Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

MPGS - What's it Like?? - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search
We are aware of problems with Forum search at present and are looking to resolve them as soon as possible [Last update 22/10 - 18:46 GMT]
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MPGS - What's it Like??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
166 replies 89.7K views

Replies

• mrskezzamrskezza Forumite
    27 posts
    Ok well any extra information let us know.

That's abit poor about his pay. Surely they should know what pay he is supposed me on. I just love it how we have to find out the information. hopefully this will be sorted out for you both. I'm sure that i was given one in the AFCO with a booklet from the top of my head i think level 4 was about £18,437.
    MissKitty wrote: »
    Hello mrskezza

Yes it's definately good news about the recruitment side of the MPGS. Hopefully this is the solution and it will speed up peoples applications.

Hubby doesn't know where to get any further information about this, if anything the AFCO's should know something about it. He was told by one of the instructors on the course.

He hasn't asked about how quickly he can move up the ranks, he feels it's a bit cheeky when he has only been there 2 weeks. He was told that if he is prepared to move about and not stay in one place he will move up alot quicker. In the long run he is better to get as far as possible up the ranks as it will mean a better pension when he finishes, so I'm preparing myself for a bit more separation and commuting in the years to come!!

I did hear something about a new rule that they have to be in their rank for a certain amount of time before they will be considered for promotion but I'm not sure if this is true or where to find details on it.

At the moment I'm trying to find an up to date 2012 pay scale for the MPGS but can't seem to find one, does anyone know where to get hold of one? it's not the same pay scale as the regular army as the MPGS get paid slightly less due to not deploying.

The admin office where he works doesn't have any info, he went in there the other day as he has been put on the wrong pay level, they want him to show them proof of what payscale he should be on as they don't have anything, great!!!
  • EsoogEsoog Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the whole of recruiting for the Army has been outsourced to Crapita - NOT just the MPGS. This is not good news in the slightest, if you wanted to join the Army who would you rather dealt with your application; people that know about the Army or just a bunch of random (not even MOD) civvies that are only interested in hitting targets and giving the minimum effort for the maximum reward - as most companies that have MOD contracts appear to do. It's not going to be good!
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esoog wrote: »
    Actually, the whole of recruiting for the Army has been outsourced to Crapita - NOT just the MPGS. This is not good news in the slightest, if you wanted to join the Army who would you rather dealt with your application; people that know about the Army or just a bunch of random (not even MOD) civvies that are only interested in hitting targets and giving the minimum effort for the maximum reward - as most companies that have MOD contracts appear to do. It's not going to be good!

Capatia are only doing the back office jobs, processing forms, invigilating aptitude tests etc. The recruiting chat will still be done by millitary people.
  • mrskezza wrote: »
    Ok well any extra information let us know.

That's abit poor about his pay. Surely they should know what pay he is supposed me on. I just love it how we have to find out the information. hopefully this will be sorted out for you both. I'm sure that i was given one in the AFCO with a booklet from the top of my head i think level 4 was about £18,437.

Oh No!! after reading the last few comments and the ones below, I am not filled with much confidence. It sounds like the whole admin farce carries on once you are enlisted! The admin staff are always a target for gripes and groans, but if they cannot even tell you what your pay is, what else don't they know?
    I am on holiday for a week now and will take a time out from the job front, part of me wants to call time on the MPGS and stay on civvy street because of the whole frustrating enlistment, and the possibility of it carrying on once I do get in (if only!!) .
    A week off might change my mind and refresh my thoughts.
    Update on my enlistment progress. Guess what?........still no news, we will call you when we hear [email protected]@***!
  • Dont think it will be much quicker with this new agency doing the applications.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • EsoogEsoog Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Capatia are only doing the back office jobs, processing forms, invigilating aptitude tests etc. The recruiting chat will still be done by millitary people.

For how long though? In the current climate who needs a !!!!ed off, passed over Sgt sat in a recruiting office getting paid £35k when Capita could pay someone £6p/h to do it :E
    Capita will work in a supporting capacity with the existing recruiting model from March 2012, and expect to implement a new delivery model in March 2013
    The mind boggles at what fun new ideas they'll come up with..
  • hi everyone im looking for some advice,
    My hubby applied to the MPGS in june, after being out for 2 years.
    Served 12 years in the engineers.
    I was wondering how long the process was currently taking and also about married quarters as we will need another, were in private rent at the minute and he has applied for the whole of south england,

When he rang the AFCO last week they said "some" paperwork was back and he was led to believe this is the CRB check,
    so nothing important i guess

Just wondered if anyone could give a rough estimate on time scale as he is doing agency work which is Crap and only a couple days aweek at best,

thanks for any replies and good luck to everyone else waiting,
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esoog wrote: »
    For how long though? In the current climate who needs a !!!!ed off, passed over Sgt sat in a recruiting office getting paid £35k when Capita could pay someone £6p/h to do it :.

plus pension + quarter etc. Thats a big problem with the millitary employment model. When the're not on ops/exercise they rapidly price themselves out of a 9-5, Mon-Fri job.
    27 posts
    Hi,

What Afco have you applied through?

Similar position to you, we are waiting and waiting! Applied in March looking for anywhere South. They messed up the application then had to do another medical as been out just over a year this apprantly delayed my application so Glasgow only received it in June so in a queue like eveyone else.

It can take 6 weeks, it can take a year. It's just a waiting game. You will get in eventually but when is the question......

We need married quarters aswell but will cross that bridge when we get offered a place.

Keep on at your AFCO as someone else had their application deleted after a year as they though they were no longer interested as they hadn't rung in.

Good Luck
    strung-out wrote: »
    hi everyone im looking for some advice,
    My hubby applied to the MPGS in june, after being out for 2 years.
    Served 12 years in the engineers.
    I was wondering how long the process was currently taking and also about married quarters as we will need another, were in private rent at the minute and he has applied for the whole of south england,

When he rang the AFCO last week they said "some" paperwork was back and he was led to believe this is the CRB check,
    so nothing important i guess

Just wondered if anyone could give a rough estimate on time scale as he is doing agency work which is Crap and only a couple days aweek at best,

thanks for any replies and good luck to everyone else waiting,
    27 posts
    Easy job if you ask me. Who wouldn't want to sit there on 35k giving out bull !!!! with a 9 - 5 job plus the lovely pension and married quarter if you would like one.

I wonder how quickly this new company taking over will process applications?.
    Andy_L wrote: »
    plus pension + quarter etc. Thats a big problem with the millitary employment model. When the're not on ops/exercise they rapidly price themselves out of a 9-5, Mon-Fri job.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support