PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Bless you MLW - a whole year. Lots of hugs to you.

Lainey - I hope you have a wonderful time in Somerset and the weather stays good for you.

Candlelight - lovely to catch up on all your news - manuka honey is a wonderful thing :-)

Not a huge amount to report from us - lots of work of course! Came back from a bike ride on Sunday, down my cousin's long drive, and found I'd slashed the sidewall of my front tyre - so that's new tyres this weekend. Cycling is a money pit! Poor DH, he was adding up how much it has cost so far - I went very quiet, especiailly as he missed a few purchases....

The cats are well, Alfie's diet seems to have stalled but I'm sure he's eating elsewhere again. He's appeared licking his chops rather suspiciously a few times, as well as bringing in plenty of mice, so he might well be dining on them too.

Well, this weekend is shaping up to be a busy one - taking my cousin's son to his rugby game on Saturday morning as heer husband is working away and his daughter has netball at the same time. Then off to get new bike tyres, then in the evening it's.... All Blacks V Wales and we're going to the match! WAHOOOOOO! We got our tickets from the early release, and whilst they're not especially cheap, I think they are good value as we get free train travel to and from the game (and they're cheaper than international tickets in the UK). Sunday morning is cousin's son's 10th birthday party so I think we'll be there most of the day. Not a weekend for cycling!

The weather is being it's usual weird NZ self. For the last week it's been really cold - 2 degrees at night and I needed thermals for cycling at the weekend. Glorious sunshine tho. Now we have rain and thick cloud - and last night was 17 degrees! Toasty warm! I'm told it won't rain on Saturday when we're at the game, fingers crossed cos we're not undercover in our cheapy seats...

right, better get onto some work,

much love,
    Hoglet xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're fine, really OK and just happy we had him in our lives (and usually in our bed too!), we miss him it's only natural that we do but that ache in my throat when I remember he's gone has turned into a smile when I think of him. Anyway he's not really gone I keep finding doggy footprints on newly vacuumed carpets and newly made beds so I know he's still here and I make sure I take him with us when Cookie and I go walkies, he's just ahead or just behind but always there which is lovely!

Thank you all for being so kind, it's very much appreciated, I'm so glad I have you all as my friends, Lyn xxx.
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all. Didn't manage to get internet access until tonight and we are heading home tomorrow.

Candlelight - hope your ultrasound goes ok tomorrow (well it will be today for you now I guess!)

MrsLW - hasn't the year passed so quickly? We lost our beloved Jack Russell 14 years ago and I still miss him dreadfully however it's simply not practical for us to have a dog right now so I make the most of my mothers two.

Lainey - "Peter" (the pheasant) has altered his routine slightly in our absence. He normally starts at our house around daylight before visiting a cottage nearby and arriving at my parents farm about quarter of a mile away by mid morning. For the last week he has been squawking at my neighbours much earlier before heading to the farm where apparently he has been terrorising the farm cats:) I imagine he will be glad to get back to normality over the weekend.

Hoglet - enjoy the match. It will be entertaining whatever the result.

AOT - hope you are well.

Hopefully I'll be around on Sunday and I can explain my last minute trip to the sunshine state. I'm used to visiting here in the winter when it's warm but it's so sticky and humid right now my sunglasses mist up as soon as I get out of the air conditioned car:D first world problems huh!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Hello all,

A little overcast today but mainly dry. We did have some rain over the weekend, which actually was much needed.

Went for my ultrasound on Friday. It wasn't at our local hospital, so drove the country roads because it was morning rush hour, took us about half an hour. One ticket machine wasn't working so Himself walked up to another, whilst I went into the hospital. I was just going in to the ultra sound dept. as he came in, I must have been in there a total of 4 minutes and another half an hour home. Evidently I am now in the system and when I have my appointment with the Consultant on the 30th he SHOULD have some idea of what is wrong. I feel absolutely fine so I might be a mystery to him (hopefully).

We popped to the Hospice shop this morning with our old TV unit. Funnily enough we bought it from them in the first place. so they will be able to re-sell it. We then had a run up to Morrisons, because when we went shopping on Saturday I forgot toilet rolls:eek:

Himself has to see the heart failure nurses on Thursday. I expect it is just to check on him and be sure he is happy with his progress, which we are. No weight gain, legs healing beautifully, able to sleep in bed all night and no cough. On a program last week it said one third of people diagnosed with heart failure die within a year, well I am making sure he is in the other two thirds:) When I look back he had so many symptoms for such a long time it is a miracle he is still here.

Hoglet your weather seems to be very mixed at the moment. Our evenings are light until about 9.30 sometimes even later, and believe me I am making the most of it. It isn't always sunny but I just love the summer. The garden is beginning to look really good, roses are lovely, we have several patches of a blue geranium and red hot pokers.

Lainey I hope you are having a good holiday, I think the weather is probably mixed but I am sure the three of you will enjoy yourself. I am glad you went to Burnham, I imagine it has changed a great deal since I was young.

Lyn I noticed you have begun walking Cookie again, is your foot better? It sounds a bit dire about all the places wanting planning permission to build housing estates in your area. I hope you don't lose all your lovely walks.

SM are you home yet? I know you enjoy going to the US on holiday, but I assume this one is work.

Not a great deal planned for this week.

Take care of yourselves

Much love

Candlelightx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 June 2016 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Hi CANDLELIGHT yes my heel is much better and I've started walking her again but not today, I'm excruciatingly 'burpy' and indigestion ridden, can't think I've had anything that He Who Knows hasn't but I'm quite uncomfortable and definitely antisocial in polite society!!! Hope it wears off by tomorrow it's not nice!!!

So pleased to hear that Mr.C is so much improved you've done a fantastically good job the pair of you of getting him well again!

I AM very concerned over the proposed building that will in all likelihood be given planning permission, it will completely change life here for everyone who is already living here. I know the government say there is a shortage of housing but building executive top of the luxury end of the market houses isn't going to change that is it? We'll have to see what happens but Nell has made the decision that she won't be coming away from where she lives now even if she does change the school she teaches at for another so I'm going to seriously look at properties in the area around there and that would mean being much closer to Ruthie too and we'd be able to be much more use to them both and see them and Ezra much more often without a 2 1/2 hour drive in each direction. Online searches show lots of suitable homes at a price we would be able to afford so we'll see what happens here and perhaps in the fullness of time move up there too! Lyn xxx.
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm back to chilly Scotland. What a change in temperature!

So my trip to the sunshine state was a bit of a last minute decision. I had a weeks holiday from work and I had planned lots of things at home however hubby and I decided at the last minute to head across the water. When we visited earlier in the year we finally realised a shared dream to own a place in the Gulf Coast. We've since completed the sale and have been trying to sort out some minor repairs from this end however it was proving challenging so we decided to go across for a week and deal with things. We accomplished a lot in a short time and although we didn't get much time to relax we are both happier with things now. It's a long term thing, we hope that in years to come when we are semi retired we can spend longer periods there however at the moment it will only be a few weeks a year and we will rent it out enough to cover running costs in the meantime. It will be strange not to stay in our normal hotel when we go back after Christmas. We had become very regular guests there however we will definitely drop in to see the staff and explain why we aren't staying.

It's not big or fancy. A two bed condo on a golf course in a very sedate area but we bought it fully furnished and it's clean and perfectly serviceable for now. If I'm honest we've been quite secretive about it apart from to our parents as we felt a bit embarrassed that it seemed ridiculously extravagant to own a second home however we've worked hard and make sacrifices to make it happen so I'm getting past that stage now. Not everyone's reaction has been positive though, it sure has been an eye opener.

Anyway while I was gone there was a mini heatwave here in Scotland (while we were under torrential rain and tropical storms:)) so my garden was looking a bit parched when I returned. It has revived a bit and the fruit trees look like they may have good amounts of fruit on them. I also have tiny tomatoes which I'm thrilled about. The plants had a lot of leaves so I took quite a lot off to let the light in better.

Candlelight - I hope you get your results soon and himself also has good news.

MrsLW - I'm at a loss to understand the strategy around home building right now. All around I see massive homes being built on what was once green belt land and roads,schools and public services struggling to cope. I simply don't understand how we can keep building homes at ridiculous prices but not seem to free up any affordable ones in doing so. I also don't know how many people really learned much from the bank crash and have affordable mortgages but then that's a whole other issue.

I missed the Sewing Bee earlier however I still have last weeks episode to watch so will catch up later in the week. I find it really inspiring, the contestants are very talented and some of the fabrics are quite unique.

I was back to work today so will spend the rest of the week playing catch up. In some ways lots of things have happened in my absence however I would describe it as a lot of noise and not much progress so I need to get things moving again.

Off to empty the dishwasher and put the washing machine on before bed. Oh and take something cooked from the freezer for tomorrow night - that's a priority!

Have a good week all.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    SM, well done, I am sure you will have some wonderful holidays there.

As I have mentioned my Sister and BIL are able to spend several months over in Florida, and in actual fact bought 2 cars to keep there as well. I know the maintenance of their home can be quite expensive and a couple of years ago they had tree bats in their roof which had to be dealt with. They are close to a beach and golf courses, which is BILs passion.

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good for you, SM, that sounds wonderful.
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Thank you both.

Candlelight - tree bats sound quite drastic! I've always been fascinated by the little geckos which are widespread in Florida but I had a front door encounter with a very large black one whom I named Godzilla. He was almost trodden on and made no effort to move to begin with. One of the neighbours warned us they sometimes come up through the drains and enter homes via the toilets if the water in the bowl has evaporated (generally because the home is empty for a while) so one of my last tasks was to frantically cling wrap my loos to keep anything like that (or nastier) out!

We don't play golf -yet, but who knows what we may do when we have more time. I'm very competitive though so would need to have lessons and be passable before I ventured out.
    I have a crisis in the garden tonight - one of my gooseberry bushes had mound or mildew. The fruit has white powder on. You can rub it off however it's a bit off putting. Hubby thinks he scattered about much fertiliser round there (farm strength stuff too) so we wonder if that is the root of the problem. I don't know if I should just hack it back now and burn the cuttings in case it spreads to the other fruit bushes. It won't be tonight though, it's pouring and bitterly cold!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Well we are now firmly ensconced back in our lovely home after the week away in Somerset. The weather could have been be nicer to us with a lot of heavy showers but did see some sun.

The cottage was in a fab location, down a quiet little lane with just a few passing dog walkers and tractors for traffic. When we first arrived there was cows in the field behind the cottage but they went after the first day, the farmer then fertilised the field which was, ahem, interesting!
    Cottage itself was nice, a tad style over substance if you know what I mean comfort wise? The sofa and chairs looked good but were not exactly cosy to sit in but on the whole we were pleased.
    We got out and about, visiting Wells, Bath, Glastonbury etc, particularly enjoyed Dunster castle and village, can heartily recommend if you find yourself down that way. Mum wasn't too bad mobility wise and we were careful not to tire her out, she certainly seemed to enjoy herself and had a good appetite. Much cake and cream scones were consumed by us all and as Mr Kay says, diet starts tomorrow :rotfl:
    Oh but it's nice to be home, sleeping in my own bed and surrounded by familiar things, am a real home bird and nice as it is to go away I always look forward to coming home to my own cosy nest.

Lovely catching up on all your news, how exciting SM to have your own place in Florida, like you say have worked hard and made sacrifices to have this so good for you m'dear :)

Candlelight hope all is well with you health wise, Mr C certainly seems to be going from strength to strength which is a testament to your care.

Lyn hope you are feeling better after your upset tummy in the week. I did set my teeth and gggrr re your news in the proposed plans for housing, why is it always large, executive houses that seem to go up and never the affordable homes that young families need :(

Hoglet sorry to hear about the bike expenses, had to lol about the purchases not accounted for :) hope you enjoyed the AB/Wales match? We certainly enjoyed seeing the England game yesterday.

Anyways, time for another cuppa. Hope to spend today in the garden tidying up, moving pots & planting others up. Had a look at my apple tree yesterday, not many little apples have set so think we will have a low harvest this year. Still last years was good and can't always be the same.

Take care everyone, love to all x x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport