PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ragz wrote: »
    I would say that's your blood sugar. Weetabix and rolls are high in carbs, cause spikes in blood sugar, then insulin, then drop in blood sugar causing extreme hunger, irritability etc. If you'd had more protein and fat you'd be more satisfied for longer and probably eat less overall. Peas and bananas may sound like a healthy snack but they have a lot of sugar so they won't keep you full they will make you feel hungry quite soon too. Nuts, cheese, peanut butter etc have more protein/fat and would keep you full longer.

Of course a lot of it is habit too, if you are used to eating more and simply 'being on a diet' tends to make us think of food a LOT more. But keeping your blood sugar stable makes it all a LOT easier. Since I have been cutting back on carbs and cutting out sugar as much as I can I find the compulsive 'I MUST eat' feelings have gone.

I think there loads of truth in this- but I am reading the same book as you and RoseWood :rotfl:

What are you having as a low carb breakfast? Other than eggs i cant think of anything :o
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi to all the newcomers!

Busy site visit today, so ate less, and got lots of clambering about exercise.

B: Seeded bread toast with LF creme cheese
    L: Tuna sandwich with onion
    D: about to have a vegetable and aduki bean bake
    S: 3 fruit slices and probably 3 truffles shortly

I'm on day 1 of detox, so must watch the bad stuff!
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ragz (rosewood and savessummore)

I think you may be right - it's not 'hunger' so much as 'nauseau' (sp?)....

So today I had erm, ham and rolls for breakfast and cheese on ryvita for lunch - and was fine until dinner.

At which point I abandoned all restraint and entered a feeding frenzy for one because I'd cooked roast pork dinner which is my favourite.
    However I can confirm that I reach that 'if I eat another squeak I'll be sick because currently I can't breathe' point sooner now. So it must be working :)

And what's more I refuse to be guilty about it. There's really no hope for me.

However, cheese (which was suggested twice to me) does seem to keep the hunger at bay.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got fed up of going to use Boots scales,50p a time and they wobble about all over the place, but most times out of order so treated myself to Weight watchers scales. I have lost 7lbs since last month ONLY lol 2.1/2
    stones to go now. Still I think maybe I can do this by Xmas, would be a great present for myself I think.
    Slimming World at target
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2012 at 9:03PM
    Options

What are you having as a low carb breakfast? Other than eggs i cant think of anything :o

Peanut butter! Often scrambled eggs and bacon, or an omelette but today we had no eggs so I had 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter and that kept me full until lunchtime :rotfl:

Greek yogurt is good, with nuts or seeds instead of fruit. (I had been having tinned peaches but they were too high sugar for me at the moment). Berries aren't too bad for sugar content, but the kids tend to eat them all!

I definitely need more inspiration on the breakfast front, but I am usually rushing about making breakfasts for DH and 3 little ones so a spoonful or two of the brown stuff works quite well! I tend to have a milky coffee, half full fat milk half strong filter coffee and that's quite filling as it has fat and some protein. I notice the difference if I just have tea.

The site I linked to the other day has some breakfast recipes (admittedly mostly with eggs!), the bacon wrapped scotch eggs look GOOD ;)

Today
    Breakfast - the brown stuff
    Lunch - Bolognese sauce with feta cheese crumbled on it.
    Snack - Greek yogurt
    Dinner - Cauliflower cheese (cheese sauce made with bacon, brie, Camembert and cheddar but no flour!)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    * 4 chocolate truffles
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Today has been a fairly good day. Ihad -
    B - M&S berry cereal, soya milk, half tsp honey - I'm getting better :)
    Tea at work
    L -tomato & lentil soup, brown bread, 2 finger Kit Kat :o (100 cals)
    Tea
    D - L/O Sunday dinner - mince, potatoes, carrots & peas, cabbage, and a small Y Pud. Solero lolly, tea.
    Supper will be a small pot of yogurt

Sometimes I have porridge for breakfast with peanut butter mixed in. It sounds revolting, but it really is yummy! It fills me up for AGES. I use muesli base instead of porridge oats, as it's a lot chewier. I can't stand the sloppy type of ready mix porridge!
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    * 4 chocolate truffles

Yum, yes, please:rotfl:

Well, yesterday was a good start to my campaign. I didn't eat anything that wasn't on my meal plan and portion sizes were fine for a change.

My meals at the moment are heavily dictated by what I find in the freezer to use up, as I'm desperately working towards clearing it. So, not necessarily as full of salads & veges as I'd like, but that's a temporary blip.

Today's plan -

Brekkie - hm muesli
    Lunch - 2 x small pieces of hm pizza
    Dinner - freezer surprise - suspect is bolognaise sauce (bulked out with lentils), so will have this with a little pasta.

If the weather stays as lovely as it is this morning, I'll take a wee walk at lunchtime.

Enjoy your Tuesday.

LB xx
  • amyloofoo
    amyloofoo Posts: 1,804 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Following the advice yesterday, I just pulled out my old Kinect fitnes game - put on the evaluation training programme as I've not done it for a while and didn't realise they'd keep making it harder if you seemed to be coping, so I powered through well past the point where I was comfortable and ended up exercising until I was sick... oops :rotfl:
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Sometimes I have porridge for breakfast with peanut butter mixed in. It sounds revolting, but it really is yummy! It fills me up for AGES. I use muesli base instead of porridge oats, as it's a lot chewier. I can't stand the sloppy type of ready mix porridge!
    I sometimes have porridge with a banana and peanut butter - delish! :drool: and it keeps me full for aaaages :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family