TYO's 2012 MF House Fund!....

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 8 September 2023 at 3:57PM
    Options

Yes I think I would be the same as your DD Im scared even thinking about the book ... worse than films as all you have is your imagination! :rotfl:

Just bought it for Kindle :eek:, will read it in Spain cos it's bright and there are no ghosties there :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello all!
    Its been aaages since I updated here, lots going on .. the long and short of it is .....
    • Another months starting with me trying to stick to grocery budget, am aiming for £150 this month to see if that is more realistic! Spends so far stand at £131.94 (and aiming for it to stretch the entire month -23 more days- till payday with minimal additions!)
    • £65ish to come from musicmagpie and mysteryshopping
    • Couple of weekends/dinners with friends which I am taking supplies we already have and baking cakes for to lower costs!
    • Better savings a/cs set up!
    • House deposit fund standing at almost £45,000 :beer:
    Hope everyone is well!

x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2012 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Evening!
    Just thought Id do a quick update to get myself re-focused!

Goals for the next few weeks..
    • Use up cupboards and freezer stores! Currently lots of freezer (easy) meals plus soups , casseroles and frozen veg which I cooked up earlier today . Also made cakes, flapjacks and bread (6 more mixes left to use up! :D)
    • Keep a spending diary to see where the money is going ... some of what I thought I was saving appears to have been misplaced :eek: (possibly spent...:rotfl:)
    • Make the most of freebies!
    Achievements lately have been...
    • £68 cheque from Mystery shop
    • £11 from musicmagpie
    • Free cravendale milk voucher today! :D
    • Saving £20 p/m on life insurance
    Onwards and upwards on the savings!!...
  • MrTyo
    MrTyo Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I have been able to sneak out at this unearthly time and even been able to make 2 posts today!! TYO has been very good recently, however i have let us down a bit as i dared to buy some food!!We are both currently saving well and OP my Mortgage well so, so far so good this year is looking better than last year :)

Just wondering if anyone has any huge Money saving tips recently?

Incidentally my post time says its an 3:55 when its 4:55 hmmmm.....
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MrTyo wrote: »
    I have been able to sneak out at this unearthly time and even been able to make 2 posts today!! TYO has been very good recently, however i have let us down a bit as i dared to buy some food!!We are both currently saving well and OP my Mortgage well so, so far so good this year is looking better than last year :)

Just wondering if anyone has any huge Money saving tips recently?

Not huge, but if you get a stinking cold you'll stay in and not spend anything :(

Sometimes nothing exciting happens but if you actually stop and look you'll see you're making progress and have made some changes which are just part of your life now. For example, how many takeaways and coffees have you had in the past month? How does that compare to a few years ago (or has Mrs TYO never let you eat ;))?
    MrTyo wrote: »
    Incidentally my post time says its an 3:55 when its 4:55 hmmmm.....

User CP > Edit Options > Date & Time > (GMT) Western Europe Time
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well hello mrtyo !! :)
    This is what you do when Im fast asleeep? Glad I have rubbed off on you!! :rotfl:you are allowed to go food shopping too! there is lots of yummy stuff in the fridge now!! :D

Aw gg hope your cold is better soon!! I would like to dispel all notions that I dont feed poor old mrtyo ....:p starvation isnt my MF plan!!

Not sure on the takeaway front- definitely less than a couple of years ago!! think before reaching for the phone now!

Been squirrelling away money and expenses for this month into the house fund this month so its looking good!
    Also keeping a spending diary to figure out where Im spending my money!...:eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning all!!
    Thought Id update as Im up early-ish for a saturday, just having a cuppa watching cooking programmes on tv (which are making me hungry so may go in search of breakfast.....)

MF achievements of late...
    • worked out have saved £7051 since end of December towards house fund! :D
    • expenses claimed so £160 to come next week
    • have set up an amazon box for any books/dvds which might be sell-able, I have 2 work type books that I might try thier trade in but for £15 ish not sure its worth it as may use the books more!
    • resisted takeaway last night and used up food we had in , had burgers followed by chocolate cake for desert washed down with a nice cold cider- didnt suffer!! :p
    • Have been trying to use up food we have in and get grocery budget down £160ish for the month so far but have a lot of stuff which will last much longer with top up shops to add to it (lots of baking stuff, pasta/rice, tinned veg etc.. in )
    • Still have £15 p/m from halifax coming in between us
    • Ordered cinema and meal vouchers with clubcard so could be a date night on the cards (if youre reading mtryo!:D)
    • FD 8% savings accounts set up too!
    • Free milk and free cakes x 2 vouchers recieved
    Phew- feel exhausted just looking at it - better go and make myself another cuppa after that!

Hope all are well
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello tyo, think you've done incredibly well saving that much since December!

Have you seen amaz0n are doing you get an extra £5 for trading in books over £10 until end of June I think? Might swing it for you.

If you could point me in way of free milk and cakes vouchers I would be eternally grateful ;). I have a free tropicana voucher on its way to me, ridiculously excited!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey mw :)
    The free milk was a cravendale one on fb on a friday and you had to register between 11am and 2pm for a chance to win. Ive got a feeling this week was last one for a while but it would be worth checking...

Free cakes were tesco (through fb) , mostly I hang about the food and groceries boards and lots of lovely helpful people posting about deals etc.. or on the coupon thread!

Yes have done pretty well I guess to save that much - Im a bit of a perfectionist tho so read about other peoples savings/low mortgages and always feel I could be doing better! ;)

will have another look on amazon- thanks for that- do you know if each book would need to be over £10 or just a total of £10 ? ... will have a nosey around to see if its worth doing!

One more dvd sold on amazon this morning, so will post that tomorrow, have also had a good old declutter of our bedroom over the weekend so feel very virtuous!:A
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2012 at 8:17PM
    Options
    Afternoon all!
    Not much to report on the MF front just waiting for payday now! :rotfl:
    Amazon money in , house (largely) decluttered ... not much found to sell! ;) possibly a book and a box set will check later prices on amazon...

Have food almost pouring out of the cupboards and freezer so on a mission to use up before re-filling with new stuff! Will need to meal plan to achieve this rather than mindlessly shop! would like to aim for £100 food budget for this month - given that we have a lot in!

In good news got a bit of a payrise! :D not sure how much it will be permonth but will find out soon!

No grand moneymaking schemes other than this - mrtyo is taking me on a date this weekend with rewards purchased with clubcard vouchers! my brainwashing has paid off!! :T:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure