PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Egg-free/ Eggless cake recipes?

Options

Comments

• louisewh123
    louisewh123 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    [STRIKE]Debt 01.01.2010 = £70,000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 01.02.2011 = £53,495 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 05.05.2011 = £51,959 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Debt 01/08/2011 = £49,425 [/STRIKE]Debt 05/09/2011 = £45,610 :j
  • fletty
    fletty Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    thanks those are great will pass them on x :beer:
    :beer:
  • tryingtoruletheworld
    Options
    Hi

I have a carrot cake recipe which tastes fab, and a couple of others you could try:

Carrot Cake

Cake:
    225 g wholemeal flour; 225g grated carrot; 100g margarine/butter; 100g brown sugar;2 teaspoons cinnamon;
    4 tablespoons clear honey; 1 tablespoon lemon juice; 1.5 teaspoons baking powder;

Topping:
    25 g margarine/butter; 50g cream cheese; 100g icing sugar; 0.5 teaspoon vanilla essence
    Method:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf tin and line bottom with greaseproof paper. Melt butter, honey and sugar together and add to other ingredients in a large bowl. Put in tin and bake for 1 hour at 350F (175C gas mark 4).
    Mix topping ingredients together and spread on the cake when it is cool.

Vanilla Sponge Cake

Cake
    7 oz (200g) self raising flour
    3 level tsp baking powder
    4 oz (115g) sugar
    4 1/2 fl oz (125 ml) vegetable oil
    11 1/2 fl oz (325 ml) cold water
    2 tsp vanilla essence

Filling
    3 oz (85g) margarine
    6 oz (170g) icing sugar
    1 tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
    2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins.
    3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool.
    4. Make the filling by mashing all the filling ingredients together.
    5. Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together and the rest to decorate the top.
    6. Alternatively sandwich together with jam and dust the top with icing

Banana Chocolate Cake

6 1/2 oz (185g) plain flour
    1 1/2 oz (45g) cocoa
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    5 oz (140g) sugar
    2 tbsp soya flour
    1/4 pint (140 ml) vegetable oil
    1/4 pint (140 ml) water
    2 very ripe bananas, mashed (6oz/170g flesh)

1. Preheat oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
    2. Beat all the ingredients together and place in a 7 inch round cake tin, greased and floured.
    3. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the pre-heated oven.

HTH

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi fletty,

There's an earlier thread with some eggless recipes that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep the recipes together.

Pink
  • Make_do_and_mend
    Options
    "Giggle Cake"

Has anyone ever heard of this? My mum used to make an eggless cake - she used to melt the ingredients on the hob, I think she used mixed spice and sultanas but that is all I know.
    I think that she might have used bicarbonate of soda too.

She then used to put it into a tray a couple of inches deep (maybe (6 by 8 inch) and then cooked it in the oven.

Apparently it was called " Giggle Cake" because it was thought to be fun to make a cake without eggs during the war. I really wish I had the recipe or something similar.

Can anyone help?
  • melie3
    melie3 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    hi, ive been looking thru the recipes on here, ive tried a banana recipe without eggs, which just was a gooey sticky and was awful. i tried the wartime chocolate bun mix, and they look great, nice an risen, cakey inside, but are rather bland, not sweet enough or chocolatey, and turn to a gluey stodge soaking up saliva, couldnt actually swallow it!!
    im not allergic myself, its for someone, but im struggling to get something to work. i tried egg replacer, and altho it rose well in oven they just sank completely in middle, and were very chewy on the top....
    any ideas people?? am i being too fussy?? i make cakes every week, and im feeling defeated on this one
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hi

my hens have reduced their output with nights getting darker so i have to limit the eggs i use for baking during the winter

i tend to make hobnobs and flapjacks

caramel squares , rockyroad , tiffin, mince pies and other fruit pies for baking wihtout eggs but they arent "cake " like pieces if that what you are needing
  • melie3
    Options
    hi

my hens have reduced their output with nights getting darker so i have to limit the eggs i use for baking during the winter

i tend to make hobnobs and flapjacks

caramel squares , rockyroad , tiffin, mince pies and other fruit pies for baking wihtout eggs but they arent "cake " like pieces if that what you are needing
    hi
    yeah im after a cake really, as they want it iced. i had an idea of a mars bar cake, with rice crispies etc, but then found mars have egg white in them. just wondeing if i can use golden syrup and melted chocolate to give it a chewy texture maybe??......the person im making for said she had tried a cake mix which you just add water to, ive emailed her as i fear it has powdered egg instead in it....!
  • Woofles
    Woofles Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick question is your friend completely allergic to eggs. I ask because I'm allergic to raw and partially cooked egg, no soft boiled egg and soldiers for me :cry:, I'm fine if they are fully cooked, so baking is okay, scrambled if done a little longer than would be acceptable to Delia etc.

Just a passing thought.
    Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • melie3
    Options
    Woofles wrote: »
    Just a quick question is your friend completely allergic to eggs. I ask because I'm allergic to raw and partially cooked egg, no soft boiled egg and soldiers for me :cry:, I'm fine if they are fully cooked, so baking is okay, scrambled if done a little longer than would be acceptable to Delia etc.

Just a passing thought.

she cant have cake, because of the eggs. im trying to persuade marshmallows with choc and rice crispies, and try to cover in rolling icing lol.. overload on sugar tho lol... my cakes are just not working compared to my egg cakes, i may be being fussy, but having never tasted an eggless sponge, i have no real comparision. the choc ones look fab i made this morn, but they are weird to eat just really go like a glue, not sure if there is too much flour in the mix. it had 8 oz SR, 3 oz butter, 3 oz sugar, 1 oz cocoa,7.5 floz hot water and bicarb...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure