Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
698 replies 88K views

Replies

• I try my best to only buy things when they are on special offer or reduced, the only exception to this is usually bread and milk as they don't really have offers on them. I'm doing quite well with it!

Yesterday I went to M&S with my sister in law (I NEVER buy food in M&S normally, im a Tesco girl), but I got all reduced items: Ready to roast lamb joint, ready to roast BBQ pork joint, 3 for £10 meats, veg etc, before reductions it was £32 I think, they my SIL had a £5 off £25 spend, then 20% staff discount and the yellow reduction stickers it came to £18.73! my freezer and fridge are well stocked up!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
  • ClowanceClowance Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭

Milk I agree with but bread will be reduced at the end of the day, in my tesco which is 24 hours its about 9pm when it goes down to 10p or less. I think times vary but try a late visit one day, if seen I stock the freezer with a weeks worth. HTH
    :j Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!:j
  • victoryvictory Forumite
    16.2K posts
    I try my best to only buy things when they are on special offer or reduced, the only exception to this is usually bread and milk as they don't really have offers on them. I'm doing quite well with it!

Our Morries always has milk/yogs/fromage frais/cream/dairy products/activia reduced to silly prices by the end ofthe day and the breadi s always reduced to loaf's for anything from 10p up so I always wait and pop some in the freezer, yesterdays was a bit expensive at the price of 35p but hey bought it anyway:rotfl::D
    Misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • victoryvictory Forumite
    16.2K posts
    giley what would you have done with the morries yellow stickers yesterday? Loads of packets of goats cheese, lots of pots of onken yogs some tofu and some sort of fruitcake that looked as if it was in a drum? Left it all as do not eat any of it and could not combine it to anything but did think of how to:D
    Misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • edited 8 January 2012 at 3:33PM
    gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    edited 8 January 2012 at 3:33PM
    victory wrote: »
    giley what would you have done with the morries yellow stickers yesterday? Loads of packets of goats cheese, lots of pots of onken yogs some tofu and some sort of fruitcake that looked as if it was in a drum? Left it all as do not eat any of it and could not combine it to anything but did think of how to:D

Hi victory

Goats cheese a good one.personally would either have

added to sandwich/salad as weekday lunch mon/or tue
    or maybe made some pastry or bgrought some readymade puff pastry and done a sort of goats cheese and tomato puff slice.
    Or if you have a sandwich toaster got nice roll and made a pannini with serving of posh crisps to side. Goats cheese very popular in trency sandwich shops like pret/costa.

Yogurts tricky one would use yougurts within 48hours of use by date.
    maybe find a recipie that dessert that needs yogurt and that can be frozen? if you have kids or people in house who taked packed lunches poundstetcher do the mini pots with kids as use for baby 6 for £1.
    Divide the yogurt into small pots and put in packed lunches?
    my kids like yogurts for brekkie baby has least 2pots a day.
    they also would have yogurts as a healthy snack or dessert.

To make it a special dessert add chopped fresh fruit with it, maybe mashed up digestive biscuit for crumbs to give it some crunch,total decadance crumbles choc flake almost like a homemade fruit corner.

You could add to fruit and make a smoothie?
    or find a recipie on how to freeze yogurt ot transform it into homemade icecream as in sw they say you can make low cal icecream from mullerlights so must be able to be done!

Im assuming the onken is the usual big tubs 500ml or 1litre tubs?
    would probably get through 2 in 48hours used in ways mentioned above.

Fruitcake is it xmas one? does it contain alchol?
    im sure it be ok within week or 2 of date.
    again divide up for packed lunch daily.
    Now im no expert would have to go oldstylke that but im sure theres probably a recipie that uses fruitcake or way to make it last longer.

Im bit hopeless with cakes but hope to get better this year im fine with savoury just baking perplexes me I blame my crap oven.

when you read about people making xmas cake.

its basically a fruitcake and they feed the cake booze over months up to xmas asume this preserves the cake and stops it getting dry then they ice it maybe that would work with shop brought fruitcake?
    be ideal if you had event planned like party.

I have 3kids and will be doing 3parties
    plus family visit at easter.

I would struggle with fruitcake though as only hubby would eat it possibly toddler she would eat anything.

but maybe in nice tin with someone who has a birthday soon.
    some people take shop brought cakes to school cake sale happens once a month.

I might be completly mad but think you can freeze cake? maybe freeze and wrap in slices and defrost as and when needed.

Tofu-unsure if this can be frozen raw but worked into a cooked meal and then frozen could work. tufu basically a meat substitute like quron so guess could do like for like dishes like tofu curry.tofu burgers.

But if you cant make it work for you or you dont really like it

DONT BUY IT! as it would go to waste then you feel bad.

Yesterday got few bargains from local spar again.

12pack kingsmill white rolls-50p brought 2
    kingsmill muffins 4pk 48p

2packs richmond sausages 66p=brought 2
    sliced chicken 33p a pack-brought 2

2packs butter £1 on offer.
    end of line xmas choc half price=treat for the kids.

not most exiting haul I grant you spent £13 on few bits sure something I forgot?

anyway

the muffins last night cut in half toasted and then put tomato puree, grated cheese and cherry tomatos on top in micro-could be done in grill and girls had mini pizzas worked out at 12p per head.

then last 2sliced toasted with butter for morning snack.

24rolls-another 2weeks worth packed lunches now have 36rolls in freezer.

chicken we had yestreday for tea and today for lunch
    1more pack left will be used in packed lunches tommorow as it went out sat end of monday my cut off on using it.

1pack sausages in freezer-will make sausage casserole tonight for tea
    1pack in freezer for next weeks sausage casserole.

if you have big freezer reduced sausages and burgers start looking now and freeze they be ok in freezer up to 6months. same with bread rolls.
    as typicxal bristish weather heatwaves come without warning and shops sell out so bbq meats and rolls always handy in summer months.
    even in summer months can get bargain in fresh bbq meat section on a rainy day!

I also went to lids bkept to my essentials we need list.
    brought 72pack weetabix as on offer think £3 49 last 2-3weeks when you see the deals sometimes best to buy in bulk so sadly dident as was bit skint until payday fri so just brought what was needed.

yesterday had good day as made some choc fairy cakes with on offer butter and other stuff I had.

Also friday we had a roast of reduced free range chicken
    i kept the carcass covered in fridge
    boiled it up yesterday with inion, salt and pepper, value herbs
    then dranbined picked out some chicken
    topped up with chicken oxo more hebs salt and pepper also added whole unchopped chilli to add some heat and simmered.
    made a chicken and potato soup more of a broth fab with reduced rolls.

I can make a chicken last 3meals that way

Today i had reduced fish for lunch.

I would say least one thing we eatr every day is reduced.
    did basic storecupboard shop in lidls which allows me some more meal options with reduced stuff in freezer.

brought oven chips frozen-goes with reduced fish in freezer
    brought dried pasta-great goes with reduced mince and reduced garlic bread in freezer.

need to stocktake again

meal plan this week
    all out reduced ham so might have to do tinned tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches this week.

need to do shopping list for next week going to try morrisions but cant go late at night as kiddies in bed whats it like sat afternoon/early evening?

will check co-op spar for reductions
    do another lidls shop and farmfoods as have money off vouchers
    look at aldi super six as hubby works next door to them.

sometimes being inventive and letting whats reduced decide your meals can be fun and avoids getting stuck in a rut.

remember watching programme last year on chef who recycled wasted food into gourmet meals.

bit like cave man times they eat what they hunted and could catch.
    I sort of have that hunter /gather instinct in supermarlet these days as foods rising even value so shoping around/reduced only way to ensure we get everything we need, allows family little treats and us highre quality welfare meat and poultry.

if you checkout grocery challange at top theres recipes for everything.
    so on mse search or even google search goats cheese and lots recipies would come up.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • LooterLooter Forumite
    131 posts
    We should enjoy these yellow stickers whilst we can, I've heard about people peeling these off loaves reduced to 26p and sticking them on legs of lamb and buying them at the self serve checkout! I also saw someone buying one of those salads from the salad bar at the self checkout, they had a mountain of food in the container and the lid wouldn't even close!
  • LooterLooter Forumite
    131 posts
    Just to clarify I meant we should enjoy the stickers whilst we can before they stop them because of these fraudsters!
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Don't they have a member of staff at the self serve checkouts to look for such things?
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • nuttywomannuttywoman Forumite
    2.2K posts
    All the meat in my freezer is knocked down price, been doing this for a while as well .
  • LooterLooter Forumite
    131 posts
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Don't they have a member of staff at the self serve checkouts to look for such things?

I think they just check you're not just putting things into the shopping bag, besides, a Saturday girl earning minimum wage isn't really interested it seems.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support