TYO's 2012 MF House Fund!....

Origonal title huh?

Though I would start a shiney new diary a few days early and differentiate between years of blabbering on about myself for anyone interested enough to listen!! :p;)

Having finished off 2011 technically mortgage free (and house free!) my next big step is to hammer away at savings for one day in the future where we have a big house! (or at least modest size with a garden and a man-shed for mrtyo!)

My aims for this year to help with this achievements are:

*Keep grocery spends to £1500 for the year- this could result in being creative, using up all the stuff in cupboards and freezer rather than buying more(!) and being much better at cooking and not wasting food!

*Make the most of freebies, vouchers, competitions for "free" stuff

*Look into life insurance and car breakdown etc.. to check Im getting the best deals

*any purchases/big purchases check through tcb etc.. before buying.

*Buy some of the presents for next year in the sales! (done already!)

*Keep taking in pack lunches to work - this should also help with the health kick Im planning starting 1st Jan :D

I will post an SOA soon once Ive worked it out!

My Aim for a deposit will eventually be £100K but Im not sure yet how long that will take ..... you may see me around for another few years yet!! :rotfl:

Comments

• New Years Resolutions...
    1) Lose 7lb in January! Am aiming to stick to some kind of weight watchers programme so we shall see if it works!
    2)Exercise at least twice a week
    3)No alcohol in January (:eek::eek: hoping it will help with the weight loss!)
    4)Learn to cook at least one new thing a month!
    5) Keep to grocery/cleaning budget of £1500 for 2012 spent so far £137 :D(and its not even 2012 yet I know!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 January 2012 at 4:16PM
    Okay so have had a little play around and worked out an SOA for 2012! exciting reading for sure!!

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 2
    Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................£2017 (mine)
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income....................
    Monthly Expense Details
    Mobile phone............................ 12
    Groceries etc. ......................... 150
    Clothing................................ from personal spends
    Union ...................................11.70
    Petrol/diesel........................... 350 (for 2 cars)
    Road tax................................ 67 (£800 p/yrthis covers £125 tax per yr, £350 MOT/any repairs, £330 car ins)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc)....46contact lenses (dalies- could look at getting these cheaper)
    Life assurance ......................... 31.12 insures full mortgage amount when I had one so not sure this is a good amount to pay or not, may look into cheaper options/switching for a bonus?..
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)......16.50 (200 per yr try and get sales bargains/use vouchers!)
    Entertainment........................... 150 -includes haricuts,clothes any one off prescriptions etc..
    Holiday.................................83(£1000 p/yr hopefully to cover one weekend break and one summer hols!)
    Emergency fund.......................... In place

Total monthly expenses.................. £917.40
    Available to save per month £1099.6
    (aiming for £1200 savings per month with vouchers, amazon sales etc..)

Created using the SOA calculator at www.makesenseofcards.com.

Im not sure if Im being a little too optimistic on sticking to this £1200 a month savings would be phenomenal but dont want to have no life at the same time! After this year car/presents/holiday expenses would probably add on a couple of hundred quid a month too!
    Any suggestions welcome I know not all categories are covered we have an elaborate (or chaotic! :rotfl:) system for working out who pays what!
  • Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck with the deposit saving, Tyo. Just think, "interest" will be a nice word not a nasty one. :D
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi tyo good luck saving up £100k , if i had read that a couple of years ago i would have thought how on earth is that possible unless you are super rich, but after a couple of years on here I know these things can be achieved with a lot of planning and hard work, best of luck and a happy new year.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Thanks guys! :)
    Yep saving up 100K still seems a way off but if I can save £15K a year then thats only *goes off to count*...

...... ummmm.... 6 years (give or take £10000)

actually 6 more years doesnt sound too overwhelming!! Just need to make sure mrtyo does the same and we are sorted! :rotfl:
  • Happy new diary! Remind me to come back and comment on your SOA, but in the meantime have a very happy new year - wishing you all the best for 2012.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2023 at 2:57PM
    Thanks guys! :)
    Yep saving up 100K still seems a way off but if I can save £15K a year then thats only *goes off to count*...

...... ummmm.... 6 years (give or take £10000)

actually 6 more years doesnt sound too overwhelming!! Just need to make sure mrtyo does the same and we are sorted! :rotfl:

And all the time the compound interest will be helping you. :D
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • Thanks mw :) will look forward to your comments! You guys have done amazing over the last year! need some of that inspiration and motivation!

Lois- yep will be nice to think of interest in a good way for once too! ;)

Happy new year all! hope you all had a good nite last night!

I managed a shred this morning so feeling pretty virtuous ... but now want chocolate so trying to distract myself from it!
    First new year goal health and fitness! 1st 4lb to lose and want to get exercise up to 3 x per wk!
  • macgirl
    macgirl Posts: 5,091
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2023 at 2:57PM
    contact lenses (dalies- could look at getting these cheaper)

Hi there TYO!

Is this per month for Daily CL's? I pay £45 for a 3 month supply from asda. They have an optician in the one near where I work so I can pop in during my lunch hour and then all my details are online for them to dispense. The delivery is very quick too.

I try not to wear them every day, so they tend to last me 4-6 months :money: Hope you can save some money!
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018
    Forumite
    Looking forward to seeing your progress this year. I must get back to trying new recipes again- I really enjoyed it when I did it regularly.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport