database, and this is what the reputation of the original talex company was built on (and good price!). Now novus were stopped using (a now getting out of date) database, so had to find an alternative, so it all depends who of the 2 companies gets a team together to get the same quality of information round the country as the original talex company had. I don't think just gathering the info from the standard web pages or just buying someone else's database is going to cut it in the same way as of old, but we will wait and see.

At least it's beginning to look like there will be 2 databases to choose from, so with some feedback once they are running you can choose who to go with and it doesn't look as black as it did when we thought the hardware was now just paperweights with no future updates.
  • Kremmen_2
    Options
    As has been mentioned above in various ways - how can any company employ a group of camera verifiers/spotters, be they ex-police or not, and then just give away the data ?

My Talex subscription kit came from Embedded Technology Maidstone, Kent. I see that Novus are also Maidstone, Kent. Wonder if the new Talex Technology is also Maidstone ?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kremmen wrote: »
    My Talex subscription kit came from Embedded Technology Maidstone, Kent. I see that Novus are also Maidstone, Kent. Wonder if the new Talex Technology is also Maidstone ?

no, the new talex according to the email sent to me is

Unit 12
    Grays Farm Production Village
    Grays Farm Road
    St Pauls Cray
    Orpington
    Kent
    BR5 3BD
  • Kremmen_2
    Options
    Extremely adjacent though !

Interesting :)