Be Wise... don't go with "Be Wiser" Car Insurance!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Tim_Willis
    Options
    I was mis-sold breakdown recovery alongside my 2 Be Wiser COvea car insurance policies for a car and a van earlier this year following Churchill's decision to stop insuring vans.

In another situation you could perhaps put this down to a simple misunderstanding if it wasn't for the numerous long-winded calls spread over several days discussing this particular part of the policy. I can only conclude that I was purposely deceived by the rep who would quite obviously tell me anything to sign and that BeWiser's (purposely?) flawed procedures make the company complicit in this scam.

Trust me once you have signed on the dotted line you will find that the happy, smiley Be Wiser experience takes quite a nosedive. In fact forget any possibility of getting through to anyone with a modicum of common sense within 30 minutes.

I received absolutely nothing in my documents detailing what was included in my breakdown package (despite their claims I had been sent emails) and had to call Bewiser to clarify the details, yet again more deception. I only found out from the RAC that I only had 10 mile breakdown recovery when I was actually broken down on the M40 60 miles from home. Bewiser then took the best part of 30 minutes to answer my call to ask them what the hell was going on. I eventually arrived home some 5 hours late and with a bill of £185!

Even trying to make a complaint with Be wlser simply beggars belief they called me a day later than promised, from a noisy office (which made the call impossible to hear the caller) and she then even tried to charge for access to recordings of the original calls. Bewiser quite obviously hadn't spent any of my premium on sending this particular lady (!?) to charm school and I was quite frank in telling her what I thought of her. The call finished with this pleasant Be wiser complaints adviser stating she looked forward to receiving my complaint from the Ombudsmen!

I feel as if I have been scammed and will obviously never use Bewiser again but if this report makes one person query the lack of policy detail before handing over money to Be Wiser then I will have achieved my aim.

Expect to see BeWiser's Mark Bowser-Dyke trying to justify their unjustifiable practices on BBC's watchdog some time soon. The only thing that can top off this experience is the irony of the company's name!
  • timbo16
    Options
    To be brief. Got a quote online. received email of quote . agreed to pay £124 deposi and 9 payments of £52.
    Then got an email stating need to contact to verify. during verification the online system assumed I had had the car since 1996 even though I ticked the NOT BOUGHT YET BOX. Then they said the quote was wrong and wanted £952. I said I need to cancel as this was not what I needed and was informed that they would keep £45 as I had cancelled. after some strong words I decided to accept this but will be taking it further ie. ombudsman etc. Thieving !!!!!!s
  • Teotine
    Options
    BE WARNED !! - AVOID AT ALL COSTS !!!!!

I filled in their website statement of facts very carefully on 02/11/16 as I have a motoring conviction and received 10 quotes ranging from £718.23 to £11,543.65 !! and naturally accepted the cheapest option and paid the £718.23 in full by card.
    On 03/11/16 I received an urgent cancellation email saying I had not declared my motoring conviction ! After spreaking with one of their staff I asked to cancel before my card payment went through. I was told she would deal with it and phone me back......guess what !!.....no phone call and the payment went through on 04/11/16.
    I have sent emails to there admin, customer care & help address without reply.
    The cover I require does not start until 19/11/16 but I'm sure there will be an extortionate cancellation fee for a service I have not received !!!!!......presuming I do receive reimbursement.!!?
    I only wish I had read all the 100's of negative reviews about this company on various websites earlier.
    I am a pensioner and can ill afford the stress and anxiety that this company has caused me.
    I will update in due course.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Ask them to explain why they think you hadn't declared the conviction, if you're sure you did. Perhaps there was a slight error on the date, and they aren't applying common sense to it?

Once you'd received the quote did you look over the statement of fact to ensure the quote was based on the information you keyed in, before you accepted it? This might sound like a silly question and a silly thing to do, but it can prevent scenarios like this from happening.

Write a polite and consice letter of complaint to their complaints dept, details will be found in your paperwork (try the key facts, it's easier to find in a short document like that), avoid emotion in the letter and stick to the facts.

If you're unhappy with their response (or they don't respond or update you within 8 weeks) then escalate your complaint to the FOS.
  • Teotine
    Options
    Just received a response this evening saying they are cancelling my policy with my current insurer ???as from 11/11/16 ??? due to my failure to disclose my conviction........strange how all the other quotes of the same statement were correct and I do not need a policy until 19/11/16.
    They will reimburse my money after the 11th minus a cancellation fee of £45......surprise,surprise !!
    To summarise : It's cost me £45 for a load of worry and stress and no goods or services whatsoever!!!
    I have now taken a policy with another company and it is £100 cheaper and no hassle !!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Now you have had your policy cancelled then you must disclose this to any other insurer you approach for quotes/new policy (did you disclose the cancellation to the insurer you have now gone to? If not tell them now otherwise they will be able to void your policy)

You also need to try and get this cancellation reversed - a cancelled policy on your record is bad news!

Make a formal complaint that your cancellation was unfair as you did disclose your conviction, and ask that they correct this and reimburse the cancellation fee they charged you over this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure