PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Egg-free/ Eggless cake recipes?

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have plain yogurt? It works very well as egg replacement, as does mashed banana...

Make the rest of the cake as normal, and replace each egg with a 1/4 cup of yogurt or half a mashed banana.

Bear in mind that with banana you'll get the flavour.

If you have them, you can also use liquidized silken tofu (again, 1/4 cup per egg) or flax seeds (1 tblsp ground flax seeds beaten with 3 tblsp water till the texture is gelatinous), but again, the latter has a distinctive flavour.

Good luck!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lilibeth wrote: »
    Thanks Penny you're a gem as always :) but I've just scanned that and the only sponge recipes on there need soy milk or chocolate or other stuff I don't have.
    I've tried using powdered skimmed cows milk instead of soy before and it never works in cakes.

Sorry - I didn't read the whole thread :p Now, I'm sure you can use vinegar and bicarbonate instead of eggs (this is a fruit cake recipe). I'll have a trawl, and I'm sure thriftlady will be here as soon as she sees the thread title :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lilibeth
    lilibeth Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Do you have plain yogurt? It works very well as egg replacement, as does mashed banana...

Make the rest of the cake as normal, and replace each egg with a 1/4 cup of yogurt or half a mashed banana.

Bear in mind that with banana you'll get the flavour.

If you have them, you can also use liquidized silken tofu (again, 1/4 cup per egg) or flax seeds (1 tblsp ground flax seeds beaten with 3 tblsp water till the texture is gelatinous), but again, the latter has a distinctive flavour.

Good luck!
    No yoghurt
    No banana
    No Tofu
    No Flax seeds

Sorry :( But thanks for trying to help :)

@Penny
    I officially love you :D
    *Make every day Caturday*
  • fernliebee
    fernliebee Posts: 1,803 Forumite
    Options
    I have always made vegan cakes, as my mum was vegan for years and she taught me how to bake, and of course she needed to taste test them :D

I use 4 oz sugar,

4 oz butter (vegan marg in my case)

2 teaspoons of vinegar,

8 oz self raising flour,

few teaspoons of baking powder

and usually some sort of vegan milk to form the right consistency, however I only use this to make the mix lighter and if you only need egg free could you not use standard milk, or pre mixed powdered milk? It's just to make the mixture a bit runnier.

I also usually add 2 oz of cocoa powder as I love choc cake, but have made sponge before.

Now I do find that most of the cakes I make don't rise as much as ordinary dairy ones, and tend to be a bit more dense, but if you beat it for ages they come out a bit fluffier and they taste just as good.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @Penny
    I officially love you :D

:kisses3: Being nice really does get you further ;)This recipe any good :confused: I'm sure it would work in an oven too.

It's a shame you don't want a fruit cake, as I have a cracking eggless recipe :o

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Lilibeth,

If you make this chocolate bun recipe in a cake tin rather than bun tins and replace the cocoa with the same amount of flour you should get a pretty good eggless sponge-type cake. Just chuck in some coconut for the other one. Or you could try the Vinegar Cake Penny posted and leave out the fruit, although it might be a bit flat.

Fortunately my dd can now tolerate eggs baked in cakes or biscuits, so my egg-free baking skills are becoming a bit rusty.
  • lilibeth
    lilibeth Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Hi Lilibeth,

If you make this chocolate bun recipe in a cake tin rather than bun tins and replace the cocoa with the same amount of flour you should get a pretty good eggless sponge-type cake. Just chuck in some coconut for the other one. Or you could try the Vinegar Cake Penny posted and leave out the fruit, although it might be a bit flat.

Fortunately my dd can now tolerate eggs baked in cakes or biscuits, so my egg-free baking skills are becoming a bit rusty.
    I just wanted to pop back in to say thank you and post an update.
    I used your recipe thriftlady, but I stuffed up some how the bicarb didn't fizz when I put it in the H²O and it didn't rise. I don't understand why. The H²O was out of the kettle could it have been too hot would that affect it?
    *Make every day Caturday*
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just wanted to pop back in to say thank you and post an update.
    I used your recipe thriftlady, but I stuffed up some how the bicarb didn't fizz when I put it in the H²O and it didn't rise. I don't understand why. The H²O was out of the kettle could it have been too hot would that affect it?
    Eggless cakes don't rise as much as eggy ones I'm afraid. When I made them I always regarded them very much as a compromise.

Maybe your bicarb was a bit old, it does lose its oomph after time.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A foolproof recipe I use (from the Vegan family house website) is:-

1 1/2 cups SR flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 - 1/3 cup cocoa powder (or replace this with the same amount of flour if you don't want chocolate cake)

Sift the dry ingredients together

In a jug mix:-

1/2 cup soya milk (or use your made-up powdered milk, or even just water)
    1/2 cup orange juice (or again milk/water and just a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice - you need the acid from one of these to make the baking powder work)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla essence (or essence of your choice)

(I have adjusted the quantities of each of the liquids before now using less oil to make it less calorific and just made up the liquid with one of the others and it works fine)

Whisk the liquid together, then mix thoroughly into your dry ingredients to make a soft dropping consistency - sometimes I add a bit more liquid (I know that you are supposed to be a bit a**l about baking recipes otherwise they don't work, but I find this one works fine even when I mess about with it!)

Pour into your lined cake tin (or put into round about 24 small cake cases or 12 large ones) and bake for about 15 minutes for little cakes, and about 25 or so (can't remember the exact amount, sorry!) for a big cake. This is a lovely light sponge - actually I think it's lighter than an eggy sponge and a lot less hassle (creaming, carefully putting in your eggs and trying not to let it 'split' etc). I just noticed you also have coconut - I reckon it would make a lovely coconut cake if you added some of that in too. If I'm making chocolate buns I usually chuck in about 4oz of chopped chocolate too.
  • fletty
    fletty Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible to make a nice eggless sponge my friend is making cup cakes for a party but has found out the host is alergic to eggs. we've tried using vegan egg substiute but the mix was heavy and raw tasting - yuck was the description of my 3 year old. :confused:
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport