PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Egg-free/ Eggless cake recipes?

Comments

• Here :D
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1665847&postcount=338

It isn't 'my' recipe though. There are many versions of this type of pudding around.
  • Hello,

It's my little nephew's first birthday in a couple of months and his mother would like him to have a birthday cake, even though he won't know what's going on. He's allergic to eggs and dairy, and I think kids under 3 years old aren't supposed to eat nuts. He can have soya milk and spread though. Can anyone recommend a recipe? I'd be really grateful.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped! Combo Breaker
    Try this, i make it for my dd who is allergic to eggs and nuts. I use milk but I am sure it would work with soya milk or fruit juice instead of cow's milk.

Grease and line an 8 inch cake tin.

Sift into a bowl
    9 oz plain flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    ½
    tsp salt
    3-4 oz sugar

Mix in another bowl
    10 fl oz milk ( or soya milk or fruit juice)
    3 fl oz vegetable oil

Add liquids to dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Don't overmix -this is basically a muffin recipe which I make as a cake, so like muffins you mustn't overmix, and don't be tempted to use electric beaters ;)

Pour into tin and bake at 200C for 30-40 mins or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.

Options
    Add dried fruit, cherries, chocolate chips (a bar of Kinnerton dairy-free from Waitrose chopped up), vanilla, lemon juice can replace some of the liquid plus some lemon rind, blueberries, other soft fruit, replace some of the flour with cocoa.

Make a glace icing or a buttercream using soya marge in place of butter, or melt the aforementioned chocolate over the cake. Or, do what I did this weekend and mix 4 oz sugar with the juice of a lemon, stab cake all over with a skewer and pour on -lemon drizzle cake, went down a storm.

If you don't like any of that try googling vegan cake recipes ;)
  • bellsbells
    bellsbells Posts: 743 Forumite
    You can make a wonderful 'butter' chocolate icing by mixing icing sugar, coco powder and stork margarine together. Replacing butter and eggs with oil and soya works fine for most cake recipes.

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

• super41
    super41 Posts: 245 Forumite
    This is a very tasty choc cake which I used to make for my DD who was egg & dairy allergic (grown out of now she's 5).

Dairy free chocolate cake

2oz sunflower oil or PURE margerine
    2oz golden syrup
    8 fl oz soya or rice milk
    6 oz plain flour
    1 oz cocoa
    2 oz sugar
    1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon water

1. Grease two 7 inch sandwich tins

2. Melt the oil/margarine and syrup in the soya/rice milk in a saucepan over moderate heat. Mix well and cool.

3. Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.

4. Pour in the cooled liquid and beat well.

5. Add the vinegar and water and beat again.

6. Pour the mixture into the sandwich tins.

7. Cook in a preheated oven at 220 deg cent/425 deg far/Gas Mark7 for 15-20 minutes.

8. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire tray.

9. Sandwich together with raspberry jam or butter icing made with PURE marg.

You can also spread butter icing on top (like choc fudge cake - very sickly!) Alternatively you can use the mixture to make buns.
  • Hi,

My daugher is also alergic to dairy and eggs, I got his book which is great for cakes and buiscuits:

http://www.dairyfreecakerecipes.co.uk/

They also have a recipe to download for free.

Enjoy!
  • lightisfading
    lightisfading Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This lot might be worth a nosey through, all vegan so no eggs or dairy to be found :)

http://community.livejournal.com/vegancooking/tag/desserts-cakes
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Try this, i make it for my dd who is allergic to eggs and nuts. I use milk but I am sure it would work with soya milk or fruit juice instead of cow's milk.

Grease and line an 8 inch cake tin.

Sift into a bowl
    9 oz plain flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    ½tsp salt
    3-4 oz sugar

Mix in another bowl
    10 fl oz milk ( or soya milk or fruit juice)
    3 fl oz vegetable oil

Add liquids to dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Don't overmix -this is basically a muffin recipe which I make as a cake, so like muffins you mustn't overmix, and don't be tempted to use electric beaters ;)

Pour into tin and bake at 200C for 30-40 mins or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.

Options
    Add dried fruit, cherries, chocolate chips (a bar of Kinnerton dairy-free from Waitrose chopped up), vanilla, lemon juice can replace some of the liquid plus some lemon rind, blueberries, other soft fruit, replace some of the flour with cocoa.

Make a glace icing or a buttercream using soya marge in place of butter, or melt the aforementioned chocolate over the cake. Or, do what I did this weekend and mix 4 oz sugar with the juice of a lemon, stab cake all over with a skewer and pour on -lemon drizzle cake, went down a storm.

If you don't like any of that try googling vegan cake recipes ;)

I love this my mums allergic to eggs so i may give this one ago
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My granddaughter is being christened next week and her Mum has organised a lovely cake which we will eat as pud after special christening lunch. But the poor little one is highly allergic to egg. I want to make a tiny cake just for her, and have trawled the web for eggless cake recipes (of which there are quite a lot) but I just want to make a tiny one in a baked bean tin and not an ordinary size one which I would then carve into a small one and ice, which seems wasteful. Has anyone got a recipe for a tiny egless baked-bean-can size cake I could do ? :confused:
  • kb36
    kb36 Posts: 440 Forumite
    My daughter had the same problems although they are diminishing (now aged 8). She would vomit, lips would swell and become spotty and itchy..... I used to do a fairy cake recipe without adding the egg(s) and instead adding a bit more milk (1 tbspn) and a pinch of baking powder - this seemed to do the trick and still tasted great! You could make up less mixture if you are just doing one cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.