PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Egg-free/ Eggless cake recipes?

Options

Comments

• chrisico
    chrisico Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried the vegan sites for eggless cake recipes? One of my favourites is http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/. The carrot cake is particularly nice.

Chrisico
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    If memory serves me correctly I think that Thriftlady has some experience in eggless baking although I could be very wrong ;)

Have a look at this Syrup Sponge from her wartime rationing experiment. It's surprisingly tasty and very simple to make. It's post number 208 on page 11. It's a very addicting read is the thread though so be prepared for a long sit down when you do it :D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly I think that Thriftlady has some experience in eggless baking although I could be very wrong ;)

Have a look at this Syrup Sponge from her wartime rationing experiment. It's surprisingly tasty and very simple to make. It's post number 208 on page 11. It's a very addicting read is the thread though so be prepared for a long sit down when you do it :D
    Yes I do have experience with eggless baking. I posted the eggless chocolate bun recipe. No, they aren't the most luscious of cakes but it was a wartime recipe and you had to make do then lol.

Like Woofles my dd can now tolerate eggs in things but not in their 'neat' state so with relief I've ditched the eggless recipes.

Melie I think if you are a cake fan then an eggless cake is never going to quite cut it. Would something like a chocolate biscuit cake (crushed biscuits, melted choc, butter, syrup, dried fruit-refrigerated) do the trick?
  • melie3
    melie3 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Yes I do have experience with eggless baking. I posted the eggless chocolate bun recipe. No, they aren't the most luscious of cakes but it was a wartime recipe and you had to make do then lol.

Like Woofles my dd can now tolerate eggs in things but not in their 'neat' state so with relief I've ditched the eggless recipes.

Melie I think if you are a cake fan then an eggless cake is never going to quite cut it. Would something like a chocolate biscuit cake (crushed biscuits, melted choc, butter, syrup, dried fruit-refrigerated) do the trick?
    hi thriftlady
    yeah i see your recipe earlier this morn, and as i had already tried a plain cake, and one with a banana, i thought id try yours. im spoilt i know, i didnt have any syrup, and added a bit more sugar. they look lovely, my normal cakes dont rise like these choccy ones lol.. so i was very happy!!, but trying to eat it, it was making me feel i could choke, so couldnt eat it any further.
    do you have a choc biscult recipe? do you think it might be able to take icing once fridged?? the person im making it for wants a birthday cake, im just thinking of yummy edible ways to make something. they are quite liking a marshmallow/chocolate rice crispie thing. what about a cake mix???? any of them work well without egg?
  • SallyForth_2
    Options
    How about a teabread with plenty of dried fruit and spices and icing on top.

I would have thought marshmallow would contain eggwhites.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    How about having a look at Pimp That Snack? It was on the board yesterday and I was drooling :D They basically take snacks and make them huge - there was a doughnut that would have easily fed 8 people. This is the thread on here. HTH
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    melie3 wrote: »
    any ideas people?? am i being too fussy?? i make cakes every week, and im feeling defeated on this one

You could try Amazing Cake - it's delicious, and is also sugar and fat free :T

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to give you more ideas.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    I know that you are looking at cake receipes but the other day I made chocolate biscuits from the www.be-ro.co.uk website and they are lovely. No eggs in them its self raising flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder,margarine and milk. They are nice themselves without the icing, as we made them as bat biscuits. Good luck.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My little granddaughter can't eat any sort of an egg and we've been making this for birthdays etc. We're a bit tired of it but it is a lovely cake and properly 'cakey' ! If you iced it with a carrot cake-type topping it would be really nice. It's from a Mary Berry book I think but not sure which as this is how My DD gave me the recipe: (you don't taste the chocolate)

- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored & thickly sliced
    - 100g butter, softened
    - 100 g light muscovado sugar
    - 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
    - 175g self raising flour
    - 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    - half teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    - half teaspoon ground cinnamon
    - 75g raisins
    - icing sugar for dusting

Oven: 160C/ 325F/ Gas Mark 3
    Tin: deep round loose bottomed 18cm (7in) cake tin

1. Grease and line tin, preheat oven
    2. Cook apple slices gently in a pan with a small amount of water until broken down a little but not puree
    3. Beat together butter and sugar. Mix warm apple and bicarb of soda (they froth up) and add to the butter and sugar. Stir to mix.
    3. Sift flour, cooca, nutmeg & cinnamon into the mixture, add raisings and fold in.
    4. Turn into cake tin and level
    5. Bake in oven for 50 mins- 1 hour until cake is golden brown & springy. Allow to cool in tin for 10 mins, turn out & leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
  • lightisfading
    Options
    It's a book you have to buy unfortunatly, rather than an online recipe, but this book has great reviews. Just thought it might be worth mentioning for people who want to bake without eggs/dairy regularly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256734470&sr=8-1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport