TYO's 2012 MF House Fund!....

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey macgirl
    Yep this is for dailies, I dont tend to wear them everyday at the mo as my eyes get irritated quite easily - have 3 months supply at the mo so alternating btwn glasses and lenses, but then Im gonna look into specsavers to see if they do cheaper deals :) do you wear your glasses the rest of the time? Im too vain most of the time! ;)

Thanks Jellie!
    I go through spurts on the cooking but when I do I really enjoy it- good luck with getting back into it!

Not much news on the moneysaving front from my end, still using up freezer and cupboards and trying not to go shopping for another 2 weeks - shall see how we go!!
    Also put a couple of things on amazon...
    rooted through all old magazines and books so I dont waste money on new ones ..
    doing well on the exercise challenge too!
  • wantabetterlife
    Options
    TYO have you tried VisionDirect for your lenses...i used dailies before i had my laser surgery done and they were the cheapest. You can also go through quidco and earn cashback :D
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, just thought but have you used martins savings tool, pop in a % rate and target amount and it tells you how long it will take to save with the interest taken into account.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2012 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Hey guys
    wabl - good idea, I will look into quidco/tcb but may need to link to an optician as my eyes dont tolerate lenses as well now!

newgirly - oooo good idea , I love a good savings tool! Ill have a good nose! Itd be nice to have a picture of how long it may take!...

Was gonna go whoopsie shopping today but didnt, also havent done my workout - boo!! :( not as sucessful a day as Id hoped! still no money spent except petrol!
    Still hoping to reign it in and stay on the healthy eating and exercise bandwagon for what its worth!
    Also one of things I listed on amazon sold - yay!

Cant believe the weekend has gone so quickly ... almost monday morning again!...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Evening all!
    Not much MF news to report other than the fact I can see the back of my freezer!!!! :eek::eek::D

I have been doing fairly well on the using up the cupboards and freezer challenge (tho I may have done a bit of a top up shop!) everything in the cupboard still in date tho!

made £10ish on amazon sales this week
    £32 tcb from joining online ww
    and payday next week!! :beer:

nothing else exciting am looking forward to the weekend only one more day to go!!
    hope everyone is well, feel like I havent caught up on much but here willing you all along in spirit!
  • MrTyo
    MrTyo Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2012 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Just thought i would let you all know that i am alive and hungry, i mean well! (with the new fitness drive by TYO means she cant keep an eye on me whilst doing the shred so i get to forage for food!). Although i havent put many updates in (forgot my p/w) i have still been lurking, and indeed seen Lois feeding the american troll in the other topic! Hope everyone is well and that you all have a good 2012. I also just wanted to pick peoples brains and check something. If a mortgage interest is worked out daily i assume its better to do monthly overpayments rather than lump sum payments?

Oh also now TYO is saving for us it means i get to OP my mortgage off more. A very basic s.o.a for you is:

Mortgage remaining: £107,921. (just over 26yrs to go)
    Monthly repayments: £531.03 (currently just on Halifax SVR, no point remortgaging, other rates arnt that comparable plus looking to get a joint house next year sometime so dont want to get locked it/pay fees!)
    From End of february 2012 i hope to pay of our 0% interest card which will hopefully mean i will be able to OP £450 a month, which should start chipping it away alot quicker!

Looking at the above it isnt really a S.O.A but TYO is better at doing all that stuff which she pretty much already has at the start.
  • Sepa74
    Sepa74 Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mr TYO, it's good to see you're still alive and kicking.

I bet you can't wait to start OPing the £450pcm once the loan is paid off... have you looked at any mortgage calculators to see what the effect that money will have on your term?

Could be fun!
    Borrowed £150,000 in an offset tracker mortgage in May 2007 - MFD May 2041 (67)

Jan 2012 - £125,620.02 / 2,913.87 / Nov 2032 (58) :beer:
    Apr 2012 - £122,901.88 / 3,170.91 / Jul 2032 (58)
    Jul 2012 - £122, 589.02 / 3,507.99 / Sept 2032 (58)
    Oct 2012 - £120,476.31 / 3,889.42 / July 2032 (58)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey Sepa and Mrtyo ;)
    Good to see you are amusing yourself whilst Im slaving away doing the shred! :rotfl:
    (plus for any worriers out there he is very much getting fed despite my "use up the cupboards" challenge ;)
    Mrtyo SOA looking pretty good! as will the OPs ...

Sepa- how are you doing, hope all is well I have to catch up on diaries too!!

In moneysaving news, one more amazon sale (the last thing listed) which Ill post tomorrow!
    £30ish in tcb (wont be for a month or so I dont imagine!)
    Pay day in a week (its been a looooong old time since December's payday - or at least feels that way!) plus some work expenses to put in at the end of the month!
    Plan on wacking a fair great chunk of savings into "big-house-deposit" fund once Ive been paid so shall report back then!

In other news, did a shred again today (it was much harder work having not done it for a week!!) quick question to the other shred-nutters do you do it every day, is it literally what it says on the box every day for 30 days. Am aiming for 3x per wk at the moment (and hoping to get a handle on the eating health too !) I dont know Id be able to walk if I did it every day but it may be something to aim for 5-6 times a week! ... Ill see if I can walk in the morning first! :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning all!
    Payday has come and £1100 into the house fund! :)
    Slightly expensive month one way or another but going well for the future savings!!
    Food shopping going well and so far I think at just over £100 ish for jan got a £5 off £30 spend voucher for aldi which should make the rest of the month go smoothly!!
    Plan for weekend is cheapish and gonna cook up some soups and cakes and stew to get us through the next few days!
  • museumworker
    Options
    I just had a look at your SOA, and couldn't work out whether that was 2 people's incomes or 1? I would personally recommend filling in every line - holiday, car tax, insurance etc - even if you budget annually, give a monthly amount, as it will give a better idea of your outgoings (found it hard to work out where the money was coming from for that amount).

In terms of changes, I would say the life assurance was high - I pay £22 for 2 x life assurances for £200,000, level term, 25 years. I got it them through one of the sites recommended on the guide on here, where you pay £35 for them to arrange them for you but get better rates. No cashback, but that £70 I paid in 2 x arrangement fees was saved within the first 10 months, and I have 24+ more years of savings on that :D!

Well done on the monthly savings :j! Looking forward to following your house hunt, and mrtyo sounds very onboard too, which is great. Re: his query on OPs, if you can make monthly/odd OPs without any charge, I think that does work out better than saving up and doing in a lumpsum. I pay a few quid here and there whenever I can without penalty. But some people have a min OP amount set by their bank, hence why they might save it up.

Re: the shred, I did it about 3-4 times a week, I think if you did do it every day for a month you'd see faster results, but doing it at all any time
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport