PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• hattifattener
    Options
    Just a quick reply.

Up to 18/100 on the Ditch 100 in Jan challenge, including 2 old appointment diaries (why do I keep these things?) books, clothes and bric-a-brac in the charity bag for Tuesday. I get collection bags about twice a week through my door but it's really rare that I actually get one from a real charity and not just one of those 'for every 50,000 tonnes of free stuff we get we will donate 20p to charity' ones.
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    I get collection bags about twice a week through my door but it's really rare that I actually get one from a real charity and not just one of those 'for every 50,000 tonnes of free stuff we get we will donate 20p to charity' ones.

Ditto here - I was really chuffed to get one collecting on Monday who are a charity that I want to support AND they are collecting stuff to go in their shops rather than going through a collection company. I have filled two bags and a large box for them so far!

While the kids were having their bath today I had a root in the cupboard on the landing and have uncovered:

- old bath toys (Freecycled, broken ones in the bin)
    - two old potties (Freecycle - they're clean so hope someone can use)
    - old hair straighteners and an electronic manicure set, both unwanted gifts and hopefully worth something on local buying/selling site
    - picnic basket with plastic plates etc (charity shop)
    - empty gift hamper (donate to school PTA for raffle prize hampers)

and a few bits of junk that have gone in the bin. Hooray :j
    Best bit was discovering some toiletries and other useable items at the back which will save me a few pennies on groceries this month :)
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    PS Hattifattener, I love your username. The Hattifatteners were our favourite Moomintroll characters when we were kids :)
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • loopychriss
    Options
    Ditch 100 things in January

Started today and have found the following things I think I can live without!:undecided

Black holdall bag
    Black handbag
    Book – Dawn French Dear Fatty
    Blue plastic storage box
    Clear plastic storage box
    Silver musical carousel for baby gift
    2 pictures
    2 recipe books
    Toiletry bag
    Wooden jigsaw - all these will go to the charity shop on Monday

2 hand/body lotions & 1 Royal Jelly bath foam - going to homeless shelter

Long cardboard box from a bracelet - going to grandson's nursery

So that's 16 fewer things cluttering up the house.....
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• hattifattener
    Options
    Thanks spiddy :) We love the Moomin books in our house - indoctrinating the baby with them!
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January challenge

Hello,
    Please may I join? Contrary to my user name, my home is full of clutter :o so I really need to make a start...

Things I have thrown away/recycled or put in charity bag:

1. Shoes
    2. Bra
    3. Pants - 15 pairs
    4. Socks - 4 pairs
    5. Belts - 2
    6. Christmas cards
    7. Sewing Box
    8. Potato Ricer
    9. Garlic Peeler
    10. Lip Gloss
    11. Spaghetti fork.

So 11 down, 89 to go... :)
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • theonlynuttytart
    Options
    Can i join the ditch 100 in January challenge please?

1) freecycled cat basket
    2) freecycled cat litter pod
    3) sold two light fittings
    4) Freecycled 1 bedside cabinet
    5) tipped 3 binbags of old paint from shed
    6) gave away steel bin
    7) gave away steel bathroom cabinet
    8) gave away a box of nappies i found in the loft!
    9) freecycled small drawer unit

not bad for a days work! :D
    Sealed Pot Member 1269 :D VSP... TO UPDATE!
    No more toiletries challenge..... Making progress! :T
    GROCERY CHALLENGE £100 January 2012 :j
    I MUST RESIST CHOCOLATE! WELL SOME OF IT ANYWAY!
    :EasterBun:EasterBun:EasterBun
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    evening all,
    while out visiting family yesterday the power went off in our friends house. He keeps everything and i mean everything, so he had a torch and was busy searching through the cupboard where he thought his candles were, after half an hour wasted looking for candles the power came back on. this helped me to persuade a reluctant husband to the benefits of decluttering "poor mr x couldnt find what he needed because all he could find was stuff he didnt need" i recited to my husband on the way home, reluctant husband "i take your point" ha ha ha knew i would get him one way or the other.

today a pan set was gifted
    some kitchen utensils gifted
    a chipped mug binned
    and some xmas sweets and biscuits were munched

We are all doing so well
    regards
    :j
  • darwins_mum
    Options
    Evening all, glad to read that we are all having a good go at keeping the tide of sheite out of our houses. I felt jubilant shifting the bags of bedding from Webeside the porch door. the pyrex dishes didnt make it to the charity shop though. a large cardboard box that has been lurking in the kitchen since august finally bit the dust. 70% of its contents were decanted into another box still lurking in the kitchen, but 30% went in the bin. I will deal with the 70% in due course, when I feel able. some stuff is needed, but obviously not that badly as it has been in a said box for 5 months untouched.
    My extended family exchange yuletide gifts after the festive season is over, for the last few years I have refused to join in as I now realise that for a while I have struggled to accept gifts that I view as clutter, and give people gifts that normally end up in either a charity shop unused or worse - landfill.
    We are by no means a particularly affluent family, but certain members insist on giving quite extravagant gifts to each other - ipads, gizmos and hand held devices. All paid for on credit and further adding to the general clutter in their houses. I came away feeling a little sullied. I used to think it was envy on my part, but as I watched a family member respond to the reminder on her Iphone to take her anti-depressants, I remembered why I no longer participate in crass consumption.
    All of that stuff does not buy us happiness
    stay well
    DM
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2015 £48.58/£200 :eek:
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I've listed 7 tops on ebay this evening, 1 has a watcher already so thats a good start

We might of sold 5 items on selling page but i'm off to pick up an item 2mora well guess 5 out 1 in not bad, it's a kiddies workbench for LO that we have been looking at for weeks, and found a good 1 for £10 bargin LO will love it
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family