Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

MPGS - What's it Like?? - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MPGS - What's it Like??

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
166 replies 89.7K views
18911131417

Replies

  • MissKittyMissKitty Forumite
    89 posts
    Hi All

    Hubby has just finished the 5 day course (used to be 10 days) that all MPGS do when they start. He said he really enjoyed it and it was very informative.

    One of the instructors taking the course told them all that from next month (August 2012) a private company has been put in charge of recruitment for the MPGS and their hoping for a turnaround of applications in no more than 4 weeks. They have obviously realised that applications are taking far to long to process.

    I'm not sure what this will mean for people who already have applications in the process, they may well be passed on to this company or the army might finish them off themselves, I'm not sure!!

    Fingers crossed this is a good thing and applications will be processed quicker.

    With regards to the previous post, you are allowed to apply to transfer from your current trade to the MPGS but you cant keep your rank. Everyone who starts in the MPGS has to start as a Private Level 4. If you were allowed to keep your rank alot of people would be transferring as the prospect of having all the benefits of being in the army and not going away anywhere for 6 months at a time would appeal to many soldiers.
  • montymudmontymud Forumite
    1K posts
    It will be Glasgow holding up your application - they are sooooo slow, in fact they give slow a new meaning entirely! You seem to be staying pretty positive and thats great. The AFCO cant do anything at this point anyway so don't worry about their lack of interest. As soon as they receive the paperwork you'll be given the green light. Have you had a look at the list of MPGS sites? If not, have a little look so you know where to choose if you haven't done so already. They will provide you with a list of definite available locations. The only one I would say to avoid as I have knowledge of is Bordon camp. Although a lovely location IMO it is far too much up in the air at the moment due to the prospective move in the next couple of years. I really do wish you luck, keep us updated!

  • MissKitty wrote: »
    Hi All

    Hubby has just finished the 5 day course (used to be 10 days) that all MPGS do when they start. He said he really enjoyed it and it was very informative.

    One of the instructors taking the course told them all that from next month (August 2012) a private company has been put in charge of recruitment for the MPGS and their hoping for a turnaround of applications in no more than 4 weeks. They have obviously realised that applications are taking far to long to process.

    I'm not sure what this will mean for people who already have applications in the process, they may well be passed on to this company or the army might finish them off themselves, I'm not sure!!

    Fingers crossed this is a good thing and applications will be processed quicker.

    With regards to the previous post, you are allowed to apply to transfer from your current trade to the MPGS but you cant keep your rank. Everyone who starts in the MPGS has to start as a Private Level 4. If you were allowed to keep your rank alot of people would be transferring as the prospect of having all the benefits of being in the army and not going away anywhere for 6 months at a time would appeal to many soldiers.



    That is great news I am really pleased that that the system works...slow but works. How long does the process take from doing the course to actually starting and taking up the role?

    I went to the AFCO again and guess what? still no news. It seems that everybody on here have more information than them. I would just love it if they said something different like " I will phone up Glasgow and try to get an idea for you" or something useful like that.
    I also have another dilemma now. I have been offered a new job with more salary in a great location. Truth is I would take the pay cut and move to the MPGS in an instant, if only it was that quick. New role starts in 4 weeks, what should I do? Thoughts anyone?
  • insignia59 wrote: »
    That is great news I am really pleased that that the system works...slow but works. How long does the process take from doing the course to actually starting and taking up the role?

    I went to the AFCO again and guess what? still no news. It seems that everybody on here have more information than them. I would just love it if they said something different like " I will phone up Glasgow and try to get an idea for you" or something useful like that.
    I also have another dilemma now. I have been offered a new job with more salary in a great location. Truth is I would take the pay cut and move to the MPGS in an instant, if only it was that quick. New role starts in 4 weeks, what should I do? Thoughts anyone?

    That's a really difficult decision to make about the new job offer. The problem with the MPGS is it could take months or possibly a year or more and at the end of the day there is no guarantee you will get offered a job, but on the other side if you do get offered a job you want to be able to start straight away.

    Maybe try weighing both jobs up, write down the pros and cons of each job and see what you come up with. Think about the future, where each job will take you and where you want to be in 10 years time, it might help.

    Hubby was given about 3 weeks notice of his start date. On his first week he was doing admin stuff then the second week he was on the 5 day course. He finished the course last Friday and started working nights on Saturday, their quiet short due to soldiers being drafted in for the Olympic Games.

    Have you thought about changing your preference of locations and accepting anywhere just to get you in? I know this is not always possible if you have commitments in a certain location, but single or army quarters are available or you can commute when your off. I know it's a pain but it gets you in and you can try for a transfer to another location when your settled.

    Let us know how you get on.
  • mrskezzamrskezza Forumite
    27 posts
    Hi Miss Kitty,

    This is really good news that your husband has got in. A wait worth waiting for i'm guessing.

    This is good news about the processing. You would thing that the private company would take over all the applications as if theres going to be a 4 week turnaround for new applications and not current ones then this could be deemed as unfair. Is there a possability your husband could find out more information?

    Has he asked about moving up the ranks, how quickly can this be done?

    To be honest even on the privates salary and with all the benefits you get it's better than a job on civi street.

    Look forward to your response.
    MissKitty wrote: »
    Hi All

    Hubby has just finished the 5 day course (used to be 10 days) that all MPGS do when they start. He said he really enjoyed it and it was very informative.

    One of the instructors taking the course told them all that from next month (August 2012) a private company has been put in charge of recruitment for the MPGS and their hoping for a turnaround of applications in no more than 4 weeks. They have obviously realised that applications are taking far to long to process.

    I'm not sure what this will mean for people who already have applications in the process, they may well be passed on to this company or the army might finish them off themselves, I'm not sure!!

    Fingers crossed this is a good thing and applications will be processed quicker.

    With regards to the previous post, you are allowed to apply to transfer from your current trade to the MPGS but you cant keep your rank. Everyone who starts in the MPGS has to start as a Private Level 4. If you were allowed to keep your rank alot of people would be transferring as the prospect of having all the benefits of being in the army and not going away anywhere for 6 months at a time would appeal to many soldiers.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mrskezzamrskezza Forumite
    27 posts
    What postings have you asked for? Check that there are postings available at this locations and if not either change your locations or ask for anywhere if its something you really want to do.

    I personally would take the new job see how you get on still keep your MPGS application rolling and if you get the call then at that stage you should think whether to go for it or stay with the new job. I wouldn't turn down jobs on a hope you might get a phone call in the next month as as Miss Kitty said you could be waiting 3 months or even a year just depends on the locations you have asked for and how many other people are on the waiting list for those camps.

    Good luck with your decision

    MissKitty wrote: »
    That's a really difficult decision to make about the new job offer. The problem with the MPGS is it could take months or possibly a year or more and at the end of the day there is no guarantee you will get offered a job, but on the other side if you do get offered a job you want to be able to start straight away.

    Maybe try weighing both jobs up, write down the pros and cons of each job and see what you come up with. Think about the future, where each job will take you and where you want to be in 10 years time, it might help.

    Hubby was given about 3 weeks notice of his start date. On his first week he was doing admin stuff then the second week he was on the 5 day course. He finished the course last Friday and started working nights on Saturday, their quiet short due to soldiers being drafted in for the Olympic Games.

    Have you thought about changing your preference of locations and accepting anywhere just to get you in? I know this is not always possible if you have commitments in a certain location, but single or army quarters are available or you can commute when your off. I know it's a pain but it gets you in and you can try for a transfer to another location when your settled.

    Let us know how you get on.
  • mrskezzamrskezza Forumite
    27 posts
    Slow is not the word! It would be nice if they decided to update the preadsheet as it's dating back to Jan.

    Miss Kitty mentioned that a private company is taking over the applications....... Do you know anything about this???
    montymud wrote: »
    It will be Glasgow holding up your application - they are sooooo slow, in fact they give slow a new meaning entirely! You seem to be staying pretty positive and thats great. The AFCO cant do anything at this point anyway so don't worry about their lack of interest. As soon as they receive the paperwork you'll be given the green light. Have you had a look at the list of MPGS sites? If not, have a little look so you know where to choose if you haven't done so already. They will provide you with a list of definite available locations. The only one I would say to avoid as I have knowledge of is Bordon camp. Although a lovely location IMO it is far too much up in the air at the moment due to the prospective move in the next couple of years. I really do wish you luck, keep us updated!
  • mrskezza wrote: »
    What postings have you asked for? Check that there are postings available at this locations and if not either change your locations or ask for anywhere if its something you really want to do.

    I personally would take the new job see how you get on still keep your MPGS application rolling and if you get the call then at that stage you should think whether to go for it or stay with the new job. I wouldn't turn down jobs on a hope you might get a phone call in the next month as as Miss Kitty said you could be waiting 3 months or even a year just depends on the locations you have asked for and how many other people are on the waiting list for those camps.

    Good luck with your decision


    Thanks for your advice. I feel that I would take the job anyway due to the application taking so long. But at the same time I do not want to mess them around by taking the job, then getting a phone call to say I am in the MPGS, I have to stay loyal to my employer I suppose.
    It has been almost 4 months now and I telephone or go into the AFCO every week.
    On my 3 locations I chose a location in the south, north and central England. I also stated that I would be willing to go anywhere but I had to make 3 choices during the interview. The senior recruiter said that being available to go anywhere would speed up my application!!...if only!
  • mrskezzamrskezza Forumite
    27 posts
    I wouldn't worry about being loyal I would just take the new job and if you enjoy it and then get that phone call from mpgs you can then decide at that point whether to hand your notice in or not. You need to be abit ruthless. I have asked for anywhere south west but I think if you put anywhere it might speed up your application and then once you are in you can look at transferring. It depends on your personal circumstances. I have been waiting since end of march and still nothing plus my afco are just a waste of time and have messed up my application twice but even though I am earning a decent wage I personally feel the mpgs is the better option for me and regret leaving the forces when I did. I don't really want to be posted away as I have children, I dont own any property so it's cheaper then renting on civi street and you get all the other benefits so best option for me really. I worked out that I would be £500 better off a month so worth the wait I suppose.
    insignia59 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. I feel that I would take the job anyway due to the application taking so long. But at the same time I do not want to mess them around by taking the job, then getting a phone call to say I am in the MPGS, I have to stay loyal to my employer I suppose.
    It has been almost 4 months now and I telephone or go into the AFCO every week.
    On my 3 locations I chose a location in the south, north and central England. I also stated that I would be willing to go anywhere but I had to make 3 choices during the interview. The senior recruiter said that being available to go anywhere would speed up my application!!...if only!
  • MissKittyMissKitty Forumite
    89 posts
    mrskezza wrote: »
    Hi Miss Kitty,

    This is really good news that your husband has got in. A wait worth waiting for i'm guessing.

    This is good news about the processing. You would thing that the private company would take over all the applications as if theres going to be a 4 week turnaround for new applications and not current ones then this could be deemed as unfair. Is there a possability your husband could find out more information?

    Has he asked about moving up the ranks, how quickly can this be done?

    To be honest even on the privates salary and with all the benefits you get it's better than a job on civi street.

    Look forward to your response.

    Hello mrskezza

    Yes it's definately good news about the recruitment side of the MPGS. Hopefully this is the solution and it will speed up peoples applications.

    Hubby doesn't know where to get any further information about this, if anything the AFCO's should know something about it. He was told by one of the instructors on the course.

    He hasn't asked about how quickly he can move up the ranks, he feels it's a bit cheeky when he has only been there 2 weeks. He was told that if he is prepared to move about and not stay in one place he will move up alot quicker. In the long run he is better to get as far as possible up the ranks as it will mean a better pension when he finishes, so I'm preparing myself for a bit more separation and commuting in the years to come!!

    I did hear something about a new rule that they have to be in their rank for a certain amount of time before they will be considered for promotion but I'm not sure if this is true or where to find details on it.

    At the moment I'm trying to find an up to date 2012 pay scale for the MPGS but can't seem to find one, does anyone know where to get hold of one? it's not the same pay scale as the regular army as the MPGS get paid slightly less due to not deploying.

    The admin office where he works doesn't have any info, he went in there the other day as he has been put on the wrong pay level, they want him to show them proof of what payscale he should be on as they don't have anything, great!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support