Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
698 replies 87.9K views

Replies

• lizzywiglizzywig Forumite
    289 posts
    I can never get the yellow stickers in the supermarkets, they don't seem to have them. They have a reduced section which is hit or miss and is normally full of ready meals and a few ods and ends. I think they reduce down again towards the end of the day but I can never get there around that time. I did go on a Saturday evening once not that long ago and picked up loads of chicken drumsticks, 4 steaks and 4 burgers for 64p! It excited me so much that I can't stop telling people, I think I need to get a life!! Seriously though I think it's fantastic that there are people out there who 1) make sure that no food goes to waste and 2) will not allow themselves to be ripped off by the conglomerates and will spend their money on things that really matter.
    Don't Throw Food Away Challenge January 2012 - £0.17 / £10
    Grocery Challenge 16th Jan - 19th Feb 2012 - £254.72/£200 (Ooops very bad start)
    Grocery Challenge 20th Feb - 8th March 2012 - £0/£200
  • lizzywig have you tried Sunday afternoon an hour before closing?
  • JunierJunier Forumite
    306 posts
    victory wrote: »

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.

Why buy toms at 50p when u can get a cheaper brand and save even more, after all toms are toms!:j
  • jembjemb Forumite
    910 posts
    Aldi's version of cherios are better than the originals!
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • Hmmm...Id love to...but I am on a self imposed Supermarket ban for the year (anything I cant find cheap enough, I either have to learn to deal without or learn to make (shocker!)
  • pinksk8pinksk8 Forumite
    217 posts
    Hmmm...Id love to...but I am on a self imposed Supermarket ban for the year (anything I cant find cheap enough, I either have to learn to deal without or learn to make (shocker!)

Love This!

I make huge pots of stew/pasta sauce when i can get stuff cheap or if its going off then i freeze, all my self grown veg picked in oct in currently in the freezer already cooked. I honestly believe its almost as quick to heat up a pre made sauce and a handful of pasta as it is to make an expensive ready meal.
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • Ben84Ben84 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure this would work for me, nor am I convinced the reduced items are always the best value for money option anyway. Depends on the item and how much you like it.

I always buy long lasting items like toothpaste and coffee on offer, so I do already save a lot of money with BOGOF each year. I also when I go to the supermarket stop by the reduced counters and see what I find. Bread I usually buy reduced and sometimes other things. It's also well worth stopping by the market at the end of the day to pick up any remaining fruit and vegetables at very low prices, huge bags of bananas for £1 and things.

So, I use both BOGOF and reduced a fair bit without spending too much time or effort, just by stocking up on long lasting stuff when I see a good offer, making sure to check the reduced counters when I'm there and if I'm near somewhere at a time of day I know they discount things I usually take a look. It's worth doing, but having to buy only reduced and stuff on offer would cost me too much time I think.
  • kittywight wrote: »
    that is just awesome :) go you! :T:T

this sounds like a great challenge ... doubt i would do it as a only option, but im defenitly intrested in going to the reduced sections more often.. im going to hit up morrisons this sunday, hdquite a few bargains there last week.

can i just ask, are you only buyin the whoopsies/yellow reduced sticker items ... or are you buying bogof's and half prices deals??

xx

All the items in the freezer at the moment are yellow sticker/whoopsies. If there is something on half price/bogof that we will use i will stock up on it.
  • pinksk8 wrote: »
    Love This!

I make huge pots of stew/pasta sauce when i can get stuff cheap or if its going off then i freeze, all my self grown veg picked in oct in currently in the freezer already cooked. I honestly believe its almost as quick to heat up a pre made sauce and a handful of pasta as it is to make an expensive ready meal.

thanks...I figure that most of the "offers" in most of the supermarkets are not really offers, they just inflate the prices a bit before hand. I already buy my meat and fish from independent fishmonger and butcher, I have been watching Rosspa and Approved foods for my tins/jars etc, I just need to locate a good green grocer ( we have one in the next towns...but most of their items are ropey at best)

I am starting the veg patch this year, have got a few fruit trees on the go, and I will be having Chooks in the spring. I just need to fine tune my bread making.

Will be very refreshing...only slight issue...I work at Tesco!:o
  • pinksk8pinksk8 Forumite
    217 posts
    Great, i have an allotment, i think its definitely the way to go! It also tastes a million times better than s/market fruit and veg. x
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support